Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Saturday, May 21, 2011

It’s the end of the world as we know it…

…Or is it? Either way, I feel fine. Word on the street was the world was going to end today. Personally, I don’t buy into firm dates for the end of the world or anything like that. I figure it will happen when God wants it to happen. If he wants to give me a firm date ahead of time, I assume he’ll just tweet it or post it on his Facebook page or, perhaps, tell me over my Heavenly Digital Two Way Radio (sold exclusively at Carter Electronics), the only radio we at I’m just sayin… use when talking with God. (***Note to self: Contact KC about a great new marketing idea. Note to Note to self: Review notes from college Business Ethics classes… something doesn’t feel right about my great new idea, but I can’t put my finger on what it is). Anyway, I think all of this talk about the world ending today (or in October of this year) is all just rumors that started as No Name Teri’s wishful thinking that the world would end before she turns the big 4-0 on May 22, 2012.

Don’t forget, Darius Rucker will honor Pattison's Academy should he win CMT Performance of the year! This is a FAN supported contest. Click here to vote for Darius and you'll be voting for Pattison's!!

We will now continue our countdown of the I’m just sayin… Top 1,081 Songs of All Time


381 - “Who Says You Can't Go Home” by Bon Jovi with Jennifer Nettles

“I spent 20 years trying to get out of this place/ I was looking for something I couldn't replace/ I was running away from the only thing I've ever known/ Like a blind dog without a bone/ I was a gypsy lost in the twilight zone/ I hijacked a rainbow and crashed into a pot of gold/ I been there, done that and I ain't lookin' back on the seeds I've sown,/ Saving dimes, spending too much time on the telephone/ Who says you can't go home”

Here we have a song that has already been on the list making it again. This is the Country version of the song featuring Jennifer Nettles. Honestly, I don’t think it sound that much different than the Rock version… but I think the song is way better as a duet.

380 - “Welcome To the Future” by Brad Paisley

“When I was ten years old/ I remember thinking how cool it would be/ When we were going on an eight-hour drive/ If I could just watch TV/ And I'd have given anything/ To have my own Pac-Man game at home/ I used to have to get a ride down to the arcade/ Now I've got it on my phone”

A great song about how far we’ve come as a society in my lifetime. A lot of people think it’s about his life, but I’m pretty sure it’s about mine. Calls from my people to his people to confirm this have not been returned.

379 - “Look Away” by Chicago

“But if you see me walking by,/ And the tears are in my eyes,/ Look away, baby, look away./ If we meet on the streets someday,/ And I don't know what to say,/ Look away, baby, look away./ Don't look at me;/ I don't want you to see me this way.”

378 - “Photograph” by Def Leppard

“Photograph - I don't want your/ Photograph - I don't need your/ Photograph - All I've got is a photograph/ But it's not enough”

377 - “Silver Springs” by Fleetwood Mac

“You could be my silver springs/ Blue green colors flashin'/ I would be your only dream/ Your shining autumn, ocean crashing/ And did you say she was pretty/ And did you say that she loves you/ Baby, I don't wanna know”

376 - “Learn To Fly” by Foo Fighters

“Run and tell all of the angels, this could take all night/ Think I need a devil to help me get things right/ Hook me up a new revolution ‘cause this one is a lie/ We sat around laughin’ and watched the last one die”

A great song from the group started by my favorite member of Nirvana.

375 - “Sherry” by Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons

“She - e - e-e-e-e-ry baby/ She - e - rry, can you come out tonight/ She - e - e-e-e-e-ry baby/ She - e - rry, can you come out tonight”

374 - “Longneck Bottle” by Garth Brooks with Steve Wariner

“Long neck bottle, let go of my hand/ Hey jukebox don't start playing that song again/ 'Cause there's a girl at home who loves me,/ You know she won't understand/ Long neck bottle, let go of my hand”

373 - “November Rain” by Guns N' Roses

“When I look into your eyes/ I can see a love restrained/ But darlin' when I hold you/ Don't you know I feel the same/ 'Cause nothin' lasts forever/ And we both know hearts can change/ And it's hard to hold a candle/ In the cold November rain”

I learned while reading my book about GNR that this song was inspired by Elton John. The video was also extremely expensive… but ended up being the most played video on MTV (back when they played music videos).

372 - “Never Been Any Reason” by Head East

“Save my life, I'm going down for the last time./ Woman with the sweet lov'in, better than a white line./ Bring a good feeling ain't had in such a long time./ Save my life, I'm going down for the last time.”

371 - “My Kinda Party” by Jason Aldean

“Oh baby you can find me./ In the back of a jacked up tailgate./ Sittin’ ‘round watchin’ all these pretty things./ Get down in that Georgia clay./ And I’ll find peace./ At the bottom of a real tall cold drink./ I'm chillin' to some Skynyrd and some old Hank./ Let’s get this thing started./ It’s my kinda party.”

My kind of song.

370 - “Purple Haze” by Jimi Hendrix

“Purple Haze all around,/ don't know if I'm coming up or down./ Am I happy or in misery?/ Whatever it is, that girl put a spell on me.”

369 - “Everybody Wants To Go To Heaven” by Kenny Chesney

“Said, Preacher, maybe you didn't see me throw an extra twenty in the plate./ There's one for everything I did last night,/ and one to get me through today./ Here's a ten to help you remember, next time you got the good Lord's ear./ Say-/ I'm comin' but there ain't no hurry/ I'm havin' fun down here. ”

368 - “Good Times Bad Times” by Led Zeppelin

“Good Times, bad times, you know I've had my share/ Well, my woman left home for a brown-eyed man/ but I still don't seem to care”

367 - “Lonesome Loser” by Little River Band

“Have you heard about the Lonesome Loser?/ Beaten by the Queen of Hearts every time./ Have you heard about the Lonesome Loser?/ He's a loser but he still keeps on trying.”

Hey look! A song about Sonny in high school! Haha…

366 - “You Got That Right” by Lynyrd Skynyrd

“Well I've heard lots of people say/ They're gonna settle down/ You don't see their faces/ And they don't come around/ Well I'm not that way/ I got to move along/ I like to drink and to dance all night/ Comes to a fix not afraid to fight/ You got that right/ Said, you got that right/ Sure got that right”

I like the back and forth vocals at the beginning of this song with Ronnie Van Zant and Steve Gaines as well as the great guitar work.

365 - “Push” by Matchbox Twenty

“She said I don't know if I've ever been good enough/ I'm a little bit rusty, and I think my head is caving in/ And I don't know if I've ever been really loved/ By a hand that's touched me, well I feel like something's/ Gonna give/ And I'm a little bit angry, well/ This ain't over, no not here, not while I still need you/ Around/ You don't owe me, we might change/ Yeah we just might feel good”

364 - “Home Sweet Home” by Motley Crue

“I'm on my way/ I'm on my way/ Home sweet home/ Tonight, tonight/ I'm on my way/ I'm on my way/ Home sweet home”

363 - “Paranoid” by Ozzy Osbourne

“And so as you hear these words/ telling you now of my state/ I tell you to enjoy life/ I wish I could but it's too late”

362 - “Yesterday” by Paul McCartney

“Yesterday/ All my troubles seemed so far away/ Now it looks as though they’re here to stay/ Oh, I believe in yesterday”

361 - “Even Flow” by Pearl Jam

“Even flow, thoughts arrive like butterflies/ Oh, he don't know, so he chases them away/ Someday yet, he'll begin his life again/ Life again, life again...”

I can’t hear this song without thinking about Adam Sandler as Opera Man on SNL singing this song. Classic.

360 - “Brain Damage” by Pink Floyd

“And if the dam breaks open many years too soon/ And if there is no room upon the hill/ And if your head explodes with dark forebodings too/ I'll see you on the dark side of the moon.”

359 - “Fallen Angel” by Poison

“Win big--Mama's fallen angel/ Lose big--livin' out of lies/ Wants it all--Mama's fallen angel/ Lose it all, rollin' the dice of her life”

358 - “Man on the Moon” by R.E.M.

“Hey, Andy did you hear about this one?/ Tell me, are you locked in the punch?/ Hey Andy are you goofing on Elvis?/ Hey, baby. Are we losing touch?/ If you believed they put a man on the moon, man on the moon./ If you believe there's nothing up my sleeve, then nothing is cool.”

357 - “Georgia on My Mind” by Ray Charles

“Oh Georgia, Georgia/ No peace, no peace I find/ Just an old sweet song/ Keeps Georgia on my mind”

356 - “Should've Said No” by Taylor Swift

“You should've said no,/ You should've gone home,/ You should have thought twice before you let it all go./ You should've known that word about what you did with her would get back to me./ And I should've been there, in the back of your mind,/ Shouldn't be asking myself why,/ You shouldn't be begging for forgiveness at my feet,/ You should've said no,/ Baby and you might still have me.”

355 - “Edison's Medicine” by Tesla

“You took a shot and it did you in./ Edison's medicine./ You played your cards, but you couldn't win./ Edison's medicine.”

354 - “Fun, Fun, Fun” by The Beach Boys

“Well she got her daddy's car/ And she cruised through the hamburger stand now/ Seems she forgot all about the library/ Like she told her old man now/ And with the radio blasting/ Goes cruising just as fast as she can now/ And she'll have fun, fun, fun/ 'Til her daddy takes the T-Bird away/ (Fun, fun, fun 'til her daddy takes the T-Bird away)”

353 - “Chantilly Lace” by The Big Bopper

“Chantilly lace and a pretty face/ And a pony tail a hangin down/ That wiggle in the walk/ And giggle in the talk/ Makes the world go round/ There ain't nothin in the world/ Like a big eyed girl/ That makes me act so funny/ Make me spend my money/ Make me feel real loose like a long necked goose/ Like a girl, oh baby that's what I like”

352 - “Tequila Sunrise” by The Eagles

“Take another shot of courage/ Wonder why the right words never come/ You just get numb/ It's another tequila sunrise, this old world/ still looks the same,/ Another frame”

351 - “Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds” by The Beatles

“Lucy in the sky with diamonds,/ Lucy in the sky with diamonds,/ Lucy in the sky with diamonds,”

350 - “Used to Love Her” by Guns N' Roses

“I used to love her, but I had to kill her/ I used to love her, but I had to kill her/ I had to put her/ Six feet under/ And I can still hear her complain”

This is such a great song. It’s so funny if you just take it for what it is… a song. Talk about a great song to listen to after a break-up.

349 - “If I'd Been the One” by .38 Special

“Can you read my mind/ Take a good look at my face/ Could you take the time/ Just to stand here in my place/ What if I'd been the one to say goodbye, goodbye/ Could you smile when inside you just wanna cry, look inside/ Can you read my mind? Oh oh”

348 - “Bed of Roses” by Bon Jovi

“Sitting here wasted and wounded/ at this old piano/ Trying hard to capture/ the moment this morning I don't know/ 'Cause a bottle of vodka/ is still lodged in my head/ And some blond gave me nightmares/ I think she's still in my bed/ As I dream about movies/ they won't make of me when I'm dead”

I love the piano in this song. And the lyrics are just GREAT. I listened to this many a morning in college. ;)

347 - “My Prerogative” by Bobby Brown

“They say I'm crazy/ I really don't care/ That's my prerogative/ They say I'm nasty/ But I don't give a damn/ Gettin' girls is how I live”


Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Private Wilson W. Brown (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on April 1862 in Georgia. His citation reads:

One of the 19 of 22 men (including 2 civilians) who, by direction of Gen. Mitchell (or Buell), penetrated nearly 200 miles south into enemy territory and captured a railroad train at Big Shanty, Ga., in an attempt to destroy the bridges and tract between Chattanooga and Atlanta.

Private Francis E. Brownell (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on May 24, 1861 at Alexandria, Virginia. His citation reads:

Killed the murderer of Colonel Ellsworth at the Marshall House Alexandria, Va. First Civil War deed to merit Medal of Honor.

Coxswain William P. Brownell (US Navy) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on May 2, 1863 and May 22, 1863 on board the USS Benton. His citation reads:

Served as coxswain on board the U.S.S. Benton during the attack on Great Gulf Bay, 2 May 1863, and Vicksburg, 22 May 1863. Carrying out his duties with coolness and courage, Brownell served gallantly against the enemy as captain of a 9-inch gun in the attacks on Great Gulf and Vicksburg and as a member of the Battery Benton before Vicksburg.

No comments:

Post a Comment