Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Friday, September 2, 2011

Happy Labor Day Weekend!!!!!!

It’s here! Labor Day Weekend is here! It’s the most wonderful time of the year! I of course am looking forward to spending the weekend with my family. As far as I know, everyone is going to make it except for two people. I will miss seeing Jane and AJ very much, but maybe they can make it next year.

Before I talk about some of my Labor Day memories, now seems like a good time to remind you about the Memory Walk that I am raising money for. We (and by we, I mean you and me) raised a lot of money last year and I expect us (and by us, I mean me and you) to do it again this year.

I have very little memories from the early Labor Day weekends back when we’d all stay in a house on the beach (or at the beach… again, very little memories). It’s understandable because I was very young back then. I’ve heard the stories from that time and I’ve seen the pictures so chances are the memories I have are from these things. I do know that it has been said how much I cried as a baby back then and how my poor mother would have to walk me up and down the street so that everyone else could sleep. I also know that apparently no one in my extended Labor Day family was told (or at least told back then) that my crying was due to ear troubles that have lead to me having multiple operations. Nope… Mom and Dad just wanted everyone to think I was a crybaby. This time is known as the BP (Before Paul) Era.

My first solid memories are of all of us staying in a lake house on Lake Marion (I think it’s Lake Marion… maybe it’s a different lake, that’s not really important). I remember we would stop at a little place on the way there and get ice cream. One time the person working there didn’t realize Dad was with us because he had gray hair and the rest of us had brown hair. The years going to the lake house were great. I can remember a lot of rain. The house wasn’t huge… but it was big enough. Sonny and I slept in the den. No Name Teri slept in a room with Janie, DG and their 3 girls. I don’t know when we started going to that house, but I’m pretty sure 1988 was our last year there. At some point during our time going to this lake house, the Paul Era began.

In ’89 we went to Ocracoke Island. That was a good year (though not great, since the Janie/DG branch of our family tree couldn’t make it). I remember the ferry ride back to the mainland was rough. The ferry was getting tossed around like it was just a little boat. I was getting sicker and sicker by the minute sitting inside, so Mom and Dad let me go out and stand by the rail. One rouge wave and little Greggie could have been washed away… another time when DSS would have had a slam dunk case… :)

The next stretch of years kind of runs together for me. I know we were at our house (and by “our house” I mean Mom and Dad’s house… it’s not my house and I know this because the bank wouldn’t let me take a mortgage out on it) for a couple of years and I want to say we were at Claire and Paul’s house once (which included a trip to Clemson for a football game).

At some point we started going to Claire and Paul’s beach house. This, I have to say, was a step up. Our years at this beach house were also the last years we all stayed in the same house (until this year). I think ’99 was our last year in this place. After that we started going to Litchfield and everyone stayed at their own place (sometimes close by… sometimes not so close). This was also the beginning of the Three Generation Era (or G3 Era), as the people who were children at the beginning of this whole thing (my generation) started bringing their children.

Now, after over a decade of being separate but close, we are going back to everyone staying in the same house. I, for one, am excited about this. I understand that it could backfire and everyone could find out that they really hate each other making this the last year we ever get together… but it could also be really fun. I’m betting it will be really fun.

Happy Labor Day Weekend Everyone!


The I’m just sayin... Football Predictions

It’s a big weekend for football with high school and college football underway. As you know, I like to pick games after doing as little research as possible. With that in mind, let’s see my picks for this weekend…

High School
James Island at Fort Dorchester – My school going against The Wife’s school… I’ve got to go with JI on this one. Come on, Trojans! Win this one for me!

Summerville at Berkeley – I told you before I’d probably pick Summerville in most of their games, so you shouldn’t be shocked that I’m going with the Team Danny Built. The Green Wave will win this one.

Ashley Ridge vs. Socastee – I know more about Ashley Ridge than I do about Socastee… and as Susie would say, I don’t know nothing ‘bout Ashley Ridge (ok, she hasn’t said that… but boy I’d love it if she did). So I'm taking the swamp foxes in this one (I think that's their nickname).

Dorman at Spartanburg – The “Cavaliers” of Dorman look to invade the Spartans of Spartanburg in what I’m sure will be a very eventful game. Folks, when these two teams get together you can throw out the record books (which is good because I don’t know what’s in said record books). My heart wants to pick Dorman, but my gut is telling me to go with Spartanburg. Since my gut is bigger than my heart, I’m taking Spartanburg to win this one.

College
USC vs. East Carolina (in Charlotte) – 7:00pm (FSN) – If this is really going to be the Year of the Revolutionary War Hero (and I think it might), then it will start with this game in Charlotte. I think it will be a high scoring game with USC coming out on top.

Clemson vs. Troy – 3:30pm (ESPN3.com) – The men of Troy are going to enter Death Valley to try to tame the Tigers of Clemson. I think this will be a close game but the Tigers will find a way to pull out the win.

Navy vs. Delaware – 3:30pm (CBS Sports Network) – I wish I could say something witty here, but I’m drawing a blank… so I’ll just give you my prediction that Navy will win this one.

CSU at UCF – 7:00pm (Bright House Sports Network) – Central Florida will win big against the Bucs from CSU.

Wyoming vs. Weber State – 7:00pm (MT) – You might be asking yourself, why is Greg picking the Wyoming game? I’m picking it because it’s the reason (or at least part of the reason) Jane and AJ can’t make it this Labor Day Weekend. After my extensive research (I looked on Jane’s Facebook page) I have decided Wyoming will win this one without any trouble.

Appalachian State at Virginia Tech – 12:30pm (ACC Network) – This is an interesting game. Va Tech has struggled in the past with their early season games (and by “in the past” I mean last season… I don’t remember past then). App State has been known to pull of the upset… but I’m not sure what they have back this season. I could see this one going either way, but since I have to make a pick I’ll go with Appalachian State winning this one.

NFL
None – Still no real football in the NFL.

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Major Charles E. Capehart (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on July 4, 1863 at Monterey Mountain, Pennsylvania. His citation reads:

While commanding the regiment, charged down the mountain side at midnight, in a heavy rain, upon the enemy's fleeing wagon train. Many wagons were captured and destroyed and many prisoners taken.

Colonel Henry Capehart (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on May 22, 1864 at Greenbrier River, West Virginia. His citation reads:

Saved, under fire, the life of a drowning soldier.

Lieutenant Vincent R. Capodanno (US Navy) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on September 4, 1967 in Quang Tin Province, Republic of Vietnam. His citation reads:

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty as Chaplain of the 3d Battalion, in connection with operations against enemy forces. In response to reports that the 2d Platoon of M Company was in danger of being overrun by a massed enemy assaulting force, Lt. Capodanno left the relative safety of the company command post and ran through an open area raked with fire, directly to the beleaguered platoon. Disregarding the intense enemy small-arms, automatic-weapons, and mortar fire, he moved about the battlefield administering last rites to the dying and giving medical aid to the wounded. When an exploding mortar round inflicted painful multiple wounds to his arms and legs, and severed a portion of his right hand, he steadfastly refused all medical aid. Instead, he directed the corpsmen to help their wounded comrades and, with calm vigor, continued to move about the battlefield as he provided encouragement by voice and example to the valiant marines. Upon encountering a wounded corpsman in the direct line of fire of an enemy machine gunner positioned approximately 15 yards away, Lt. Capodanno rushed a daring attempt to aid and assist the mortally wounded corpsman. At that instant, only inches from his goal, he was struck down by a burst of machine gun fire. By his heroic conduct on the battlefield, and his inspiring example, Lt. Capodanno upheld the finest traditions of the U.S. Naval Service. He gallantly gave his life in the cause of freedom.

No comments:

Post a Comment