Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Happy November

Wow… It’s already November! Before we get too far into this post, let me take a minute to wish my Uncle Keith a very happy (late) birthday! His birthday was this past Sunday, but I didn’t have a chance to post anything on here until now. HAPPY (late) Birthday Uncle Keith!

We at I’m just sayin… hope you had a fun Halloween. I was going to take Mary Ruth trick-or-treating last night, but she decided she would rather hand out candy. She’s such a sweet girl always thinking about others first… reminds me of me. Here are a couple of pictures from this past Saturday. Our babysitter called us wanting to know if she could take the girls (free of charge) to the trunk-or-treat thing that was going on at the church where Susie and Daniel go to day care. Susie is a witch and Mary Ruth is a princess. I didn’t pick out the costumes but it’s hard to argue with how it played out. Daniel is dressed as a football player (and like the other football players in that uniform that night, he didn’t do much). Haha. I was dressed as a “River Float Gorilla”. The number on my shirt is 29475… that’s the zip code of the river float I went on a couple of years ago.





So, I learned Saturday night that The Wife takes a sporting event loss a lot harder than I do. She was not happy after the Clemson game this past Saturday night. I guess these past nine years have conditioned me for losing more than they have her. She sees the loss and gets mad. I see it, and then put a DVD in of the 2002 Clemson/Ga. Tech game and watch it. Clemson won that game and my friend Tony Elliott had 3 catches (one for a TD). Does that make up for this loss? No… but it made me feel better and that’s what really matters (to me). As far as this past Saturday night… I was more upset that Brent and Herbie were calling the Stanford/other-USC game and not this one. Oh well… maybe if the Tigers and Revolutionary War Heroes win out, they will be the announcers for that game.

Some post-Halloween thoughts:

*If you are at the age where you are too “cool” to wear a costume and/or say “trick or treat”, then you are too “cool” to get candy from me.

*There is NO REASON for anyone in my neighborhood to drive to trick or treat. As if childhood obesity isn’t bad enough.

*If someone gives you candy, say thank you.

*If you put a bowl of candy out on the porch with a sign that says “Take One”… don’t think for a minute that kids will just take one. I mean really, that’s like putting a bowl of candy in front of Scooby and expecting him not to eat any because there’s a sign that says “Not for you, Donkey”.

*If your porch light is on, don’t get mad if kids come knocking on your door.

*If the porch light is off, don’t knock on the door.

*I don’t know what the rules are at other houses as far as when trick-or-treating should start or end, but here’s how it is at my house. We “open” for kids a little after 6:00pm (after we’re done eating supper), but should anyone come before then I will give them candy. Why? Because it’s usually the smallest kids that come around early. I turn off the lights and close the door at 8:30pm. Why? Because I don’t feel the need to keep my house open any later than that to hand out candy. When I ran a store with paying customers, I closed at 6:00pm… so I think I’m being pretty dang generous keeping my light on until 8:30 to give some kid (and at that time of night, usually an older kid) candy.

*If you really don’t want kids to trick or treat at your house, just put apples out every year. After a few years of doing that, kids will start walking by your house like it isn’t even there. Trust me… or ask Sonny or No-Name Teri if you don’t believe me.

The I’m just sayin... Football Predictions Results

High School
James Island vs. Stratford – I picked Stratford to win and I was RIGHT! JI lost, 0-31.

Summerville vs. Beaufort – I picked Summerville to win this game and I was WRONG! Summerville lost, 7-17.

Ashley Ridge at Goose Creek – I picked Goose Creek to win this game and I was RIGHT! Ashley Ridge lost, 3-65.

Dorman at Byrnes –I picked Dorman to win this game and I was WRONG! Dorman lost, 10-31.

College
#14South Carolina at Tennessee – I picked USC to win this game and I was RIGHT! The Revolutionary War Heroes won, 14-3.

#6Clemson at Georgia Tech – I picked Clemson to win this game and I was WRONG! Clemson lost, 17-31.

Navy at Notre Dame – I picked Navy to win this game and I was WRONG! Navy lost, 14-56.

CSU at Gardner-Webb – I picked Gardner-Webb to win this game and I was RIGHT! CSU lost, 7-14.

Wyoming at San Diego State – I picked Wyoming to win this game and I was RIGHT! Wyoming won, 30-27.

Appalachian State vs. Georgia Southern – I picked Appalachian State to win this game and I was RIGHT! Appalachian State won, 24-17.

NFL
Pittsburgh vs. New England – I picked Pittsburgh to win this game and I was RIGHT! The Steelers won, 25-17.

Miami at New York Giants – I picked NY to win this game and I was RIGHT! Miami lost, 17-20.

I’m just sayin… Football Prediction Record

High School: 29-9

College: 38-9

NFL: 10-5

Overall: 77-23


Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Second Lieutenant Orville T. Chamberlain (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on September 20, 1863 at Chickamauga, Georgia. His citation reads:

While exposed to a galling fire, went in search of another regiment, found its location, procured ammunition from the men thereof, and returned with the ammunition to his own company.

Private Joseph P. Chambers (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on March 25, 1865 at Petersburg, Virginia. His citation reads:

Capture of colors of 1st Virginia Infantry (C.S.A.).

Colonel Justice M. Chambers (US Marine Corps) received his Medal of Honor for his actions from February 19-22, 1945 on Iwo Jima, Volcano Islands. His citation reads:

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty as commanding officer of the 3d Assault Battalion Landing Team, 25th Marines, 4th Marine Division, in action against enemy Japanese forces on Iwo Jima, Volcano Islands, from 19 to 22 February 1945. Under a furious barrage of enemy machinegun and small-arms fire from the commanding cliffs on the right, Col. Chambers (then Lt. Col.) landed immediately after the initial assault waves of his battalion on D-day to find the momentum of the assault threatened by heavy casualties from withering Japanese artillery, mortar rocket, machinegun, and rifle fire. Exposed to relentless hostile fire, he coolly reorganized his battle-weary men, inspiring them to heroic efforts by his own valor and leading them in an attack on the critical, impregnable high ground from which the enemy was pouring an increasing volume of fire directly onto troops ashore as well as amphibious craft in succeeding waves. Constantly in the front lines encouraging his men to push forward against the enemy's savage resistance, Col. Chambers led the 8-hour battle to carry the flanking ridge top and reduce the enemy's fields of aimed fire, thus protecting the vital foothold gained. In constant defiance of hostile fire while reconnoitering the entire regimental combat team zone of action, he maintained contact with adjacent units and forwarded vital information to the regimental commander. His zealous fighting spirit undiminished despite terrific casualties and the loss of most of his key officers, he again reorganized his troops for renewed attack against the enemy's main line of resistance and was directing the fire of the rocket platoon when he fell, critically wounded. Evacuated under heavy Japanese fire, Col. Chambers, by forceful leadership, courage, and fortitude in the face of staggering odds, was directly instrumental in insuring the success of subsequent operations of the 5th Amphibious Corps on Iwo Jima, thereby sustaining and enhancing the finest traditions of the U.S. Naval Service.

No comments:

Post a Comment