Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Friday, November 4, 2011

Just picks…

I’ve got a big weekend planned… maybe I’ll let you know how it went on Monday (at least the parts that are ok to share). I’m still getting things ready, so I just have time to post my picks today.

The I’m just sayin... Football Predictions

High School
James Island at West Ashley – I’m picking James Island to win this game.

Summerville at Colleton County – I’m picking Summerville to win this game.

Ashley Ridge played last night so I won’t be picking this game this week.

Dorman vs. Woodmont –I’m picking Dorman to win this game.

College
#10South Carolina at #8Arkansas – 7:15pm (ESPN) – It won’t be easy, but I think the Revolutionary War Heroes will find a way to win this difficult SEC road game.

#11Clemson – The Tigers are off this week.

Navy vs. Troy – 3:30pm (CBS Sports Network) – I’m picking Navy to win this game.

CSU vs. Stony Brook – 1:30pm – I’m picking Stony Brook to win this game.

Wyoming vs. TCU – 12:00pm MT (The Mtn. HD)– I’m picking TCU to win this game.

Appalachian State at Furman – 1:30pm – I’m picking Appalachian State to win this game.

NFL
Pittsburgh vs. Baltimore – 8:20pm (NBC) – I think the Steelers will get some revenge in this game. I’m picking Pittsburgh to win.

Miami at Kansas City – 1:00pm (CBS) – I’m picking Kansas City to win this game.


Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Corporal David B. Champagne (US Marine Corps) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on May 28, 1952 in Korea. His citation reads:

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty while serving as a fire team leader of Company A, in action against enemy aggressor forces. Advancing with his platoon in the initial assault of the company against a strongly fortified and heavily defended hill position, Cpl. Champagne skillfully led his fire team through a veritable hail of intense enemy machine gun, small-arms, and grenade fire, overrunning trenches and a series of almost impregnable bunker positions before reaching the crest of the hill and placing his men in defensive positions. Suffering a painful leg wound while assisting in repelling the ensuing hostile counterattack, which was launched under cover of a murderous hail of mortar and artillery fire, he steadfastly refused evacuation and fearlessly continued to control his fire team When the enemy counterattack increased in intensity, and a hostile grenade landed in the midst of the fire team, Cpl. Champagne unhesitatingly seized the deadly missile and hurled it in the direction of the approaching enemy. As the grenade left his hand, it exploded blowing off his hand and throwing him out of the trench. Mortally wounded by enemy mortar fire while in this exposed position, Cpl. Champagne, by his valiant leadership, fortitude, and gallant spirit of self-sacrifice in the face of almost certain death, undoubtedly saved the lives of several of his fellow marines. His heroic actions served to inspire all who observed him and reflect the highest credit upon himself and the U.S. Naval Service. He gallantly gave his life for his country.

Sergeant Henry F. Chandler (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on June 17, 1864 at Petersburg, Virginia. His citation reads:

Though seriously wounded in a bayonet charge and directed to go to the rear he declined to do so, but remained with his regiment and helped to carry the breastworks.

Coxswain James B. Chandler (US Navy) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on August 5, 1864 while on board the USS Richmond. His citation reads:

On board the U.S.S. Richmond during action against rebel forts and gunboats and with the ram Tennessee in Mobile Bay, 5 August 1864. Cool and courageous although he had just come off the sick list, Chandler rendered gallant service throughout the prolonged action as his ship maintained accurate fire against Fort Morgan and ships of the Confederacy despite extremely heavy return fire. He participated in the actions at Forts Jackson and St. Philip, with the Chalmette batteries, at the surrender of New Orleans and in the attacks on batteries below Vicksburg.

No comments:

Post a Comment