Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Wednesday, May 18, 2011

HAPPY Birthday Casey!!!

I would like to start today by wishing my cousin(-in-law) Casey a very happy birthday! I hope my cousin (by birth) Louis treats her nice today.

Mary Ruth graduated from day care last night. It was a lot of fun. I mean, if you can’t have fun watching little kids sing then something is wrong with you.


Also, I would be remiss if I did not send a big Thank You over to my good friends at Our Life for bringing over a wonderful meal of poppyseed chicken, green beans and Klondike bars. My illness has left me no appetite and what little I have eaten has, for the most part, come back up. Yet I ate a plate full of this delicious meal right after KC left the house. And I refused to let it come back up. It’s that good. Unfortunately, I haven’t been able to eat any since then… but it is in the fridge waiting for me (I have given orders that no one is to touch it until I have at least two more servings). Trust me, this meal makes having a third child so worth it.

Don’t forget, Darius Rucker will honor Pattison's Academy should he win CMT Performance of the year! This is a FAN supported contest. Click here to vote for Darius and you'll be voting for Pattison's!!

We will now continue our countdown of the I’m just sayin… Top 1,081 Songs of All Time


486 - “The Wind Cries Mary” by Jimi Hendrix

“A broom is drearily sweeping/ up the broken pieces of yesterday's life./ Somewhere a Queen is weeping,/ somewhere a King has no wife./ And the wind it cries Mary.”

485 - “Jack and Diane” by John Mellencamp

“Jacky sits back collects his thoughts for the moment/ Scratches his head and does his best James Dean./ Well you know Diane, we oughtta run off to the city/ Diane says ‘Baby, you aint missin' a thing’/ Jacky say ah”

This song is so simple… yet so, so great!

484 - “Beautiful Boy (Darling Boy)” by John Lennon

“Close your eyes,/ Have no fear,/ The monsters gone,/ He's on the run and your daddy's here,/ Beautiful,/ Beautiful, beautiful,/ Beautiful Boy,”

483 - “Heartbreaker” by Led Zeppelin

“Well it's been ten years or maybe more/ since I first set eyes on you/ The best years of my life gone by, here I am alone and blue/ Some people cry and some people die by the wicked ways of love/ but I'll just keep on rollin' along/ with the grace of the Lord above”

482 - “Same Ol' Situation (S.O.S.)” by Motley Crue

“It's the same ol', same ol' situation/ It's the same ol', same ol' ball and chain/ Girl, it's the same ol', same ol' situation/ It's the same ol', same ol' ball and chain/ You know it's just got to say/ All around the world/ Girls will be girls”

481 - “Roll With Me” by Montgomery Gentry

“So now I'm slowing it down and I'm looking around/ And I'm lovin this town and I'm doing alright/ Aint' worried 'bout nothing cept for the man I wanna be/ I'm thinking maybe it's time to be livin' the rhyme/ When I'm singing a song about nothing but right/ And it's sure be nice if you would roll with me”

480 - “Better Man” by Pearl Jam

“Waitin', watchin' the clock, it's four o'clock, it's got to stop/ Tell him, take no more, she practices her speech/ As he opens the door, she rolls over.../ Pretends to sleep as he looks her over/ She lies and says she's in love with him, can't find a better man.../ She dreams in color, she dreams in red, can't find a better man.../ Can't find a better man”

479 - “Fancy” by Reba McEntire

“I remember it all very well lookin' back/ It was the summer I turned eighteen/ We lived in a one room, rundown shack/ On the outskirts of New Orleans/ We didn't have money for food or rent/ To say the least we were hard pressed/ Then Mama spent every last penny we had/ To buy me a dancin' dress”

478 - “Love Song” by Tesla

“Love is all around you/ Love is knocking outside the door/ Waitin' for you/ Is this love made just for two/ Keep an open heart and/ you'll find love again/ I know”

477 - “Twistin' The Night Away” by Sam Cooke

“Let me tell you 'bout a place/ Somewhere up-a New York way/ Where the people are so gay/ Twistin' the night away-ay/ Here they have a lot of fun/ Puttin' trouble on the run/ Man, you find the old and young/ Twistin' the night away/ They're twistin', twistin', everybody's feelin' great/ They're twistin', twistin', they're twistin' the night away”

There are some songs I like to just rock out to and then there are songs that I could listen to all day. This song is one I could listen to all day and all night.

476 - “Kokomo” by The Beach Boys

“Bodies in the sand/ Tropical drink melting in your hand/ We'll be falling in love/ To the rhythm of a steel drum band/ Down in Kokomo”

I think this might be the last hit The Beach Boys had.

475 - “When I'm Sixty-Four” by The Beatles

“When I get older losing my hair,/ Many years from now,/ Will you still be sending me a valentine/ Birthday greetings bottle of wine?/ If I'd been out till quarter to three/ Would you lock the door,/ Will you still need me, will you still feed me,/ When I'm sixty-four?”

I love this catchy little tune.

474 - “Don't Do Me Like That” by Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers

“Don’t do me like that/ Don’t do me like that/ I just might love you baby/ Don’t do me like that/ Don’t do me like that/ Someday I might need you honey/ Don’t do me like that/ Somewhere deep down inside/ Somethin’ sayin’, ‘Love doesn’t last that long’”

473 - “Buddy Holly” by Weezer

“Bang Bang! Knocking on the door. Another bang bang get down on the floor.
Oh no, what do we do? Don't look now, but I lost my shoe.
I can't run and I can't kick. What’s the matter babe? Are you feeling sick?
What’s the matter what’s the matter what’s the matter you?
What’s the matter babe? Are you feeling blue! Oh-ohhhh.”

472 - “War” by Edwin Starr

“War, huh yeah/ What is it good for?/ Absolutely nothing, oh hoh, oh/ War huh yeah/ What is it good for?/ Absolutely nothing, say it again y'all/ War, huh good God/ What is it good for?/ Absolutely nothing, listen to me”

471 - “All the Way” by Frank Sinatra

“When somebody loves you/ It's no good unless he loves you - all the way/ Happy to be near you/ When you need someone to cheer you - all the way/ Taller than the tallest tree is/ That's how it's got to feel/ Deeper than the deep blue sea is/ That's how deep it goes - if it's real”

The Wife loves this song. She’s more a fan of Celine Dion’s version, but I prefer a real singer.

470 - “Two Tickets to Paradise” by Eddie Money

“I've got two tickets to paradise,/ Won't you pack your bags, we'll leave tonight,/ I've got two tickets to paradise,/ I've got two tickets to paradise.”

469 - “Islands in the Stream” by Dolly Parton with Kenny Rogers

“Islands in the stream/ That is what we are/ No one in-between/ How can we be wrong/ Sail away with me to another world/ And we rely on each other, ah-ah/ From one lover to another, ah-ah”

468 - “I Can't Give You Anything But Love” by Dean Martin

“Well I can't give you anything but love baby/ That's the only thing I've plenty of baby/ You dream awhile and you scheme awhile/ You're sure to find happiness and/ I guess all the things you think are fine”

This guy was cool no matter what he was doing.

467 - “Animal” by Def Leppard

“I gotta feel it in my blood/ Whoa-oh/ I need your touch don't need your love/ Whoa-oh/ And I want, and I need, and I lust/ Animal/ And I want, and I need, and I lust/ Animal”

466 - “State of Mind” by Clint Black

“Got a big leather suitcase, all I own's inside/ Seems I've been walkin' for days, can't even bum a ride/ Try steppin' to a tune, with the rhythm of a walkin' man/ Mind drifts like a big balloon out of my situation at hand/ Ain't it funny how a melody can bring back a memory/ Take you to another place in time/ Completely change your state of mind/ Walkin' down a lonely highway not feelin' alone”

465 - “All I Want” by Darius Rucker

“You can have the money/ You can have the house/ Take the Cadillac and that boat out back/ and your mothers pink and yellow couch/ You can have every penny that I'll make from this here song/ Girl all I want you to leave me is alone”

Funny song.

464 - “Roll On Mississippi” by Charley Pride

“Walking along, whistling a song, bare foot and fancy free/ A big riverboat, passing us by, she's headed for New Orleans/ There she goes, disappearing around a bend/ Roll on Mississippi, you make me feel like a child again”

463 - “Not Fade Away” by Buddy Holly and The Crickets

“I'm a-gonna tell you how it's gonna be/ You're gonna give your love to me/ I wanna love you night and day/ You know my love a-not fade away/ A-well, you know my love a-not fade away”

This song has been covered by a number of well known artists/groups, but I like this version the best. I’ve also read where a lot of groups would listen to this song before going out on stage.

462 - “Ride Cowboy Ride/Stick to Your Guns” by Bon Jovi

“Ride cowboy ride./ Through the back door to heaven./ To the other side./ I wanna know the danger of a kiss./ At midnight./ So you want to be a cowboy/ Well you know it's more than just a ride/ Guess you got to know the real thing/ If you want to know the other side/ Ain't nobody riding shotgun/ In this world tonight”

Technically, I think these are two separate songs… but on the album they kind of blend into each other so I combined them on this list.

461 - “Knockin' on Heaven's Door” by Bob Dylan

“Mama, take this badge off of me/ I can't use it anymore./ It's gettin' dark, too dark to see/ I feel I'm knockin' on heaven's door./ Knock, knock, knockin' on heaven's door/ Knock, knock, knockin' on heaven's door/ Knock, knock, knockin' on heaven's door/ Knock, knock, knockin' on heaven's door”

I believe this song made it on the list a record three times. And this, the original version, is the lowest ranked of the three. I’ve always felt Bob Dylan has a gift of writing songs that everyone else can sing better than him.

460 - “(I've Had) The Time of My Life” by Bill Medley and Jennifer Warnes

“Now I've had the time of my life/ No I never felt like this before/ Yes I swear it's the truth/ and I owe it all to you”

A great song from Jeremy’s favorite movie, Dirty Dancing. I don’t want to embarrass him, but he gets so pumped up during the “Nobody puts Baby in a corner” scene. It’s fun to watch (him… not that scene… that scene is the worst movie scene ever).

459 - “Have a Drink On Me” by AC/DC

“Oh, Whiskey, gin and brandy/ With a glass I'm pretty handy/ I'm trying to walk a straight line/ On sour mash and cheap wine/ So join me for a drink boys/ We're gonna make a big noise/ So don't worry about tomorrow/ Take it today/ Forget about the tip/ We'll get hell to pay/ Have a drink on me/ Have a drink on me/ Yeah/ Have a drink on me/ Have a drink on me/ On me”

458 - “Theme From Dukes of Hazzard” by Waylon Jennings

“Straightenin' the curves/ Flattenin’ the hills/ Someday the mountain might get 'em/ But the law never will”

457 - “Trailerhood” by Toby Keith

“Music’s playin’ up and down the block/ Mostly Christian, Blues, Country, Folk, and Southern Rock/ It’s our little piece of paradise way out here in the woods/ There is always somethin’ goin’ on down in the trailerhood”

456 - “Mamas Don't Let Your Babies Grow Up To Be Cowboys” by Waylon Jennings and Willie Nelson

“Cowboys ain't easy to love and they're harder to hold./ They'd rather give you a song than diamonds or gold./ Lonestar belt buckles and old faded levis,/ And each night begins a new day./ If you don't understand him, an' he don't die young,/ He'll prob'ly just ride away.”

455 - “Beer for My Horses” by Toby Keith with Willie Nelson

“Justice is the one thing you should always find/ You got to saddle up your boys/ You got to draw a hard line/ When the gun smoke settles we'll sing a victory tune/ We'll all meet back at the local saloon/ We'll raise up our glasses against evil forces/ Singing whiskey for my men, beer for my horses”

454 - “Who Knows” by Zac Brown Band

“Who knows/ What the thunder and lightning will bring/ Maybe the storm will cover my dreams/ Maybe the sun will shine no more/ Who knows/ Which way the wind is blowing/ And when we look back on these things/ We won't cry no more”

453 - “The Radio Saved My Life Tonight” by Bon Jovi

“I got something on my mind/ I'm just a little bit depressed/I try to blame it on the rain/ But it was in my heart, I guess/ I'm feeling like a stranger when I drove through my hometown/ Past the sign that reads 'The Boyhood Home of a Place That's Long Gone Now'/ I realized ain't nothing what it used to be/ Until I heard a song that takes me to my memories”

452 - “Poundcake” by Van Halen

“Yeah, she's gotta have a soul,/ Or it won't feel right,/ We're just playin, clean and simple/ Wrapped up, nice and tight/ In a home-grown, and down home,/ That makes a woman/ Cookin' up that old time long lost recipe, for me/ It's gettin' hard to find”


Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Captain of the Afterguard John Brown (US Navy) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on May 10, 1866 on board the USS Winooski. His citation reads:

For heroic conduct with 2 comrades, in rescuing from drowning James Rose and John Russell, seamen, of the U.S.S. Winooski, off Eastport, Maine, 10 May 1866.

Private Lorenzo D. Brown (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on August 9, 1877 at Big Hole, Montana. His citation reads:

After having been severely wounded in right shoulder, continued to do duty in a most courageous manner.

Private First Class Melvin L. Brown (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on September 4, 1950 near Kasan, Korea. His citation reads:

Pfc. Brown, Company D distinguished himself by conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity above and beyond the call of duty in action against the enemy. While his platoon was securing Hill 755 (the Walled City), the enemy, using heavy automatic weapons and small arms, counterattacked. Taking a position on a 50-foot-high wall he delivered heavy rifle fire on the enemy. His ammunition was soon expended and although wounded, he remained at his post and threw his few grenades into the attackers causing many casualties. When his supply of grenades was exhausted his comrades from nearby foxholes tossed others to him and he left his position, braving a hail of fire, to retrieve and throw them at the enemy. The attackers continued to assault his position and Pfc. Brown weaponless, drew his entrenching tool from his pack and calmly waited until they 1 by 1 peered over the wall, delivering each a crushing blow upon the head. Knocking 10 or 12 enemy from the wall, his daring action so inspired his platoon that they repelled the attack and held their position. Pfc. Brown's extraordinary heroism, gallantry, and intrepidity reflect the highest credit upon himself and was in keeping with the honored traditions of the military service. Reportedly missing in action and officially killed in action, September 5, 1950.

1 comment:

  1. Believe it or not, I've only seen a few bits and pieces of Dirty Dancing, and I've never seen the 'Nobody puts Baby in a corner' scene. I had heard people say that phrase for years, and only figured out that it was from that movie when Swayze died.
    And while I respect your list, and realize that music is a subject where there usually no right or wrong answer, I must say that in no list should 'Kokomo' be higher than any of the old Beach Boys songs.

    ReplyDelete