Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Thursday, September 15, 2011

Football Thursday!

Don’t forget I’m raising money for the Memory Walk that will take place sometime in October (I’m not sure I know the date… but I can look it up if you want me to). Please donate. Please, please, please, please, please donate. If all you can give is $1,000… then give $1,000. If all you can give is $100… then give $100. If all you can give is $10… then give $10. If all you can give is $1… then lay off the coffee for a week so you can at least give $10. I’m just sayin… But really, every little bit helps (of course, every big bit helps more). Feel free to tell your friends and family to give, too. My goal is $1,000… but my real goal is to blow past that mark like we did last year. Right now I am ranked 5th in the area in donations, which is nice if you don’t mind losing to 4 other people. I do mind. Plus we are now getting to the point where money starts coming in, so if we stop donating now someone will soon pass me and knock me out of the Top 5. I know some of you reading this have donated in the past but have yet to donate this year. I also know some of you reading this have not donated in the past… and, well, still haven’t donated this year. Let me assure you that I know where you live and I know where you work and I’m not afraid to use this information to help me raise money for a good cause. I don’t want it to come to that… so give early and give often. You can donate here or you can click on the link that’s over on the side of the blog. Thank you. Your donation will not go unnoticed and you will be rewarded with at least one shout-out on this blog.

Due to some scheduling conflicts, we are going to look today at the results from my picks last week and also at my picks for this week. Before we do that, however, I would like to take a minute to tell you how AWESOME my friend Ashley is. First, when she found out where I banked, she immediately got a job there. As they say, “If it’s good enough for Greg to bank there, it’s good enough for me to work there”. Ok, I don’t know if they say that… but they should. Ashley is also awesome because she inspired our Sunday School class to do the unthinkable and win the talent trophy a few weeks ago in a church wide contest. Another reason (perhaps the biggest reason) Ashley is awesome is the fact that she hooking me up with her ticket for the big Navy game this weekend. As you know, the Midshipmen are traveling down to Columbia to face the Revolutionary War Heroes of South Carolina in what is sure to be the game of the weekend. She did this despite the fact that her husband would rather perform a certain “procedure” on himself than spend a Saturday with me… but I’m sure I can win him over by the end of the day. This will be a unique game in that I will have to simply cheer for good football. Deep down I will be pulling for Navy… but I’m not about to show it. Why? Because last I checked (and trust me, I checked), Ashley’s seats are not in the visitor’s section. And since I will not be with a group of Navy fans, I have no desire to risk some drunk guy taking offense to my cheering for Navy. I did ask Husband of Ashley if he would back me up if something went down. He politely told me the truth (No. Actually, he said “Hell no”). Honestly, I can’t blame him… he has to sit in those seats all season and the last thing he needs is to piss off the people who will be sitting around him. So if Navy is winning and you see me on TV and I’m not smiling, just know that I really am smiling. And if you see me on TV smiling even though Navy is getting crushed, just know that I’m thinking about the Krispy Kreme Doughnuts (HOT NOW!) I plan on eating after the game. Word on the street is it’s a tradition like no other. So thank you to Ashley for hooking me up with a ticket and thank you to Husband of Ashley for hooking me up with a ride to the game (and hopefully home as well).

Below is a video of my new favorite commercial.



Ok, I just saw this joke on the comments section after some article in the newspaper (online). It goes: Did you know that Union people built the pyramids? It was originally designed as a cube. Each shift did a little less till the last said “Just throw a rock on top and let’s go home”. HA!

Back to football… I’m sure you’ve already seen this next video but I’m going to post it anyway. It’s of the Coastal Carolina football coach and it made me proud to be a Winthrop Eagle.



The I’m just sayin... Football Predictions Results

High School
James Island vs Colleton County – I picked JI and I was RIGHT! JI won 28-10. Way to go Trojans!

Summerville vs Goose Creek – I picked Goose Creek and I was RIGHT! Summerville lost 7-19. Oh, Chuck Reedy might very well be my new hero.  ;)

Ashley Ridge vs. Stratford – I picked Stratford to win this game and I was RIGHT! Ashley Ridge lost 24-31.

Dorman at Greenwood – I picked Greenwood to win this game and I was RIGHT! Dorman lost 16-28.

College
#12 USC at Georgia – I picked USC to win and I was RIGHT! The Revolutionary War Heroes won 45-42.

Clemson vs. Wofford – I picked Clemson to win this one and I was RIGHT! The Tigers won 35-27.

Navy at Western Kentucky – I picked Navy and I was RIGHT! Navy won 40-14.

CSU at FSU – I picked FSU to win and I was RIGHT! Charleston Southern lost 10-62.

Wyoming vs. Texas State – I picked Wyoming to win this game and I was RIGHT! The Cowboys won 45-10.

Appalachian State vs. North Carolina A&T – I picked Appalachian State to win and I was RIGHT! The Mountaineers won 58-6.

NFL
Pittsburgh at Baltimore – I picked the Steelers to win this one and boy was I WRONG. The Steelers lost 7-35.

Miami vs. New England – I picked Miami to win and I was WRONG. The Dolphins choked this game away 24-38.


I’m just sayin… Football Prediction Record

High School: 13-0

College: 11-1

NFL: 0-2

Overall: 24-3


The I’m just sayin... Football Predictions

High School
James Island at Wando – I want to pick JI to win this one, but I’ll go with Wando since it’s at their place.

Summerville at Fort Dorchester – I think Summerville will win this one.

Ashley Ridge at West Ashley – I’m picking Ashley Ridge to win this one.

Dorman vs. Hanna – This could very well be the last time I pick Dorman to win a game this season. To be clear, I’m picking Dorman to win.

College
#11 USC vs. Navy – 6:00pm (ESPN2) – I honestly don’t feel good about my two main college picks this week. I really think Navy could win this game. Carolina hasn’t really impressed me… yet they’ve won enough games to be 2-0. I won’t be shocked if Navy wins… but when in doubt, I usually go with the home team. Therefore, I am picking the Revolutionary War Heroes to win this game. If Navy wins, I might need someone to come pick me up because Husband of Ashley might be mad enough to leave me in Columbia.

Clemson vs. Auburn – 12:00pm (ABC) – This is the other game I don’t have a good feel for. I don’t think either team has been impressive so far this season but both are undefeated. Like I said before, when in doubt, I usually go with the home team. So, I’m picking the (Clemson) Tigers to win this one.

CSU at Jacksonville – 1:00pm – I’m picking Jacksonville to win this game.

Wyoming at Bowling Green – 10:00am MT – I’m picking Wyoming to win this game.

Appalachian State vs. Savannah State – 6:00pm – Appalachian State will win this game.

NFL
Pittsburgh vs. Seattle – 1:00pm (FOX) – I’m giving the Steelers another chance. I’m picking Pittsburgh to win this game.

Miami vs. Houston – 4:15pm (CBS) – I don’t know why, but I’m picking Miami to win this game.


Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Sergeant William H. Carney (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on July 18, 1863 at Fort Wagner, South Carolina. His citation reads:

When the color sergeant was shot down, this soldier grasped the flag, led the way to the parapet, and planted the colors thereon. When the troops fell back he brought off the flag, under a fierce fire in which he was twice severely wounded.

Hospital Corpsman Third Class Wayne Maurice Caron (US Navy) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on July 28, 1968 in Quang Nam Province, Republic of Vietnam. His citation reads:

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty while serving as platoon corpsman with Company K, during combat operations against enemy forces. While on a sweep through an open rice field HC3c. Caron's unit started receiving enemy small arms fire. Upon seeing 2 marine casualties fall, he immediately ran forward to render first aid, but found that they were dead. At this time, the platoon was taken under intense small-arms and automatic weapons fire, sustaining additional casualties. As he moved to the aid of his wounded comrades, HC3c. Caron was hit in the arm by enemy fire. Although knocked to the ground, he regained his feet and continued to the injured marines. He rendered medical assistance to the first marine he reached, who was grievously wounded, and undoubtedly was instrumental in saving the man's life. HC3c. Caron then ran toward the second wounded marine, but was again hit by enemy fire, this time in the leg. Nonetheless, he crawled the remaining distance and provided medical aid for this severely wounded man. HC3c. Caron started to make his way to yet another injured comrade, when he was again struck by enemy small-arms fire. Courageously and with unbelievable determination, HC3c. Caron continued his attempt to reach the third marine until he was killed by an enemy rocket round. His inspiring valor, steadfast determination and selfless dedication in the face of extreme danger, sustain and enhance the finest traditions of the U.S. Naval Service.

Captain Louis H. Carpenter (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions during September – October 1868 during the Indian campaigns in Kansas and Colorado. His citation reads:

Was gallant and meritorious throughout the campaigns, especially in the combat of October 15 and in the forced march on September 23, 24 and 25 to the relief of Forsyth's Scouts, who were known to be in danger of annihilation by largely superior forces of Indians.

No comments:

Post a Comment