Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Monday, May 30, 2011

Happy Memorial Day!!

I am waiting for the article in the Post and Courier letting us know how much money this holiday is costing the state.

Don’t forget, Darius Rucker will honor Pattison's Academy should he win CMT Performance of the year! This is a FAN supported contest. Click here to vote for Darius and you'll be voting for Pattison's!!

We will now continue our countdown of the I’m just sayin… Top 1,081 Songs of All Time


66 - “Fine Line” by Hootie and the Blowfish

A cover of a Radney Foster song. I thought it was great the first time I heard it.

65 - “Jamming” by Bob Marley

64 - “Old Time Rock and Roll” by Bob Seger

“Just take those old records off the shelf/ I'll sit and listen to 'em by myself/ Today's music ain 't got the same soul/ I like that old time rock 'n' roll”

63 - “Forever Young” by Bob Dylan

Fast or slow… I love this song.

62 - “Piano Man” by Billy Joel

Best piano song ever.

61 - “Highway to Hell” by AC/DC

I wanted to walk down the aisle to this song at my wedding. The Wife wouldn’t let me.

60 - “Me Wise Magic” by Van Halen

Probably the best Van Halen song most people haven’t heard. This was a new David Lee Roth song from their greatest hits album.

59 - “Blaze of Glory” by Bon Jovi

“You ask about my conscience/ And I offer you my soul/ You ask If I'll grow to be a wise man/ Well I ask if I'll grow old/ You ask me if I known love/ And what it's like to sing songs in the rain/ Well, I've seen love come/ And I've seen it shot down/ I've seen it die in vain/ Shot down in a blaze of glory/ Take me now but know the truth/ 'Cause I'm going down in a blaze of glory/ Lord I never drew first/ But I drew first blood/ I'm the devil's son/ Call me young gun”

One of my favorite songs growing up.

58 - “Somewhere Else” by Toby Keith

“And I don’t know where you might be/ Where ever it is it’ll be without me/ Keep thinkin’ I’ll come home one day and find you/ Long as I got that neon light/ Shinin’ like a beacon in the night/ I know I can make it downtown by myself/ ‘Cause if you don’t know where you’re goin’/ You might end up somewhere else”

This is a new song that really is good enough for the top 100.

57 - “Who Are You” by The Who

56 - “Another Brick in the Wall (Part II)” by Pink Floyd

55 - “1999” by Prince

How many times do you think this song was played in 1999? Over/Under 1,000,000 times? I’m going with the over.

54 - “We've Gotta Get Out of This Place” by The Animals

I think everyone had to think of this song at least once in college.

53 - “You've Lost That Loving Feeling” by The Righteous Brothers

In college I tried to get Jeremy to help me recreate the scene from Top Gun where Maverick and Goose sing this song. He wouldn’t do it.

52 - “Jump” by Van Halen

51 - “My Girl” by The Temptations

50 - “What's Going One” by Marvin Gaye

49 - “Don't Stop Believin'” by Journey

48 - “Bridge Over Troubled Water” by Simon and Garfunkle

47 - “Be Young, Be Foolish, Be Happy” by The Tams

“Life is too short to worry about unimportant things/ Reach for the sky and touch a star, and then you'll find you dream/ Because dreaming alone is a shame indeed/ But if you've got love, that's all you'll need/ So be young, be foolish, girl be happy/ Be young, be foolish, girl be happy”

46 - “Hotel California” by The Eagles

45 - “Save The Last Dance For Me” by The Drifters

44 - “You Can Call Me Al” by Paul Simon

I love the music video for this song. It’s hard to have a bad video if you’ve got Chevy Chase in it.

43 - “The Devil Went Down To Georgia” by The Charlie Daniels Band

“The devil bowed his head because he knew that he'd been beat./ He laid that golden fiddle on the ground at Johnny's feet./ Johnny said: ‘Devil just come on back if you ever want to try again./ I told you once, you sonofab****, I'm the best that's ever been.’”

I had a chance in high school to see The Charlie Daniels Band play live at the Fair. It’s the only time in my life that I left the Fair happy that I had gone. This is a song that I would sometimes sing to MR at bedtime. I had to stop, though, because I’d get too into it and she would end up waking up.

42 - “Sixty Minute Man” by The Dominoes

Hey look, another song about me. ;)

41 - “Stay” by Maurice Williams and the Zodiacs

40 - “Smells Like Teen Spirit” by Nirvana

Ok, here you go Nirvana fans… their one good song is on the list. You’re welcome. Haha… I don’t hate this song as much as some people think. I do think it’s a Top 40 song… which really when you think about it, that makes it a great song.

39 - “Sweet Home Alabama” by Lynyrd Skynyrd

You only need to hear about the first second or two of this song to know it’s this song.

38 - “Enter Sandman” by Metallica

37 - “La Bamba” by Ritchie Valens

I don’t really know what the words mean… but I love singing them. Or at least trying to sing them. For all I know, I’m singing/shouting something like “I’m whitey here to take all of your money! Come punch me in the face!”… but with the music playing and Ritchie singing, I can’t help but sing along.

36 - “While My Guitar Gently Weeps” by The Beatles

This is probably my favorite Beatles song that doesn’t have Paul or John in the lead vocals.

35 - “Mrs. Robinson” by Simon and Garfunkle

“Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio,/ Our nation turns it's lonely eyes to you./ What's that you say, Mrs. Robinson./ Jolting Joe has left and gone away,/ Hey hey hey.”

Based on the movie, I think there’s a good chance this song was written for Sonny’s wife.

34 - “I Love Beach Music” by The Embers

Who doesn’t love beach music?



Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Lieutenant Commander John Duncan Bulkeley (US Navy) received his Medal of Honor for his actions from December 7, 1941 to April 10, 1942 in the Philippine waters. His citation reads:

For extraordinary heroism, distinguished service, and conspicuous gallantry above and beyond the call of duty as commander of Motor Torpedo Boat Squadron 3, in Philippine waters during the period 7 December 1941 to 10 April 1942. The remarkable achievement of Lt. Comdr. Bulkeley's command in damaging or destroying a notable number of Japanese enemy planes, surface combatant and merchant ships, and in dispersing landing parties and land-based enemy forces during the 4 months and 8 days of operation without benefit of repairs, overhaul, or maintenance facilities for his squadron, is believed to be without precedent in this type of warfare. His dynamic forcefulness and daring in offensive action, his brilliantly planned and skillfully executed attacks, supplemented by a unique resourcefulness and ingenuity, characterize him as an outstanding leader of men and a gallant and intrepid seaman. These qualities coupled with a complete disregard for his own personal safety reflect great credit upon him and the Naval Service.

Sergeant William Bumgarner (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on April 2, 1862 at Petersburg, Virginia. His citation reads:

Gallantry in the charge of the "volunteer storming party."

Sergeant James H. Burbank (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on October 3, 1862 at Blackwater near Franklin, Virginia. His citation reads:

Gallantry in action while on detached service on board the gunboat Barney.

No comments:

Post a Comment