Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Friday, May 27, 2011

Songs 171 - 137

I have no idea who Herman Cain is, but I heard him for about 5 or 10 minutes on the radio the other day and I found myself not turning the radio off. It would seem he is running for President in 2012. To be honest with you, I didn’t hate what I was hearing him say. But I know nothing about him. Anyone out there know who I’m talking about? Email or call me to tell me what you know/think about him. I’m intrigued.

Speaking of politics… I find myself liking SC State Senator Robert Ford more and more. That’s probably because it seems like every time he speaks, he makes Dot Scott mad. And he at least seems to be willing to listen to how others feel about their heritage. I don’t think I’m finding myself liking him enough that I would vote for him… but I wouldn’t vote for someone else just because they aren’t him. If that makes sense.

Staying on the politics theme... Governor Haley took some time out of her busy schedule to skype with a class at Round Top Elementary.  I tell you this because I would like to share with you how disappointed I am that the teacher of this class did not introduce herself as No Name Teri.  Also, at no point during any of this did she say anything about this blog.  I don't want to give her too hard of a time, but I can guarandamntee you that if put in the same situation, my brother would have started the whole thing with, "Governor, this is Sonny and I was reading the other day on I'm just sayin... which, I'm sure you know, can be found at http://www.greghorres.blogspot.com/ that [fill in the blank with something I've said on here].  What are your thoughts on this?"  Oh well, at least No Name Teri didn't cuss... so she's got that going for her... which is nice.



Don’t forget, Darius Rucker will honor Pattison's Academy should he win CMT Performance of the year! This is a FAN supported contest. Click here to vote for Darius and you'll be voting for Pattison's!!

We will now continue our countdown of the I’m just sayin… Top 1,081 Songs of All Time


171 - “Ants Marching” by Dave Matthews Band

170 - “Baby, It's Cold Outside” by Dean Martin

169 - “Summer of '69” by Bryan Adams

168 - “Take Me Home Tonight” by Eddie Money with Ronnie Spector

“I can feel you breathe/ I can feel your heartbeat faster./ Take me home tonight!/ I don't want to let you go till you see the light!/ Take me home tonight!/ Listen honey/ just like Ronnie sang: Be my little baby!”

167 - “Burning Love” by Elvis Presley

“Lord have mercy,/ I'm burning a hole where I lay/ Cause your kisses lift me higher/ Like the sweet song of a choir/ You light my morning sky/ With burning love/ With burning love/ Ah, ah, burning love/ I'm just a hunk, a hunk of burning love/ Just a hunk, a hunk of burning love/ Just a hunk, a hunk of burning love/ Just a hunk, a hunk of burning love”

Yet again… a song about me.

166 - “Wonderful Tonight” by Eric Clapton

165 - “I Loved Her First” by Heartland

“How could that beautiful women with you/ Be the same freckle face kid that I knew/ The one that I read all those fairy tales to/ And tucked into bed all those nights/ And I knew the first time I saw you with her/ It was only a matter of time/ But I loved her first and I held her first/ And a place in my heart will always be hers/ From the first breath she breathed/ When she first smiled at me/ I knew the love of a father runs deep/ And I prayed that she'd find you someday/ But its still hard to give her away/ I loved her first”

Another Mary Ruth and Susie song. What can I say, I’m just an ol’ sap.

164 - “Kashmir” by Led Zeppelin

163 - “You Can't Always Get What You Want” by The Rolling Stones

162 - “Take It Easy” by The Eagles

161 - “Getting Better” by Tesla

160 - “Misty Mountain Hop” by Led Zeppelin

159 - “Someday I'll Be Saturday Night” by Bon Jovi

“Now I can't say my name or tell you where I am/ I want to blow myself away, don't know if I can/ I wish that I could be in some other time and place/ With someone else's soul, someone else's face/ Oh, Tuesday just might go my way/ It can't get worse than yesterday/ Thursdays, Fridays ain't been kind/ But somehow I'll survive/ Hey, man I'm alive/ I'm taking each day and night at a time/ Yeah I'm down, but I know I'll get back/ Hey, hey, hey, hey, man I gotta live my life/ I'm gonna pick up all the pieces and what's left of my pride/ I'm feeling like a Monday but someday I'll be Saturday night”

158 - “Bigger Fish to Fry” by Brad Paisley with Bill Anderson, Little Jimmy Dickens, and Vince Gill

“I said a bad word when I was a kid./ Mamma said that I'd be sorry for the sin that I did./ My daddy whooped me and the/ preacher said shame./ And I tried like hell to change./ But I cuss,/ And I smoke,/ I laugh at dirty jokes./ The minor vices, man I know 'em well./ I've closed down bars./ I've lusted in my heart./ My exes think I oughta burn in hell./ But the devil, he won't notice when I die./ Yeah, don't you figure he's got bigger fish to fry?”

157 - “Born To Run” by Bruce Springsteen

156 - “Fortunate Son” by Creedence Clearwater Revival

155 - “Sam's Song” by Dean Martin and Sammy Davis, Jr.

Listening to these to sing together is so great. You can just hear how much fun they are having.

154 - “Walk of Life” by Dire Straits

153 - “Drift Away” by Dobie Gray

152 - “Tears in Heaven” by Eric Clapton

Written following the death of Clapton’s four-year-old son Conor.

151 - “Midnight Train to Georgia” by Gladys Knight and The Pips

Jeremy and Rebecca and some other people from our Sunday School class did a rousing cover of this song for a talent show. I’ll take Gladys Knight and the Pips.

150 - “Let Her Cry” by Hootie and the Blowfish

I think this was a great Country song and they didn’t even know it.

149 - “ABC” by Jackson 5

148 - “East Bound and Down” by Jerry Reed

If you need to drive somewhere fast, this is the song you want playing.

147 - “The Weather Is Here, Wish You Were Beautiful” by Jimmy Buffett

“Well he's on his third drink before the wheels of the plane leave the ground/ Makin' points with the stewardess high over Long Island Sound/ She's also spending some time on the island/ Too much city madness gives her the blues/ They make a date to go dancin' and dinin'/ It seems neither has that much to lose/ The weather is here I wish you were beautiful/ My thoughts aren't too clear but don't run away/ My girlfriend's a bore, my job is too dutiful/ Hell nobody's perfect would you like to play?/ I feel together today”

146 - “Whole Lotta Love” by Led Zeppelin

145 - “Rock and Roll All Nite” by Kiss

144 - “God Bless The USA” by Lee Greenwood

“If tomorrow all the things were gone/ I'd worked for all my life,/ And I had to start again/ with just my children and my wife,/ I'd thank my lucky stars/ to be living here today,/ 'Cause the flag still stands for freedom/ and they can't take that away./ And I'm proud to be an American/ where at least I know I'm free,/ And I won't forget the men who died/ who gave that right to me,/ And I gladly stand up next to you/ and defend her still today,/ 'Cause there ain't no doubt I love this land/ God Bless the U.S.A.”

Most patriotic song ever? I think so. You will note that nowhere in the song does it mention the government taking care of everyone. It just talks about being free to take care of yourself.

143 - “The Ballad of Curtis Loew” by Lynyrd Skynyrd

142 - “Papa Don't Preach” by Madonna

141 - “The Boys Are Back in Town” by Thin Lizzy

140 - “Birth of the Blues” by The Rat Pack

139 - “Dance With Me” by The Drifters

138 - “Casey Jones” by The Grateful Dead

I think I heard this song on the radio every day for the first semester of my senior year in high school.

137 - “My Generation” by The Who


Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Sergeant Abram J. Buckles (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on May 5, 1864 at Wilderness, Virginia. His citation reads:

Though suffering from an open wound, carried the regimental colors until again wounded.

Private Denis Buckley (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on July 20, 1864 at Peach Tree Creek, Georgia. His citation reads:

Capture of flag of 31st Mississippi (C.S.A.).

Private Howard Major Buckley (US Marine Corps) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on March 25, 27 and 29 and April 4, 1899. His citation reads:

For distinguished conduct in the presence of the Enemy in battle while with the Eighth Army Corps on 25, 27, 29 March, and 4 April 1899.

No comments:

Post a Comment