Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Happy Birthday Clark!!!!

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Corporal John W. Comfort (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on November 5, 1874 at Staked Plains, Texas. His citation reads:

Ran down and killed an Indian.

First Lieutenant Henry A. Commiskey, Sr. (US Marine Corps) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on September 20, 1950 near Yongdungp’o, Korea. His citation reads:

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty while serving as a platoon leader in Company C, in action against enemy aggressor forces. Directed to attack hostile forces well dug in on Hill 85, 1st Lt. Commiskey, spearheaded the assault, charging up the steep slopes on the run. Coolly disregarding the heavy enemy machine gun and small arms fire, he plunged on well forward of the rest of his platoon and was the first man to reach the crest of the objective. Armed only with a pistol, he jumped into a hostile machine gun emplacement occupied by 5 enemy troops and quickly disposed of 4 of the soldiers with his automatic pistol. Grappling with the fifth, 1st Lt. Commiskey knocked him to the ground and held him until he could obtain a weapon from another member of his platoon and killed the last of the enemy guncrew. Continuing his bold assault, he moved to the next emplacement, killed 2 more of the enemy and then led his platoon toward the rear nose of the hill to rout the remainder of the hostile troops and destroy them as they fled from their positions. His valiant leadership and courageous fighting spirit served to inspire the men of his company to heroic endeavor in seizing the objective and reflect the highest credit upon 1st Lt. Commiskey and the U.S. Naval Service.

Major Hartwell B. Compson (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on March 2, 1865 at Waynesboro, Virginia. His citation reads:

Capture of flag belonging to Gen. Early's headquarters.


We at I’m just sayin… would like to wish our good friend Clark a very happy birthday. Clark, as you know, is the husband of our friend Jenn from Courtyard (a semi-annual blog I follow). Seeing as how she is pregnant, we are guessing she is going to try to find a way to make this day all about her (Women… right?). Still, we hope that Clark has a great day and that his wife at least attempts to do something nice for him. Who knows, maybe by reading this blog she will be inspired to be nice to him today. HAPPY BIRTHDAY CLARK!!!

I love reading. I enjoy reading fiction because it gives me a chance to “escape” reality… but I love reading non-fiction because it gives me a chance to learn something I didn’t already know. Yes, contrary to what The Wife might tell you, I don’t think I know it all. The book I’m currently reading is about the Arlington National Cemetery. It’s called On Hallowed Ground by Robert M. Poole. A lot of times, the info I learn might not really have anything to do with the point of the book. For example, something I’ve learned while reading this book is that Union General William T. Sherman died in February 1891… and Confederate General Joseph E. Johnston (84 years old at the time) was one of his pallbearers. These two fought against each other and then later, it seems, became friends. How cool is that?


The I’m just sayin… Quote of the Week

”The longer I live, the more I realize the impact of attitude on life. Attitude, to me, is more important than education, than money, than circumstances, than failures, than successes, than what other people think or say or do. It is more important than appearance, giftedness, or skill. It will make or break a company... a church... a home. The remarkable thing is we have a choice everyday regarding the attitude we embrace for that day. We cannot change our past... we cannot change the fact that people act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the one string we have... and that is our attitude. I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it. And so it is with you... we are in charge of our ATTITUDES”. - Chuck Swindoll

2 comments:

  1. Hey, I ordered an ice cream cake for him that may or may not say "Happy Birthday, Dork." :)

    Guess it is about time to update my semi-annual blog...

    ReplyDelete
  2. must have been a light casket with an 84-yr old pallbearer..............

    ReplyDelete