Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Friday, January 27, 2012

You Should Know...

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Corporal Robert M. Cox (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on May 22, 1863 at Vicksburg, Mississippi. His citation reads:

Bravely defended the colors planted on the outward parapet of Fort Hill.

Chief Gunner’s Mate Robert Edward Cox (US Navy) received his first Medal of Honor for his actions on April 13, 1904 on the USS Pensacola. His citation reads:

For extraordinary heroism on U.S.S. Missouri 13 April, 1904. While at target practice off Pensacola, Fla., an accident occurred in the after turret of the Missouri whereby the lives of 5 officers and 28 men were lost. The ship was in imminent danger of destruction by explosion, and the prompt action of C.G. Cox and 2 gunners' mates caused the fire to be brought under control, and the loss of the Missouri, together with her crew, was averted.

Sergeant John N. Coyne (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on May 5, 1862 at Williamsburg, Virginia. His citation reads:

Capture of a flag after a severe hand-to-hand contest; was mentioned in orders for his gallantry.


Here is a website that will tell you a little more about the fundraiser The Wife is doing for Pattison’s Academy. Below is a video message from my good friend Darius (my words, not his). Take a minute to look at it. The Wife wants to raise $1,000… The goal of the whole event is to raise $100,000. Watch the video, pray about it… and give what you can.




The I’m just sayin… Know Your South Carolina Athlete

Chris Gaynor: The athlete we’re going to look at today is Winthrop basketball legend Chris Gaynor. Gaynor played point guard for Winthrop from ’04-’05 until ’07-’08. He is arguably the greatest pg to ever play for the Eagles. If not the greatest, he’s at least on the short list. At 5’10” and 160 pounds, Gaynor was the floor leader during the most successful four year stretch in Winthrop history. I believe he was named Winthrop’s starting pg during his senior year in high school. I believe he started every game he played in (he only missed a couple of games in the middle of his Junior season due to injury). During his time at Winthrop, the Eagles won 4 Big South Championships and a First Round game over Notre Dame in the 2007 NCAA Tournament. The Eagles had an overall record of 101-31 and a Big South record of 52-8 (which includes a 14-0 conference record his Junior season… the only time in Big South history that a school has gone undefeated in conference play) while Gaynor was at the school. His name can also be found in multiple Top 10 lists in the Winthrop Record Book. Here’s a look at the Career Leaders list for various categories:

Games Played: 2nd with 129 (Michael Jenkins, #1 on the list, played in 131)
Games Started: 1st with 129 (next closest is at 105)
Minutes Played: 1st with 3,890 (next closest is at 3,683)
Assists: 2nd with 567 (#1 on the list, Rick Riese, had 656)
Steals: 2nd with 259 (#1 on the list, Rick Riese, had 476)

At the time of his graduation, Gaynor held the Big South Records for both Assists and Steals (Rick Riese played before Winthrop was in the Big South). He is now second on the Assists list (and is 3rd on the Steals list).

Gaynor is also a member of the 1,000 Points Club. He made the Big South All-Freshman team in ’05. He made the All-Tournament team his Sophomore season. He did not get any all conference awards his Junior season which is something that still disgusts me to this day. It just shows that the sonsofbitches who voted for those awards were too stupid to see past points scored. He made the Big South All-Conference Second Team and All-Tournament Team his Senior year. He should have made First Team, but by then I had learned that the voters were to stupid to trust. I’m not 100% sure what Gaynor is doing these days but he can usually be seen at a Winthrop basketball game. I am happy to call him a friend (even though he doesn’t know me).

No comments:

Post a Comment