Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Sunday, May 15, 2011

Counting down from 591-557

So I’ve been sick the past few days (fever, bad cough). Not sure what is wrong, but I’m ready to be better now.

Don’t forget, Darius Rucker will honor Pattison's Academy should he win CMT Performance of the year! This is a FAN supported contest. Click here to vote for Darius and you'll be voting for Pattison's!!

We will now continue our countdown of the I’m just sayin… Top 1,081 Songs of All Time

591 - “Under The Boardwalk” by The Drifters

“Oh, when the sun beats down and burns the tar up on the roof/ And your shoes get so hot you wish your tired feet were fire-proof/ Under the boardwalk, down by the sea, yeah/ On a blanket with my baby is where I'll be”

590 - “Wipe Out” by The Beach Boys with The Fat Boys

“We got to California I said headed for the beach/ There were girls galore all within our reach/ There was sand and sun and lots of fun/ But when we get there the fun really begun/ So we cut on the box and started to shout/ It was the Beach Boys rockin' huh huh the ‘Wipeout’”

Beach music mixed with with rap… you wouldn’t think it would work, but it worked GREAT.

589 - “Living in America” by James Brown

“Super highways, coast to coast, easy to get anywhere/ On the transcontinental overload, just slide behind the wheel/ How does it feel/ When there’s no destination-that's too far/ And somewhere on the way, you might find out who you are/ Livin' in America-eye to eye, station to station/ Livin' in America-hand to hand, across the nation/ Livin in America-got to have a celebration”

Great great great song… what an entertainer. Who among us, even when driving, can hear this song and not dance and sing?

588 - “Teardrops on My Guitar” by Taylor Swift

“Drew looks at me, I fake a smile so he won't see/ That I want and I'm needing everything that we should be/ I'll bet she's beautiful, that girl he talks about/ And she's got everything that I have to live without/ Drew talks to me, I laugh 'cause it's so just funny/ That I can't even see anyone when he's with me/ He says he's so in love, he's finally got it right,/ I wonder if he knows he's all I think about at night”

587 - “High On You” by Survivor

“Now I'm higher than a kite/ I know I'm gettin' hooked on your love/ Talkin' to myself, runnin' in the heat/ Beggin' for your touch in the middle/ Of the street and I --/ I can't stop thinking 'bout you girl/ I must be living in a fantasy world/ I've searched the whole world over/ To find a heart so true/ Such complete intoxication/ I'm high on you”

586 - “A Dying Cub Fan's Last Request” by Steve Goodman

“Do they still play the blues in Chicago/ When baseball season rolls around/ When the snow melts away,/ Do the Cubbies still play/ In their ivy-covered burial ground/ When I was boy they were my pride and joy/ But now they only bring fatigue/ To the home of the brave/ The land of the free/ And the doormat of the National League”

There is no way… NO WAY you can hear this song and not love it. This is THE best Cubs song EVER. Just a man with great lyrics and a guitar. I love it. Very funny.

585 - “Come Sail Away” by Styx

“I look to the sea,/ Reflections in the waves spark my memory,/ Some happy, some sad,/ I think of childhood friends and the dreams we had,/ We lived happily forever, so the story goes,/ But somehow we missed out on the pot of gold/ But we'll try best that we can to carry on”

584 - “Luv Me, Luv Me” by Shaggy with Janet Jackson

“Now let me hit you off with this question sign/ You seem to be the type for me to wine and dine/ A little candlelight dinner toasted over some wine/ Well, I will hit you off with this lyrical rhyme”

I think Jeremy used this song at an auction he was in one time. I could be wrong about that… I want to say he brought in $5, but I have no reason to want to say that other than I thought it might be funny.

583 - “What Do You Think About That” by Montgomery Gentry

“Some people care about what other people think/ Worry about what they say/ Let a little gossip/ Coming from a loose lip ruin a perfect day/ Say, blah, blah, blah, just a jacking their jaws/ Got a letta roll off-a my back/ I don't give a dern what other people think/ What do ya think about that”

582 - “Real World” by Matchbox Twenty

“Straight up, what did you hope to learn about here/ If I were someone else, would this all fall apart/ Strange, where were you, when we started this gig,/ I wish the real world, would just stop hassling me”

581 - “First Time for Everything” by Little Texas

“I don't stay out all night/ I don't close down the bars/ And I don't make a fool of myself/ Well, I don't drink too much/ And I don't get too loud/ And I don't ever raise too much hell/ But there's a first time for everything/ Since you said goodbye/ There's not much of anything/ That I haven't tried/ To somehow get over you/ There's no tellin' what I might do/ 'Cause if I've learned anything/ There's a first time for everything”

A good rebound song.

580 - “The Chain” by Fleetwood Mac

“Listen to the wind blow, down comes the night/ Run in the shadows/ Damn your love, damn your lies/ Break the silence/ Damn the dark, damn the light/ And if you don't love me now/ You will never love me again/ I can still hear you saying you would never break the chain”

If you don’t know the story of Fleetwood Mac, look it up. It will make you feel better about your work situation. I mean, these people were messed up. You’ve got this person married to this person but sleeping with this person while this other person was married to a different person but sleeping with someone else. Not really uncommon in the Rock world… except that all of the people in this case were in the band.

579 - “Rock and Roll” by Led Zeppelin

“It's been a long time since the book of love,/ I can't count the tears of a life with no love./ Carry me back, carry me back,/ Carry me back, baby, where I come from./ It's been a long time, been a long time,/ Been a long lonely, lonely, lonely, lonely, lonely time.”

578 - “No Shoes, No Shirt, No Problems” by Kenny Chesney

“No shoes, no shirt, no problems/ Blues what blues..hey I forgot them/ The sun and the sand and a drink in my hand with no bottom/ And no shirt, no shirt, and no problems!/ No problems”

577 - “Pink Houses” by John Mellencamp

“There's a young man in a t-shirt/ Listenin' to a rockin' rollin' station/ He's got greasy hair, greasy smile/ He says, ‘Lord this must be my destination.’/ 'Cause they told me when I was younger/ ‘Boy you're gonna be president.’/ But just like everything else those old crazy dreams/ Just kinda came and went”

576 - “Innocence” by Hootie and the Blowfish

“What else can I do when the tears have all been wasted?/ And the only voice you choose to hear/ sings the songs of our hearts breaking./ Say your dreams, they all have changed./ Well, my smiles, they all have faded./ And the thoughts that used to seem so pure in my heart,/ they now feel jaded./ Because I wanna feel like I did./ And I wanna feel innocence.”

575 - “You Really Got Me Now” by Jon Bon Jovi

“You brought a knife out to a gunfight/ And you're shouting that I'm dead/ My old friends Smith and Wesson/ Think you're in over your head/ You really got me, you really got me now/ You know I don't know how you do it/ But you really drive me through it/ You got me now”

There’s some great piano work in this song.

574 - “Instant Karma!” by John Lennon

“Instant Karma's gonna get you,/ Gonna look you right in the face,/ Better get yourself together darlin',/ Join the human race,/ How in the world you gonna see,/ Laughin' at fools like me,/ Who on earth d'you think you are,/ A super star,/ Well, right you are./ Well we all shine on,/ Like the moon and the stars and the sun,/ Well we all shine on,/ Ev'ryone come on.”

573 - “Somewhere Over The Rainbow/What A Wonderful World” by Israel "IZ" Kamakawiwo'ole

“Somewhere over the rainbow way up high/ And the dreams that you dream of once in a lullaby/ Somewhere over the rainbow blue birds fly/ And the dreams that you dream of, dreams really do come true”

572 - “If This Is It” by Huey Lewis and The News

“I've been phoning night and morning/ I heard you say ‘tell him I'm not home’/ Now you're confessing, But I'm still guessing/ I've been your fool for so so long/ Girl don't lie, just to save my feelings/ Girl don't cry, and tell me nothing's wrong/ Girl don't try to make up phony reasons/ I'd rather leave than never believe”

571 - “Home Again” by Hootie and the Blowfish

“Your letter came yesterday/ Your, flying home for Christmas/ Could you stop to see me smile/ I sat down to remember/ All the pain we shared/ But I drifted to times not so hard/ Oh I see you in the corner of/ Life's grand ballroom/ And I tremble to see you again”

570 - “Solitude” by Edwin McCain with Darius Rucker

“Well growing up these days just ain't easy/ And the kids they're doing the best that they can/ So mama you better think twice/ Before you lock your kid up and throw away the key/ 'Cause soon your little boy is gonna be a man/ He said thank you mom for fixing/ My clouded broken mind/ But excuse me if I seem a little rude/ While I was missing my childhood, my brother and my prime/ You enjoyed the convenience of my solitude”

Darius’ part in this song is what gets it on the list.

569 - “What Would You Say” by Dave Matthews Band

“What would you say/ Don't drop the big one/ If you a monkey on a string/ Don't cut my lifeline/ If you a doggie on a chain/ Don't bite the mailman/ What would you say”

568 - “Keep the Faith” by Bon Jovi

“Mother mother tell your children/ That their time has just begun/ I have suffered for my anger/ There are wars that can't be won/ Father father please believe me/ I am laying down my guns/ I am broken like an arrow/ Forgive me/ Forgive your wayward son”

567 - “All For Love” by Bryan Adams, Rod Stewart and Sting

“Let's make it all for one and all for love./ Let the one you hold be the one you want,/ The one you need,/ 'Cause when it's all for one it's one for all./ When there's someone that should know/ Then just let your feelings show/ And make it all for one and all for love.”

566 - “Undo It” by Carrie Underwood

“You stole my happy/ You made my cry/ Took the lonely and took me for a ride/ And I wanna Uh-uh-uh-uh-uh undo it/ You had my heart, now I want it back/ I'm starting to see everything you lack/ Boy, you blew it/ You put me through it/ I wanna Uh-uh-uh-uh-uh undo it”

MR loves this song.

565 - “Thunder Road” by Bruce Springsteen

“We got one last chance to make it real/ To trade in these wings on some wheels/ Climb in back/ Heaven's waiting on down the tracks/ Oh-oh come take my hand/ We're riding out tonight to case the promised land/ Oh-oh Thunder Road oh Thunder Road/ Lying out there like a killer in the sun/ Hey I know it's late we can make it if we run/ Oh Thunder Road sit tight take hold/ Thunder Road”

564 - “I Gotta Feeling” by Black Eyed Peas

“I know that we'll have a ball/ If we get down and go out and just lose it all/ I feel stressed out, I wanna let it go/ Let's go way out spaced out and losing all control/ Fill up my cup, mozoltov/ Look at her dancing, just take it off/ Let's paint the town, we'll shut it down/ Let's burn the roof, and then we'll do it again”

563 - “Always” by Bon Jovi

“This Romeo is bleeding/ But you can't see his blood/ It's nothing but some feelings/ That this old dog kicked up/ It's been raining since you left me/ Now I'm drowning in the flood/ You see I've always been a fighter/ But without you I give up/ Now I can't sing a love song/ Like the way it's meant to be/ Well, I guess I'm not that good anymore/ But baby, that's just me”

562 - “It's Five O'Clock Somewhere” by Alan Jackson with Jimmy Buffett

“An' pour me something tall and strong,/ Make it a "Hurricane" before I go insane./ It's only half-past twelve but I don't care./ It's five o'clock somewhere./ I could pay off my tab, pour myself in a cab,/ An' be back to work before two./ At a moment like this, I can't help but wonder,/ What would Jimmy Buffet do?”

561 - “Beverly Hills” by Weezer

“Look at all those movie stars/ They're all so beautiful and clean/ When the housemaids scrub the floors/ They get the spaces in between/ I wanna live a life like that/ I wanna be just like a king/ Take my picture by the pool/ Cause I'm the next big thing in”

I love the beat of this song.

560 - “Luckenbach, Texas (Back to the Basics of Love)” by Waylon Jennings

“Let's go to Luckenbach, Texas/ With Waylon and Willie and the boys/ This successful life we're livin'/ Got us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys/ Between Hank Williams' pain songs and/ Newberry's train songs and Blue Eyes Cryin' in the Rain/ Out in Luckenbach, Texas ain't nobody feelin' no pain”

559 - “Dreams” by Van Halen

“We'll get higher and higher straight up we'll climb/ We'll get higher and higher leave it all behind/ Run, run, run, away/ Like a train runnin off the track/ The truth gets left behind/ And falls between the cracks/ Standing on broken dreams/ But never losing sight/ Spread your wings”

558 - “Danny Boy” by The Irish Tenor Trio

“Oh, Danny Boy, the pipes, the pipes are calling/ From glen to glen and down the mountainside./ The summer’s gone, and all the roses falling./ It’s you, it’s you must go and I must bide./ But come ye back when summer’s in the meadow,/ Or when the valley’s hushed and white with snow./ It’s I’ll be here in sunshine or in shadow./ Oh, Danny Boy, oh, Danny Boy, I love you so.”

In honor of my Danny Boy.

557 - “Joy To The World” by Three Dog Night

“Jeremiah was a bullfrog/ Was a good friend of mine/ I never understood a single word he said/ But I helped him a-drink his wine/ And he always had some mighty fine wine/ Joy to the world/ All the boys and girls/ Joy to the fishes in the deep blue sea/ Joy to you and me”


Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Corporal Charles Brown (US Marine Corps) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on June 11, 1871 on board the USS Colorado. His citation reads:

On board the U.S.S. Colorado in action against a Korean fort on 11 June 1871. Assisted in capturing the Korean standard in the center of the citadel of the fort.

Corporal Edward Brown, Jr. (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on May 3-4, 1863 at Fredericksburg and Salem Heights, Virginia. His citation reads:

Severely wounded while carrying the colors, he continued at his post, under fire, until ordered to the rear.

Sergeant Henri Le Fevre Brown (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on May 6, 1864 at Wilderness, Virginia. His citation reads:

Voluntarily and under a heavy fire from the enemy, 3 times crossed the field of battle with a load of ammunition in a blanket on his back, thus supplying the Federal forces, whose ammunition had nearly all been expended, and enabling them to hold their position until reinforcement arrived, when the enemy were driven from their position.

No comments:

Post a Comment