Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Thursday, May 26, 2011

Songs 206 - 172

Got a call from the doctor's office a day or two ago.  They wanted to let me know that I had strep throat last week.  The meds they gave me (and that I have been taking) were good for that... so really the only reason they were calling was to let me know that they figured out what was wrong.  I guess it's good to know that even after I stop caring, they keep looking for answers.

Don’t forget, Darius Rucker will honor Pattison's Academy should he win CMT Performance of the year! This is a FAN supported contest. Click here to vote for Darius and you'll be voting for Pattison's!!

We will now continue our countdown of the I’m just sayin… Top 1,081 Songs of All Time


206 - “Straight To Hell” by Drivin' N’ Cryin'

I loved listening to this song in high school.

205 - “Don't Think I Don't Think About It” by Darius Rucker

Darius’ first hit single in Country music (I think).

204 - “Stealing Cinderella” by Chuck Wicks

“She was playing Cinderella/ She was riding her first bike/ Bouncing on the bed and looking for a pillow fight/ Running through the sprinkler with a big popsicle grin/ Dancing with her dad, looking up at him/ In her eyes I’m Prince Charming/ But to him I’m just some fella/ riding in and stealing Cinderella”

Another song I have trouble listening to without tearing up because of Mary Ruth and Susie.

203 - “You're the Inspiration” by Chicago

202 - “Hearts Breaking Even” by Bon Jovi

“It's been a cold, cold, cold, cold night tonight/ And I can't get you off my mind/ God knows I've tried/ Did I throw away the best part of my life/ When I cut you off, did I cut myself with the same damn knife/ Hide my tears in the pouring rain, had my share of hurt and pain/ Don't say my name, run away, cause it's all in vain/ My heart's breaking even, now there's no use we even try/ Hey I cried, Yeah I lied, Hell I almost died/ Both got our reasons, let's just fold the cards and say good-bye/ It's all right, just two hearts breaking even tonight”

A great break-up song if you ask me.

201 - “Whiskey Lullaby” by Brad Paisley with Alison Krauss

200 - “You've Got to Stand for Something” by Charley Pride

Let’s be honest, you don’t make it as a black man in Country music in the 1970s if you’re just ok. You’ve got to be pretty dang good… and Charley Pride’s better than that.

199 - “Turn the Page” by Metallica

A cover of a great Bob Seger song.

198 - “Bad” by Michael Jackson

197 - “Life in the Fast Lane” by The Eagles

196 - “Free Fallin'” by Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers

195 - “Top of the World” by Van Halen

194 - “As Good As I Once Was” by Toby Keith

Another song written about me.

193 - “Baba O'Riley” by The Who

192 - “Knee Deep” by Zac Brown Band with Jimmy Buffett

191 - “Getting Better” by The Beatles

190 - “Stay With Me” by Rod Stewart

189 - “Wonderful World” by Sam Cooke

I think I told you this before… but incase you missed it, I could listen to Sam Cooke songs all day long.

188 - “Life Loves a Tragedy” by Poison

I don’t think this is one of their more well known songs, but I love it.

187 - “Man in the Mirror” by Michael Jackson

186 - “One Sweet Day” by Mariah Carey with Boyz II Men

185 - “Brick House” by Commodores

Ah… a little bit of Funk on the list.

184 - “Don't You Wanna Stay” by Jason Aldean with Kelly Clarkson

A great duet by two young artists.

183 - “Black Dog” by Led Zeppelin

182 - “Playing With the Boys” by Kenny Loggins

This was on my baseball pre-game playlist growing up.

181 - “Hey Joe” by Jimi Hendrix

180 - “Proud Mary” by Ike and Tina

A cover of the great Creedence Clearwater Revival song.

179 - “The Heart of Rock and Roll” by Huey Lewis and The News

178 - “All My Rowdy Friends (Have Settled Down)” by Hank Williams, Jr.

“And I think I know what my father meant when he sang about a lost highway/ And old George Jones I'm glad to see he's finally getting straight,/ And Waylon staying home and loving Jesse more these days,/ And nobody wants to get drunk and get loud/ And all my rowdy friends have settled down./ And the hangovers hurt more than they used to/ And corn bread and ice tea took the place of pills and ninety-proof,/ And it seems like none of us do things quite like we used to do/ And nobody wants to get high on the town/ And all my rowdy friends have settled down.”

Ah, the end of my college days.

177 - “Got My Mind Set on You” by George Harrison

There was a time when I was but a young lad that this was my favorite song… back when I was so young that I didn’t realize George Harrison was an ex-Beatle.

176 - “Thunder Rolls” by Garth Brooks

175 - “Candle in the Wind” by Elton John

I LOVE this song… but I hate when he changes the name for a funeral. I get it… Princess Di was a big deal… but this wasn’t her song. This was about Marilyn Monroe and it will always be about Marilyn Monroe.

174 - “Gods of War” by Def Leppard

“Feelin' like it's all over, feelin' like there's no love/ Feelin' like it's not easy, breathin' life in the dust/ On a countdown to zero take a ride on the nightmare machine/ There ain't gonna be heroes/ There ain't gonna be anything/ Oh/ Here it comes, here comes the night/ Here it comes, hell in the night/ Here it comes, here comes the night”

What a GREAT song! Here’s a funny thing… I never really realized that this is an anti-war song until I looked at the lyrics. It really is… up until the very end of the song when they include audio clips of Ronald Reagan and Margaret Thatcher. The clips from Reagan have been talked about on here before. They are great. They are so great that they make you forget that the song you just listened to is an anti-war song. In fact, they are so great that you actually think this is the kind of song you would want to listen to before you go into a fight.

173 - “Southern State Of Mind” by Darius Rucker

“I was up in New York City,/ just the other week./ You shoulda seen the waiters face when I ordered sweet tea./ She said ‘we don't have that here’/ and I apologized, I said ‘Please forgive me,/ I'm in a southern state of mind.’/ And those girls out in California,/ they don't understand./ They don't like it when I hold the door,/ when I say yes ma'am./ They act like I've done something wrong,/ and they give me the evil eye./ I say ‘honey, I'm sorry,/ I'm in a southern state of mind.’”

I wish I had written this song.

172 - “Down on the Corner” by Creedence Clearwater Revival



Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Corporal F. Clarence Buck (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on September 29, 1864 at Chapins Farm, Virginia. His citation reads:

Although wounded, refused to leave the field until the fight closed.

Quartermaster James Buck (US Navy) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on April 24-25, 1862 while on board the USS Brooklyn. His citation reads:

Served on board the U.S.S. Brooklyn in the attack upon Forts Jackson and St. Philip and at the taking of New Orleans, 24 and 25 April 1862. Although severely wounded by a heavy splinter, Buck continued to perform his duty until positively ordered below. Later stealing back to his post, he steered the ship for 8 hours despite his critical condition. His bravery was typical of the type which resulted in the taking of the Forts Jackson and St. Philip and in the capture of New Orleans.

First Lieutenant David E. Buckingham (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on February 5, 1865 at Rowanty Creek, Virginia. His citation reads:

Swam the partly frozen creek, under fire, in the attempt to capture a crossing.

No comments:

Post a Comment