Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Friday, October 14, 2011

We did it!!!!! (Keep giving!)

Because you people out there are awesome, I have reached (actually passed) my goal for the Memory Walk. After the walk, I will list all donors on here on one post. For now though, I’d like to send a big Thank You to the recent donors. So, THANK YOU to my cousin Deeny, my good friend Jeremy, my sister No-Name Teri and… wait for it… my good friend Danny (yes, that Danny) for their donations to my memory walk.

Interesting story (and true… well, somewhat true… ok, about as true as the last story I told about Danny) about Danny’s donation. During the James Island/Summerville game last Friday night, Danny expressed some doubt about donating to the Memory Walk this year. As you know, Danny has donated every year that I have asked him, so I was not happy to hear this news. So I did the only thing I could think of… I looked him in the eyes (ok, I didn’t do that because we were sitting right next to each other and it would have been very uncomfortable to look him in the eyes)… Anyway, I made Danny a bet. As you know, Danny is a fan of the Revolutionary War Heroes. Not only that, he’s a huge fan of Garcia (he grew up watching Garcia play at USC). Anyway, I’ve been telling Danny all season that Shaw would do a better job playing QB for USC. So, last Friday night I said, “Danny, I’m going to make you a bet. I bet you that Shaw will do such a great job playing QB for USC tomorrow, that the Revolutionary War Heroes will kill Kentucky. Not only that… I bet you he will do such a great job, that USC will kick Garcia off the team before the next game”. Danny agreed to the bet and the rest, as they say, is history.

Yes, I’ve reached my goal but that doesn’t mean you can’t still give. There’s still time to join me in my fight against Alzheimer’s. Don’t wait… give now… Give here.

So things have been real busy and somewhat stressful at work and all week I’ve had a song and a poem stuck in my head. Both of them seem to help get me through the day. I will share them here with you so that they might help you (though the poem might not be helpful to any of you who run your own church or business… though it might).

“My Job” (I’m not sure who wrote it… I’ve seen it a lot of places... and I’m posting this from memory, so I’m not 100% sure this is it exactly, but it’s close enough)

It’s not my job to steer the ship – the horn I’ll never blow,
It’s not my job to say how far the ship’s allowed to go,
It’s not my job to chart the course, I’ll never ring the bell,
But let this damn thing start to sink and see who catches hell!


The song that has been stuck in my head is a classic by Mac Davis… I recommend you sing this first verse (the only one I know) at least once a day:

Oh Lord, it’s hard to be humble/ When you’re perfect in every way./ I can’t wait to look in the mirror/ ‘Cause I get better lookin’ each day./ To know me is to love me./ I must be a hell of a man./ Oh Lord, it’s hard to be humble/ But I’m doing the best that I can.


The I’m just sayin... Football Predictions

High School
James Island at Goose Creek – My guess is JI’s starting QB will miss this game (like he did the Summerville game). I like JI… I just don’t like their chances at Goose Creek. I’m picking the Gators to win this game.

Summerville vs. Wando – It’s hard to pick against the Godfather… err… Coach McKissick at home. I think Wando could beat the Green Wave, but I’m going to pick Summerville to win this game. I was just too impressed with that running back McKissick brought up from the JV team. That kid was fast (and he didn’t mind contact)…

Ashley Ridge at Beaufort – I’m picking Ashley Ridge to win this game.

Dorman at Mauldin – Sorry Doormats… err… “Cowboys”, I’m picking the Mauldin Mavericks to win this game.

College
#15USC at Mississippi State – 12:21pm (SEC Network) – The Connor Shaw Show will go on the road this Saturday to face Mississippi State. I don’t know if he can do to them what he did to Kentucky, but I think he’ll do enough for USC to win. I’m picking the Revolutionary War Heroes to win this game.

#8Clemson at Maryland – 7:00pm (ESPNU) – The big question here is what uniforms will Maryland wear. They have something like 30 different uniform combinations and so far none of them have been great. Still… the law of averages says they’ll wear something for at least one game that won’t make people say, “Oh wow, that’s ugly”. Word on the street is that Taj will be playing for the Tigers. In years past, this was the kind of game that would trip Clemson up. Something tells me this team might be different. Time will tell… I’m picking Clemson to win this game.

Navy at Rutgers – 2:00pm (ESPN3) – It pains me to say it, but I’m picking Rutgers to win this game.

CSU at VMI – 1:30pm (ESPN3) – CSU will have to win two games in a row before I pick them to win again. So, I’m picking VMI to win this game (just like I told you I would).

Wyoming vs. UNLV – 12:00pm MT (The Mtn. HD) – I’m picking Wyoming to win this game.

Appalachian State at The Citadel – 2:00pm – I still pick Appalachian State to win this game. Sorry again, DG.

NFL
Pittsburgh vs. Jacksonville - 1:00pm (CBS) – After last week, I’m going to pick the Steelers to win this game.

Miami at New York Jets (MNF) – 8:30pm (ESPN) – Could this be the game to get Miami’s season turned around? I doubt it. I’m picking the J-E-T-S, Jets! Jets! Jets! to win this game.

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Private Henry Casey (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on April 22, 1863 at Vicksburg, Mississippi. His citation reads:

Voluntarily served as one of the crew of a transport that passed the forts under a heavy fire.

Captain James S. Casey (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on January 8, 1877 at Wolf Mountain, Montana. His citation reads:

Led his command in a successful charge against superior numbers of the enemy strongly posted.

Landsman Michael Cassidy (US Navy) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on August 5, 1864 on board the USS Lackawanna. His citation reads:

Served on board the U.S.S. Lackawanna during successful attacks against Fort Morgan, rebel gunboats and the ram Tennessee, in Mobile Bay, 5 August 1864. Displaying great coolness and exemplary behavior as first sponger of a gun, Cassidy, by his coolness under fire, received the applause of his officers and the guncrew throughout the action which resulted in the capture of the prize ram Tennessee and in the destruction of batteries at Fort Morgan.

No comments:

Post a Comment