Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Friday, May 20, 2011

Entering the 300’s…

I'm fever free!  My fever left sometime yesterday afternoon/night and it hasn't come back.  So I was able to get back to work today to start catching up on a weeks worth of work. 

I’m against giving big businesses a tax break in this state if it hurts local businesses. That’s why I was against giving breaks to Cabella’s… because they wouldn’t really add anything to the community, but they would hurt local businesses. I was ok with the breaks given to Boeing because they added a lot to the community and they didn’t hurt any local major plane building businesses. Now I see this stuff about Amazon. I get that some people see it and say no tax breaks for anyone! But I think the Tea Party has it wrong here. According to this article, I don’t see a down side to this deal. Let’s look at how things are now: People in South Carolina can buy things online from Amazon.com and not pay any sales tax. Here’s what will change with this deal: Amazon will build a distribution center in South Carolina and create at least 2,000 local, full-time jobs (with health benefits and invest $125 million by the end of 2013) AND will start collecting state sales tax beginning in January 2016. Oh, and they pledged not to open a retail store in the state (I didn’t even realize they had any actual stores… I thought they were just an online business). So… I don’t see a down side for the state.

Don’t forget, Darius Rucker will honor Pattison's Academy should he win CMT Performance of the year! This is a FAN supported contest. Click here to vote for Darius and you'll be voting for Pattison's!!

We will now continue our countdown of the I’m just sayin… Top 1,081 Songs of All Time


416 - “What Kind of Gone” by Chris Cagle

“Well there’s gone for good and there's good and gone/ And there’s gone with the long before it/ I wish she'd been just a little more clear/ Well there’s gone for the day and gone for the night/ And gone for the rest of your doggone life/ Is it whiskey night or just a couple beers/ I mean what kind of gone are we talkin’ bout here”

A great break-up type song.

415 - “Dancing in the Dark” by Bruce Springsteen

“I get up in the evening/ and I ain't got nothing to say/ I come home in the morning/ I go to bed feeling the same way/ I ain't nothing but tired/ Man I'm just tired and bored with myself/ Hey there baby, I could use just a little help/ You can't start a fire/ You can't start a fire without a spark/ This gun's for hire/ even if we're just dancing in the dark”

A great song. I love the video with Courtney Cox dancing on stage with Bruce.

414 - “That'll Be the Day” by Buddy Holly and The Crickets

“Well that'll be the day/ When you say good-bye/ Yea that'll be the day/ When you make me cry/ You say you're gonna leave/ You know it's a lie/ 'cause that'll be the day/ When I die”

413 - “Wild World” by Cat Stevens

“Oh, baby, baby, it's a wild world/ It's hard to get by just upon a smile/ Oh, baby, baby, it's a wild world/ I'll always remember you like a child, girl”

412 - “We Tell Ourselves” by Clint Black

“So we tell ourselves that what we found is what we meant to find/ That's what we tell ourselves/ You won't believe the things/ A heart could tell a mind/ Somehow we sell ourselves on love/ I just don't think I'll believe my heart this time”

411 - “It Won't Be Like This For Long” by Darius Rucker

“It won’t be like this for long/ One day we'll look back laughin’/ At the week we brought her home/ This phase is gonna fly by/ So baby just hold on/ ‘Cause it won't be like this for long”

It’s almost like he wrote this song about Mary Ruth.

410 - “Women” by Def Leppard

“Women! women! - Lots of pretty women/ Men! men! - They can't live without them/ Women! women! - Lots of pretty women/ Men! men! - They can't live without them”

409 - “Yesterdays” by Guns N' Roses

“Yesterday, there was so many things/ I was never told/ Now that I'm startin' to learn/ I feel I'm growing old/ 'Cause yesterday's got nothin' for me/ Old pictures that I'll always see/ Time just fades the pages/ In my book of memories”

408 - “Cinderella” by Steven Curtis Chapman

“So I will dance with Cinderella/ While she is here in my arms/ 'Cause I know something the prince never knew/ Oh, I will dance with Cinderella/ I don't want to miss even one song/ 'Cause all too soon the clock will strike midnight/ And she'll be gone...”

If you have a daughter and this song doesn’t make you tear up a little, something is wrong with you. If you don’t have a daughter and this song makes you tear up… well, something might be wrong with you too.

407 - “Unskinny Bop” by Poison

“Unskinny bop/ Just blows me away/ Unskinny bop, bop/ All night and day/ Unskinny bop, bop, bop, bop/ She just loves to play/ Unskinny bop nothin' more to say”

406 - “Eclipse” by Pink Floyd

“And all you create/ And all you destroy/ And all that you do/ And all that you say/ And all that you eat/ And everyone you meet”

405 - “Separate Lives” by Phil Collins

“You have no right to ask me how I feel/ You have no right to speak to me so kind/ We can’t go on just holding on to time/ Now that we’re living separate lives”

404 - “Patience” by Guns N' Roses

“Said woman take it slow/ It'll work itself out fine/ All we need is just a little patience/ Said sugar make it slow/ And we'll come together fine/ All we need is just a little patience”

A great slow song from GNR.

403 - “Summertime” by Kenny Chesney

“And it's two bare feet on the dashboard/ Young love and an old Ford/ Cheap shades and a tattoo/ And a Yoo-Hoo bottle on the floorboard/ Perfect song on the radio/ Sing along 'cause it's one we know/ It's a smile, it's a kiss/ It's a sip of wine, it's summertime/ Sweet summertime”

402 - “Live and Let Die” by Guns N' Roses

“But if this ever changing/ in which we live in/ Makes you give in and cry/ Say live and let die/ Live and let die”

True story: Guns N’ Roses played during a concert in London many years ago. Paul McCartney’s kids were at the concert. They came home decked out in GNR type clothing (black shirt, bandanna…). Anyway, Sir Paul asks his kids what the coolest part of the concert was and his daughter says it was this song. He says, “Hey, I wrote that song!” His kids said, “Yeah Dad. Sure you did. Tell us another one”. Just goes to show it doesn’t matter who you are, your kids will think there’s no way you were ever cool.

401 - “Live and Let Die” by Paul McCartney

“What does it matter to ya/ When ya got a job to do/ Ya got to do it well/ You got to give the other fella hell”

This version is just a little bit better than the GNR version.

400 - “Black or White” by Michael Jackson

“Don't Tell Me You Agree With Me/ When I Saw You Kicking Dirt In My Eye/ But, If/ You're Thinkin' About My Baby/ It Don't Matter If You're Black Or White”

399 - “Whiskey Rock a Roller” by Lynyrd Skynyrd

“Well, I'm a whiskey rock-a-roller/ That's what I am/ Women, whiskey, and miles of travelin’/ Is all I understand/ Sometimes I wonder ... well where will we go/ Lord don't you take my ... whiskey ... and rock and roll”

Another song that reminds me of college.

398 - “Hallelujah” by Justin Timberlake with Matt Morris and Charlie Sexton

“Now I've heard there was a secret chord/ That David played, and it pleased the Lord/ But you don't really care for music, do you?/ It goes like this/ The fourth, the fifth/ The minor fall, the major lift/ The baffled king composing Hallelujah”

397 - “Mama Kin” by Guns N' Roses

“It ain't easy livin' like you wanna/ It's so hard to find peace of mind/ Yes it is/
The way I see it/ You got to say 'shee-it'/ But don't forget to drop me a line”

A great cover song… better than the original Aerosmith version if you ask me.

396 - “Pray for You” by Jaron and The Long Road to Love

“I pray your brakes go out/ Running down a hill/ I pray and flower pot falls/ From a window sill/ And knocks you in the head like I’d like to/ I pray your birthday comes and nobody calls/ I pray your flying high when your engine stalls/ I pray all your dreams never come true/ Just know wherever you are/ Honey, I pray for you”

Very funny song that I’ve talked about on this blog before.

395 - “Back In Time” by Huey Lewis and The News

“Tell me, doctor, where are we going this time/ Is this the 50's, or 1999/ All I wanted to do - was play my guitar and sing/ So take me away, I don't mind/ But you'd better promise me, I'll be back in time/ Gotta get back in time”

A great song from an even better movie.

394 - “Don't Cry (Original Version)” by Guns N' Roses

“Don't you cry tonight/ I still love you baby/ Don't you cry tonight/ Don't you cry tonight/ There's a heaven above you baby/ And don't you cry tonight”

393 - “The Lady Is a Tramp” by Frank Sinatra

“She gets too hungry, for dinner at eight/ She loves the theater, but doesn't come late/ She'd never bother, with people she'd hate/ That's why the lady is a tramp”

392 - “Rock of Ages” by Def Leppard

“Rise up! gather round/ Rock this place to the ground/ Burn it up let's go for broke/ Watch the night go up in smoke/ Rock on! (Rock on!)/ Drive me crazier, no serenade/ No fire brigade, just Pyromania”

391 - “Surrender” by Cheap Trick

“Your Mommy's all right/ Your Daddy's all right/ They just seem a little weird/ Surrender/ Surrender/ But don't give yourself away/ Hey, hey”

390 - “Teach Your Children” by Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young

“You, who are on the road must have a code that you can live by./ And so become yourself because the past is just a good bye./ Teach your children well, their father's hell did slowly go by,/ And feed them on your dreams, the one they picked, the one you're known by./ Don't you ever ask them why, if they told you you would cry,/ So just look at them and sigh and know they love you.”

389 - “Levon” by Elton John

“Levon wears his war wound like a crown/ He calls his child Jesus/ 'Cause he likes the name/ And he sends him to the finest school in town/ Levon, Levon likes his money/ He makes a lot they say/ Spend his days counting/ In a garage by the motorway”

388 - “Rock and Roll Band” by Boston

“Rock and roll band/ Everybody’s waitin/ Gettin’ crazy/ Anticipating love and music/ Play, play, play, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah”

387 - “Wild in the Streets” by Bon Jovi

“Sometimes this town ain't pretty/ But you know it ain't so bad/ Just like a girl who looks so happy/ When inside she's so, so sad/ In here we got this code of honor/ Nobody's going down/ You don't walk in vain/ Trough the kid's parade/ 'Cause this is my hometown”

386 - “You May Be Right” by Billy Joel

“You may be right/ I may be crazy/ But it just might be a lunatic you're looking for/ Turn out the light/ Don't try to save me/ You may be wrong for all I know/ But you may be right”

385 - “I Shot the Sheriff” by Bob Marley

“Yeah! All around in my home town,/ They're tryin' to track me down;/ They say they want to bring me in guilty/ For the killing of a deputy,/ For the life of a deputy.”

384 - “Rock and Roll Ain't Noise Pollution” by AC/DC

“We're just talkin' about the future/ Forget about the past/ It'll always be with us/ It's never gonna die, never gonna die/ Rock 'n' roll ain't noise pollution/ Rock 'n' roll ain't gonna die/ Rock 'n' roll ain't noise pollution/ Rock 'n' roll it will survive/ Yes it will, ha ha ha ha”

383 - “Sweet Emotion” by Aerosmith

“You talk about things that nobody cares/ You're wearing out things that nobody wears/ You're calling my name but I gotta make clear/ I can't say baby where I'll be in a year”

What a great song. Music and lyrics… just great.

382 - “Roll Me Away” by Bob Seger

“Roll, roll me away,/ won't you roll me away tonight/ I too am lost, I feel double-crossed/ and I'm sick of what's wrong and what's right/ We never even said a word,/ we just walked out and got on that bike/ And we rolled/ And we rolled clean out of sight”

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Private Uriah Brown (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on May 22, 1863 at Vicksburg, Mississippi. His citation reads:

Despite the death of his captain at his side during the assault he continued carrying his log to the defense ditch. While he was laying his log in place he was shot down and thrown into the water. Unmindful of his own wound he, despite the intense fire, dragged 5 of his comrades from the ditch, wherein they lay wounded, to a place of safety.

Landsman William H. Brown (US Navy) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on August 5, 1864 on board the USS Brooklyn. His citation reads:

On board the U.S.S. Brooklyn during successful attacks against Fort Morgan rebel gunboats and the ram Tennessee in Mobile Bay on 5 August 1864. Stationed in the immediate vicinity of the shell whips which were twice cleared of men by bursting shells, Brown remained steadfast at his post and performed his duties in the powder division throughout the furious action which resulted in the surrender of the prize rebel ram Tennessee and in the damaging and destruction of batteries at Fort Morgan.

Landsman Wilson Brown (US Navy) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on August 5, 1864 on board the USS Hartford. His citation reads:

On board the flagship U.S.S. Hartford during successful attacks against Fort Morgan, rebel gunboats and the ram Tennessee in Mobile Bay on 5 August 1864. Knocked unconscious into the hold of the ship when an enemy shellburst fatally wounded a man on the ladder above him, Brown, upon regaining consciousness, promptly returned to the shell whip on the berth deck and zealously continued to perform his duties although 4 of the 6 men at this station had been either killed or wounded by the enemy's terrific fire.

No comments:

Post a Comment