Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Friday, January 20, 2012

You had to see this coming…

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Fireman First Class Demetri Corahorgi (US Navy) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on January 25, 1905 on board the USS Iowa. His citation reads:

Serving on board the U.S.S. Iowa for extraordinary heroism at the time of the blowing out of the manhole plate of boiler D on board that vessel, 25 January 1905.

Private John Corcoran (US Army) received his first Medal of Honor for his actions on April 2, 1865 at Petersburg, Virginia. His citation reads:

Was one of a detachment of 20 picked artillerymen who voluntarily accompanied an infantry assaulting party, and who turned upon the enemy the guns captured in the assault.

Corporal Michael Corcoran (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on August 25, 1869 at Agua Fria River, Arizona. His citation reads:

Gallantry in action.


I’m just sayin… would like to endorse someone in the Republican primary, but we’re scared that whoever we endorse will drop out of the race before Saturday. So we’re going to keep our thoughts to ourselves.

So… tomorrow is kind of a big day. I’m just sayin…

When I walk down the hall from my office to the elevator, I can look out the window and through a little space between two buildings I can see a little bit of James Island. I make sure to stop and look at least once every day.

I’ve had some good emails with Jenn, KC and Danny (yes, that Danny) the past couple of days. It kind of reminded me of my pre-blog days. Of course, they all made fun of me and I was nothing but nice to them. Such is my life…

Word hitting the web yesterday was that Rick Santorum received more votes in Iowa than Mitt Romney… which is a little awkward since the GOP had previously awarded the contest to Romney. So… to make up for this they are calling it a split decision.

In other news, Clemson is now calling the Orange Bowl a split decision.

I think Scooby is having second thoughts about living with us. It was all fun and games when he got here… but now Susie and Daniel are a little too… how should I say it… friendly with him. I’m going to try to get a video of it.

While we won’t endorse anyone in the primary, I’m just sayin… is ready to endorse Kevin Hart as our new favorite comedian. He replaces Ron White (who is still a very close second). Kevin’s show is probably rated R… maybe PG-13… but if you can look past the language, it’s very funny. He makes me laugh very hard. The wife doesn’t even crack a smile, which I can only assume means she loves it since that’s how she is when I’m making people laugh.


The I’m just sayin… Know Your South Carolina Athlete

I decided that it wouldn’t be fair to you for me to have this segment on my blog without talking about perhaps the greatest brother duo to ever play baseball at James Island High School in completely different eras and not play in college. Of course, it is well known throughout my parents house that I am talking about me and Sonny. I thought about picking just one of us to talk about, but I couldn’t decide who. I was going to ask my Dad to pick, but I knew what he’d say. He’d go on and on about how great of a player Sonny was and how he could do no wrong and blah, blah, blah… The thing you have to realize about Dad is that he wouldn't recognize great baseball talent if it lived with him for 18 years, went to a top university for 5 years, moved to Summerville, got married, had three children (2 girls, 1 boy), started a great blog and turned 33 this Saturday. I’m just sayin… Anyway, Sonny played in what could be called the “Media Era”. You see boys and girls, back in the mid to late 1980s, the local news media still covered local sports (a lot). I played many years later in the mid 1990s. The bad news for me is that I was a clean player playing during the steroid era. While chicks were digging the long-ball, I was busy playing real baseball; bunting for a base hit, advancing the runner, hustling, getting dirty… old school stuff that the little sissy boy homerun hitters wanted no part of. I went to pretty much all of Sonny’s high school games… he went to… umm… I’m not 100% sure he came to any of my high school games. I know he was at my historic Fall Ball game in Atlanta where I saved Drew Meyer’s life (or something like that… it was a long time ago and I don’t remember the exact details). But back to our careers… I think I’ve talked about this some on here before but I’ll talk about it again (for you, of course). Sonny probably ended his career with more individual accolades… I ended up with more team accomplishments (which worked out well since, you know, it’s a team sport). Between the two of us we won 5 Region Championships, went 2-3 in Lower State Championship Games and won 2 State Championships. He was team MVP his Junior and Senior seasons, I was team MVP my Senior season. Both of us were All-Region players as Juniors and Seniors. Sonny hit .425 his Senior season (I, against much harder pitching, hit .419). His Senior season he received the State Scholar Athlete Award, the Team Leadership Award and made the South All-State Team. My Senior season I was named to the Post and Courier All Lowcountry Team, made the Lowcountry All-Starts and graduated (that was the closest I got to any ‘scholar’ award). We combined for over 80 career steals and were both very solid defensive players. Want to throw up a little? Go hang out with Sonny and a bunch of guys who were Sophomores and Freshmen when he was a Senior. I did this one time and it was like a freakin’ Sonny love-fest. “Oh, he could catch anything… Sonny never missed a ball… Sonny was so great”. Honestly, I wanted to start slapping those guys in the face and point out that they ended up playing in college and the minor leagues so stop drooling over Sonny. So, everyone loved Sonny… but I will say I did get a little love in the High School Sports Report: (After our 2nd State Championship) – “The remaining infielder drew perhaps the greatest praise of them all. Junior second baseman Greg Horres committed only one error the entire season. ‘Horres is the professor of the infield,’ (Coach Tom) Hatley said. ‘He was always in the right place at the right time. He’s a typical blue collar worker. He just goes to work and gets the job done.’ At the plate Horres was second on the team hitting .311 with 18 runs and a dozen stolen bases.” Before the start of my Senior season (in that same paper) Coach Hatley called me the “heart and soul of James Island baseball”. Suck it, Sonny.

Sonny also played 4 years of American Legion baseball for West Ashley. I played 1 year of Legion ball for West Ashley. I would have played 2 years, but the head coach and I had a disagreement my Junior year so I decided to not play Legion ball and instead play Big League baseball (Big League is the older age group of the Little League organization). By “disagreement”, I mean I felt like I should be on the team and he thought I should be cut. I know you want to hate the coach for cutting me, but don’t. I ended up playing for him my Senior season and then coaching for him for many seasons after college. We’re friends now, so your shouldn’t hate him.

So, there you have it… I hope you’re happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment