Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Thursday, September 1, 2011

Football and pics of the kids...

Give to the memory walk here or over there ----->

Did you know that college football once had a rule against excessive noise at games? If it got too loud, the QB could complain to the refs and they would stop the game to quite the crowd. If it happened again, they would give the home team a warning. If it happened again, they would charge the home team with a timeout. How weak is that? I saw it happen while watching the 1983 Clemson/Maryland game (a game where Maryland learned they won the ACC… while getting killed by a Clemson team that was the real ACC champs [they just weren’t eligible do to a little misunderstanding with the NCAA and their rules]). I know I was watching it on TV, but it didn’t sound like the loudest I’ve heard it in Death Valley. Even the announcers said they had heard it louder than that when UGA was in town. I have to give the NCAA credit for doing away with this rule.

There was also a rule once upon a time (’84, I think) that said if the kicker kicked the ball through the end zone (in the air) on a kickoff, then the receiving team would get the ball at the 30 (and not the 20) yard line. I’m pretty sure that rule only lasted one season… which was probably one season too long.

Susie loves Daniel. Mary Ruth loves him, too… but Susie really loves him. I have already seen her run off a little girl in his class who was getting a little too close to her Piglet. Here are a few pictures...

Piglet and his big sis Susie

Susie loves Piglet

Susie puts Piglet in a leg lock... Arn Anderson would be proud

Mary Ruth and Susie love their little brother

Here we see The Wife hold Piglet's arms while Bacon nails him with a shot to the face.  Good clean hit by Bacon, and good job by Piglet to laugh it off.



Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Seaman Tedford H. Cann (US Navy) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on November 5, 1917 on board the USS May. His citation reads:

For courageous conduct while serving on board the U.S.S. May, 5 November 1917. Cann found a leak in a flooded compartment and closed it at the peril of his life, thereby unquestionably saving the ship.

First Lieutenant George Ham Cannon (US Marine Corps) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on December 7, 1941 on Sand Island, Midway Islands. His citation reads:

For distinguished conduct in the line of his profession, extraordinary courage and disregard of his own condition during the bombardment of Sand Island, Midway Islands, by Japanese forces on 7 December 1941. 1st Lt. Cannon, Battery Commander of Battery H, 6th Defense Battalion, Fleet Marine Force, U.S. Marine Corps, was at his command post when he was mortally wounded by enemy shellfire. He refused to be evacuated from his post until after his men who had been wounded by the same shell were evacuated, and directed the reorganization of his command post until forcibly removed. As a result of his utter disregard of his own condition he died from loss of blood.

Private Charles P. Cantrell (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on July 1, 1898 at Santiago, Cuba. His citation reads:

Gallantly assisted in the rescue of the wounded from in front of the lines and under heavy fire from the enemy.

No comments:

Post a Comment