Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Friday, February 17, 2012

RIP Gary Carter

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Captain Michael J. Daly (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on April 18, 1945 at Nuremberg, Germany. His citation reads:

Early in the morning of 18 April 1945, he led his company through the shell-battered, sniper-infested wreckage of Nuremberg, Germany. When bl1stering machinegun fire caught his unit in an exposed position, he ordered his men to take cover, dashed forward alone, and, as bullets whined about him, shot the 3-man guncrew with his carbine. Continuing the advance at the head of his company, he located an enemy patrol armed with rocket launchers which threatened friendly armor. He again went forward alone, secured a vantage point and opened fire on the Germans. Immediately he became the target for concentrated machine pistol and rocket fire, which blasted the rubble about him. Calmly, he continued to shoot at the patrol until he had killed all 6 enemy infantrymen. Continuing boldly far in front of his company, he entered a park, where as his men advanced, a German machinegun opened up on them without warning. With his carbine, he killed the gunner; and then, from a completely exposed position, he directed machinegun fire on the remainder of the crew until all were dead. In a final duel, he wiped out a third machinegun emplacement with rifle fire at a range of 10 yards. By fearlessly engaging in 4 single-handed fire fights with a desperate, powerfully armed enemy, Lt. Daly, voluntarily taking all major risks himself and protecting his men at every opportunity, killed 15 Germans, silenced 3 enemy machineguns and wiped out an entire enemy patrol. His heroism during the lone bitter struggle with fanatical enemy forces was an inspiration to the valiant Americans who took Nuremberg.

Corporal Anthony Peter Damato (US Marine Corps) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on February 19-20, 1944 on Engebi Island, Eniwetok Atoll, Marshall Islands. His citation reads:

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty while serving with an assault company in action against enemy Japanese forces on Engebi Island, Eniwetok Atoll, Marshall Islands, on the night of 1920 February 1944. Highly vulnerable to sudden attack by small, fanatical groups of Japanese still at large despite the efficient and determined efforts of our forces to clear the area, Cpl. Damato lay with 2 comrades in a large foxhole in his company's defense perimeter which had been dangerously thinned by the forced withdrawal of nearly half of the available men. When 1 of the enemy approached the foxhole undetected and threw in a hand grenade, Cpl. Damato desperately groped for it in the darkness. Realizing the imminent peril to all 3 and fully aware of the consequences of his act, he unhesitatingly flung himself on the grenade and, although instantly killed as his body absorbed the explosion, saved the lives of his 2 companions. Cpl. Damato's splendid initiative, fearless conduct and valiant sacrifice reflect great credit upon himself and the U.S. Naval Service. He gallantly gave his life for his comrades.

Sergeant James T. Daniels (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on March 7, 1890 in Arizona. His citation reads:

Untiring energy and cool gallantry under fire in an engagement with Apache Indians.


RIP Gary Carter. The man who played the game of baseball with such joy and enthusiasm that he was nicknamed “The Kid” has passed away at the age of 57. There was a time when 57 was old… now it seems far too young for a hall of famer to die. Carter played for the Montreal Expos, New York Mets, San Francisco Giants and Los Angeles Dodgers. He was an 11 time All-Star and hit 324 career homers back before the ball (and the players) were juiced. He was also a guest on a TV show (“The Baseball Bunch”) that was hosted by Johnny Bench. The show taught kids how to play the game… and if they’d watch it, it could probably teach some Major League baseball players how to have fun. I think deep down (or maybe not so deep down) most fans want pro athletes to recognize and appreciate how lucky they are to have a chance to make a living playing a game millions grow up loving to play. Gary Carter was one of those guys who “got it”.

I know this isn’t “Picture Tuesday”, but I thought I’d share this picture of my grandfather with his mom and siblings…
Henry, George (my grandfather), Jimmy, Gene, MaMa (their mom), Belvin, Gertrude and Madelin
I'm not 100% sure, but I am 99.9% sure that the order of birth was...

Gertrude, Madeline, Henry, Cecil, George (Da), Jimmy, Julia, Belvin, Gene.  Cecil died as a baby, Julia was the first to die as an adult (in her 40's, I believe) followed by Belvin (in 1983), Uncle Henry (1988), Uncle Jimmy (in 1990, I think), George (Da... in 1995), Aunt Madelin (1996), Aunt Gertrude (1999) and now Uncle Gene (2012).  So Henry and Ethel Horres had at least one living child from 1900 - 2012... that's a pretty good run if you ask me. 

The I’m just sayin… Know Your South Carolina Athlete

The athlete we are going to look at this week is former Winthrop basketball great Greg Lewis. He came to Winthrop as a junior college transfer. In his time at WU, he led the Eagles to two Big South championships. In the 2001-2002 he was named the Big South Player of the Year and (AND!) the MVP of the 2002 Big South Tournament. He was also the Tournament MVP in 2000 as well as a First Team All-Big South member in 2000 and 2002 (he redshirted in 2001 due to an injury). After receiving his degree, Lewis played professionally overseas and was signed by the NBDL’s Greenville Grrrowl. What you really need to know about Greg Lewis is that he was a freaking man. I had the pleasure of being at Winthrop during his career there. I didn’t know him… he may have been the nicest guy in the world… but he looked like he was cut from stone and that he could, at any moment, rip your heart out with his bare hand. He also had these gold contacts that he would wear around campus from time to time and if you weren’t ready for it (and really, even if you were) it would take your breath away and make your body go cold with fear. I tell you this not because it happened to me once… I tell you this because it happened to me many times. He was a 6’6” Forward who could score and rebound. In his 67 games at Winthrop, Greg averaged 14.8 points per game and 8.1 rebounds per game. I’m not a basketball expert by any means, but I can tell you Winthrop, Clemson and USC could all use a player like Greg Lewis on their team this season (and every season).

No comments:

Post a Comment