Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Thursday, February 9, 2012

Happy Birthday Travis!

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Sergeant Louis Cukela (US Marine Corps) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on July 18, 1918 near Villers-Cotterets, France. His citation reads:

When his company, advancing through a wood, met with strong resistance from an enemy strong point, Sgt. Cukela crawled out from the flank and made his way toward the German lines in the face of heavy fire, disregarding the warnings of his comrades. He succeeded in getting behind the enemy position and rushed a machinegun emplacement, killing or driving off the crew with his bayonet. With German handgrenades he then bombed out the remaining portion of the strong point, capturing 4 men and 2 damaged machineguns. SECOND AWARD For extraordinary heroism while serving with the 66th Company, 5th Regiment, during action in the Forest de Retz, near Viller-Cottertes, France, 18 July 1918. Sgt. Cukela advanced alone against an enemy strong point that was holding up his line. Disregarding the warnings of his comrades, he crawled out from the flank in the face of heavy fire and worked his way to the rear of the enemy position. Rushing a machinegun emplacement, he killed or drove off the crew with his bayonet, bombed out the remaining part of the strong point with German handgrenades and captured 2 machineguns and 4 men.

Corporal Thomas Cullen (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on October 14, 1863 at Bristoe Station, Virginia. His citation reads:

Capture of flag of 22d or 28th North Carolina (C.S.A.).

Sergeant Major Amos J. Cummings (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on May 4, 1863 at Salem Heights, Virginia. His citation reads:

Rendered great assistance in the heat of the action in rescuing a part of the field batteries from an extremely dangerous and exposed position.


We at I’m just sayin… would like to wish our good friend Travis a happy birthday! We hope he has a good one.




Thankful Thursday

This week I am thankful for Mary Ruth. I probably don’t tell her this enough. In fact, I sometimes feel like I scold her 99% of the time I’m with her… but truth is she helps out a ton with her little sister and little brother. I love watching her play with them. And really, the “bad” stuff that I get on her for is nothing nowhere near as bad as stuff I did growing up. Sure, I didn’t suffer two concussions before my 6th birthday… but still. I get on her for jumping on the sofa. Are you kidding me?! I did a lot worse than that inside growing up with Sonny and my cousin Louis. Tackle football… full contact basketball… wrestling. You name it, we did it. But I have a mini-stroke every time she runs inside. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying I’m going to change… I’m just saying I understand the irony of the situation. Anyway, I’m very thankful for Mary Ruth. She has a very kind heart and has done a great job taking her medicine each night even though she hates it and says it tastes bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment