Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Monday, August 29, 2011

A new blog you should see...

Don’t forget to donate to the Memory Walk. If you don’t want to donate using a credit card, you can click on a link to a donation form that you can print out and mail in with a check. If you can’t find the form, call me and I will email the form to you.

Labor Day Weekend is almost here!! Yes, I have already packed.

I’m just sayin… would like to point you to a new blog on the inter-web that is written by my cousin and good friend, Louis. As you know, we at I’m just sayin… have always said we will talk about any and everything here except chicken. Chicken is one subject that we decided a long time ago to leave to the experts and finally the expertiest of all the experts on the chicken topic has decided to step up to the plate (or should I say platter?) and write a blog about chicken.

There is a good chance I will be the opening act at a wedding next summer. I can’t go into details right now because my people are still negotiating with people close to The Bride. I also had some pretty good ideas for the wedding in general, but we won’t go into that right now either (though I will say a live tiger was involved). There is still a good bit of time between now and next summer, so I’m not too worried about getting all the little things in this negotiation worked out in time for me to work my first wedding.

The high school football season has started. I didn’t go to many games when I was in high school because most of my friends were playing. And I have something The Wife has diagnosed as social anxiety. I think another reason is that I didn’t want to have all of the cheerleaders get in trouble for running up into the stands to sit with me. Laugh if you want, but many a cheerleader could be found back in those days hanging out with me all over James Island. Was it my looks? Or perhaps by athletic ability? Or my personality? I can’t say for sure… It probably had something to do with the fact that they were dating my friends and we were all hanging out together, but if I had to guess I’d say it was a mixture of looks, athletic ability and personality.

The I’m just sayin... Football Predictions Results

With all of the hurricane talk last week, most/all of the high school football games got moved to Thursday night… so I didn’t get to make my predictions. So below I will tell you who I would have picked (I still haven’t seen the scores yet) and then we will look at who won.

High School
James Island vs. St. John’s – I would take James Island in this game. I can’t say for sure I’ll pick JI as much as I would like this year… but maybe I will. I can never figure them out. Result: James Island won 37-12 giving new Head Coach (and a former teacher of mine) Randy Hilyer a win in his debut. Congrats to Coach Hilyer.

Summerville at Conway – I would take Summerville in this one. Chances are good that I will pick Summerville in almost all of their games this season (unless something bad happens to them). Result: The Green Wave won this one 34-19.

Ashley Ridge vs. Cane Bay – I think Ashley Ridge had a pretty good season last year. Because of this, I’d pick them to win this game. Of course, I could be wrong about last season… so if I got this one right it’d be pure luck. Result: Ashley Ridge won 49-7

Fort Dorchester at Woodland – I’d pick Fort Dorchester in this for the simple reason that The Wife went there and I can’t say for sure I’ll be picking them much this season. Result: The Patriots won 35-24.

Dorman vs. Gaffney – This is a hard one. Dorman had some good players graduate this past year. I’m not sure if they have a good recruiting network like Summerville to stay at the top year in and year out. I would want to pick the “Cavaliers” (if my sources are to be believed… though I still think that’s a silly name for a high school), but Gaffney is usually pretty good (unless I’m mixing them up with someone else). I’d go with Gaffney in this one. Result: Dorman lost 14-35.

College
None

NFL
None – I don’t count pre-season games.

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Boatswain’s Mate William Campbell (US Navy) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on December 24-25, 1864 and January 13-15, 1865 on board the USS Ticonderoga. His citation reads:

On board the U.S.S. Ticonderoga during attacks on Fort Fisher, 24 and 25 December 1864; and 13 to 15 January 1865. Despite heavy return fire by the enemy and the explosion of the 100-pounder Parrott rifle which killed 8 men and wounded 12 more, Campbell, as captain of a gun, performed his duties with skill and courage during the first 2 days of battle. As his ship again took position on the line of the 13th, he remained steadfast as the Ticonderoga maintained a well-placed fire upon the batteries on shore, and thereafter, as she materially lessened the power of guns on the mound which had been turned upon our assaulting columns. During this action the flag was planted on one of the strongest fortifications possessed by the rebels.

Private William Campbell (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on May 22, 1863 at Vicksburg, Mississippi. His citation reads:

Gallantry in the charge of the "volunteer storming party."

Private Heth Canfield (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on May 15, 1870 at Little Blue, Nebraska. His citation reads:

Gallantry in action.

No comments:

Post a Comment