Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Thursday, September 8, 2011

Congrats... and Football

We at I’m just sayin… would like to send a big Congrats to our friends over at Our Life for correctly predicting that our friends over at Courtyard would be adding one more to their family in the near future. Oh, congrats also to Jenn and Clark.  I guess this explains why she hasn’t been posting too much on her blog these past few months… she’s been busy.  The staff at I’m just sayin… has set up an exclusive interview with the future parents of two (and future big brother, Jacob) for Friday night. I will try to give a detailed report on Monday.

I don’t want to keep harping on this uniform stuff, but my goodness the Georgia helmets were just plain ugly. And word is after seeing the Maryland uniforms, government officials up there are looking at changing their state flag. I don’t want to make it seem like I’m picking on UGA here… but I expected better from them. Maryland… eh… whatever. But Georgia… come on, you’re freakin’ GEORGIA. Like I told Sonny, seeing those helmets probably sent Vince Dooley to his grave just so he could roll over in it. This leads me to Clemson and USC. According to Wikipedia, USC has 3 different tops and 3 different pants (garnet, white, black). Their helmet is white. Their main home uniform is all garnet and their main road uniform is a white top with black pants. For my money, I’d have a black helmet (I think they’ve had this in the past). That’s the only change I’d make with their main uniform. Wikipedia says their alternate uniform is a black top with white pants. I think I’d go all-black for special games. Those all black uniforms for a big night game in Columbia is a cool thing to see (I know, because I’ve seen it). As for Clemson, a lot of people don’t like the purple. I don’t mind it… it is a school color after all. Having said that, there is never (NEVER!) a reason to wear all purple. Ever. The Tigers have changed so much since 1999 that I’m not sure what they feel are their “main” uniforms. They have orange helmets (perfect) with three different tops and three different britches (orange, white, purple) I will tell you what they should wear, though. The default home uniform should be orange tops with white britches. The default road uniform should be white tops with white britches. Orange britches should only be worn for the biggest of games each season. I would have an unofficial limit of one game each year (maybe two if they end up playing for the ACC Championship and/or National Championship). Really, I think you could do away with the purple tops. I’d go orange tops with purple britches maybe one game a season just for the heck of it. I think if USC and Clemson would stick to these guidelines, they won’t end up like our friends in Athens who made the worst uniform mistake ever.

Word on the street is that there was booing in Death Valley at halftime this past Saturday. This might come as a shock to some people, but I’m not a fan of booing. I never have been. Sure, I booed along with Sonny when Barry Bonds came up to bat against the Braves back in the day… but that was all in good fun… and it was Barry Bonds who was a grown man making enough money to get booed. Look, I’m not saying people aren’t allowed to boo. They are. I get it… you pay all this money and take time out of your day to go to a game and your team isn’t playing as well as you think they should so you boo. You paid the money, so you have the right to boo. Having the right don’t make it right. This is just how I look at it. I don’t think the people who boo are bad people… I just don’t agree with what they do. The only time I think you should boo at a game is when you are booing the ref/official/umpire. I don’t even boo them that much… but I will from time to time (and that’s probably the nicest thing they’ll hear from a fan during a game). There was a game (last season I think) when the refs made an awful call against Clemson and Dabo just went off on them (got mad enough to throw his gum down). I wasn’t at the game, but on the TV you could hear booing so loud that it almost drowned out the announcers. The Clemson defense made a great play on the next play causing the crowd to cheer real loud… only to go back to booing the refs right after the play. That was great.

The Wife took Mary Ruth to choir practice last night. Susie did not like being left behind. She cried… a lot. It wasn’t a little forced cry… it was a losing your mind screaming cry. She was in full blown crazy mode when… in the middle of all of the crying… Piglet started crying, causing Susie to stop crying and in a very clear voice say, “Daddy, Daniel crying!” She then went back to full blown crazy crying mode. I probably shouldn’t have, but I couldn’t help but laugh out loud at her.

Wish me luck Saturday. I will be playing golf with my brother-in-law Michael and I’m just sayin… friends Danny and Jeremy. We are playing in the Christian Golfers Association tournament on Seabrook Island. Our goal, as always, is to not come in last place. The bad news is we will not be playing captain’s choice. I don’t know what other teams in this tournament have… but I know what we have. If I were a betting man, I’d bet we’ll come in last. The good news is I’m sure we’ll have fun no matter where we end up.

I forgot to post this in my last post… My favorite football moment from the first weekend of college football came during the Baylor/TCU game. When announcing a false-start penalty on TCU, the ref said “False start, everyone but the Center”. Hmmm… everyone but the Center… guess which guy on offense forgot the snap count?


The I’m just sayin... Football Predictions

High School
James Island vs Colleton County – I’m going with JI on this one.

Summerville vs Goose Creek – I’m not sure about this one. I usually go with Summerville, but for some reason I like Goose Creek in this game. I pick Goose Creek to win this one on the road.

Ashley Ridge vs. Stratford – I pick Stratford to win this game.

Dorman at Greenwood – I think Dorman will be worn out after having to travel to the middle of nowhere (Greenwood). I’m going to pick Greenwood to win this game.

Correction!
Dorman at Spartanburg – I picked Spartanburg to win this one. I was wrong. I had no idea how much Farmers Day would get the Dorman team pumped up for this game. Good job by Dorman to get their first win of the season. My information on the outcome of the Dorman/Spartanburg game was wrong… it seems the game was just suspended with Dorman leading. Spartanburg ended up with the win which means I was right!

College
USC at Georgia – 4:30pm (ESPN) – I’m picking the Revolutionary War Heroes to win this one. Word on the street is the NCAA plans to give UGA the death penalty if they wear those helmets from last Saturday again.

Clemson vs. Wofford – 3:30pm (ESPN3) – I’m picking Clemson to win this one.

Navy at Western Kentucky – 7:00pm (ESPN3) – Navy will win this one.

CSU at FSU – 6:00pm (ESPN3) – Yes, it’s that FSU… and I’m picking that FSU to win.

Wyoming vs. Texas State – 4:00pm MT (The Mtn. HD) – I’m picking Wyoming to win this game.

Appalachian State vs. North Carolina A&T – 3:30pm – Appalachian State will rebound from their loss last Saturday to win this game.

NFL
Pittsburgh at Baltimore – 1:00pm (CBS) – This should be a great game. I’m picking the Steelers to win this one.

Miami vs. New England – 7:00pm (ESPN) – This could be Miami’s year. I doubt it… but it could be. Without doing any research on this game, I’m going to pick the Dolphins to win it in honor of Jeremy and Sonny.


I’m just sayin… Football Prediction Record

High School: 9-0

College: 5-1

NFL: 0-0

Overall: 14-1


Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Sergeant Hugh Carey (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on July 2, 1863 at Gettysburg, Pennsylvania. His citation reads:

Captured the flag of the 7th Virginia Infantry (C.S.A.), being twice wounded in the effort.

Sergeant James L. Carey (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on April 9, 1865 at Appomattox Courthouse, Virginia. His citation reads:

Daring bravery and urging the men forward in a charge.

Seaman James Carey (US Navy) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on board the USS Huron sometime between 1866 - 1870. His citation reads:

Seaman on board the U.S.S. Huron, saving 3 shipmates from drowning.

No comments:

Post a Comment