Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Monday, May 9, 2011

Counting Down 801 - 767

It seems there was some kind of glitch in the blogging system last night because I thought I posted this Mother’s Day post last night, but I didn’t see it when I looked this morning… but then I DID see it later (around lunch time). So, if you missed it, click here to view it.

Now let us continue our countdown of the I’m just sayin… Top 1,081 Songs of All Time

801 - “If You Don't Start Drinkin' (I'm Gonna Leave)” by George Thorogood

“I'm tired of putting up/ With your sober ways/ Tired of looking at you/ Through an alcoholic haze/ You better change/ I'm begging you please/ 'cause if you don't start drinkin'/ I'm gonna leave”

A funny little song.

800 - “The Heat Is On” by Glenn Frey

“The shadows are on the darker side/ Behind those doors, it's a wilder ride/ You can make a break, you can win or lose/ That's a chance you take, when the heat's on you/ When the heat is on”

A great song by Frey (while The Eagles were on a break) from the Beverly Hills Cop soundtrack.

799 - “Before the Heartache Rolls In” by Hootie and the Blowfish

“There's a chill in your kissin'/ And a thrill I've been missin' too long/ This love is deceivin', babe, I'm believin'/ This thing's going' wrong/ 'Cause your eyes betray your heart and soul/ And your love for me is growin' old”

Originally done by the group Foster and Lloyd… I prefer the Hootie and the Blowfish version.

798 - “Wide Open” by Jason Aldean

“The corner café/ She scrapes some quarters off the table/ Says thanks yeah now maybe I'll be able/ To get that black Mercedes/ I've been saving for/ The other girls say/ You outta undue a couple buttons/ Start showing off a little something/ She says naw you go ahead/ Think I'd rather stay poor/ See I'm just making rent/ She said this ain't where my road ends”

797 - “But It's Alright” by J.J. Jackson

“You don't know how I feel/ You'll never know how I feel/ When I needed you to come around/ You always try to bring me down/ Oh, but I know, girl, believe me when I say that/ You are surely, surely gonna pay, girl/ But it's all right all right girl”

796 - “For Once in My Life” by Frank Sinatra with Gladys Knight and Stevie Wonder

“For once I can say: ‘this is mine you can’t take it’/ As long as I’ve got love I know I can make it/ For once in my life I’ve got someone who needs me”

I love the lyrics to this song. These three sing it great together.

795 - “Goodbye Yellow Brick Road” by Elton John

“You know you can't hold me forever/ I didn't sign up with you/ I'm not a present for your friends to open/ This boy's too young to be singing the blues”

To see a song this great ranked here makes me question my staff a little. Maybe it just means we have some great songs yet to come.

794 - “Loaded” by Toby Keith

“I'm loaded, got a fist full of cash/ I'm rollin' just filed her up with gas/ I'm goin' where I wanna be, I got my baby beside me/ She's strollin' and I like it a lot/ She's showin' everything she's got/ We're blowin' these twenty dollar bills/ I can't tell ya how good I feel/ I'm loaded”

793 - “Just To See You Smile” by Tim McGraw

“Just to see you smile/ I'd do anything that you wanted me to/ When all is said and done/ I'd never count the cost/ It's worth all that's lost/ Just to see you smile”

This is kind of an up-tempo sad song…

792 - “The Last Resort” by The Eagles

“Some rich men came and raped the land/ Nobody caught 'em/ Put up a bunch of ugly boxes, and Jesus/ People bought 'em/ And they called it paradise/ The place to be/ They watched the hazy sun, sinking in the sea”

This is a great, slow ballad from The Eagles. The music and the lyrics in this song are very well done.

791 - “Ballad of Balad” by Toby Keith

“Oh, you'll meet lots of new friends/ And you're sure to get paid./ We'll show you the world/ And we'll teach you a trade./ It's not a job, it's an adventure/ Oh yes sir I got that/ Ahh but you never told me I'd get my ass shot at./ You never told me I'd get my ass shot at.”

790 - “Wasted Time” by The Eagles

“You never thought you'd be alone this far down the line/ And I know what's been on your mind/ You're afraid it's all been wasted time”

789 - “Speak Now” by Taylor Swift

“I sneak in and see your friends/ And her snotty little family all dressed in pastel/ And she is yelling at a bridesmaid/ Somewhere back inside a room/ Wearing a gown shaped like a pastry”

788 - “Lady Madonna” by The Beatles

“Lady Madonna, children at your feet/ Wonder how you manage to make ends meet/ Who find the money when you pay the rent/ Did you think that money was heaven sent”

787 - “Chain Gang” by Sam Cooke

“All day long they work so hard till the sun is going down/ Working on the highways and byways and wearing, wearing a frown/ You hear they moaning their lives away/ Then you hear somebody say/ That's the sound of the men/ Working on the chain, gang/ That's the sound of the men/ Working on the chain, gang”

Another song that plays in my head when I’m working at The Lake.

786 - “Making Love Out of Nothing at All” by Air Supply

“I can make the runner stumble/ I can make the final block;/ And I can make every tackle, at the sound of the whistle/ I can make all the stadiums rock./ I can make tonight forever/ Or I can make it disappear by the dawn;/ And I can make you every promise that has ever been made/ And I can make all your demons be gone.”

I don’t know what it is about this song, but I love it.

785 - “Mud on the Tires” by Brad Paisley

“There's a place I know about where the dirt road runs out/ And we can try out the four-wheel drive/ Come on now what do you say/ Girl, I can hardly wait to get a little mud on the tires”

784 - “Cover Me” by Bruce Springsteen

“The times are tough now, just getting tougher/ This old world is rough, it's just getting rougher/ Cover me, come on baby, cover me/ Well I'm looking for a lover who will come on in and cover me”

783 - “If I Had Wings” by Darius Rucker

“Why do we hate? Why do we suffer?/ Why do we make our mistakes, and constantly blame one another?/ Why is there war, and why is there killing?/ Have we forgotten some secret we knew back when we were just children?”

782 - “Silly Little Pop Song” by Hootie and the Blowfish

“One thing's for sure/ I just can't find the way/ To let it seem like all is wrong/ Inside my den/ Hold back/ Breathe easy/ She said to me/ Go somewhere and change your mind/ Just let me sleep”

781 - “We Can Work It Out” by The Beatles

“Think of what you're saying/ You can get it wrong and still/ You think that it's all right/ Think of what I'm saying/ We can work it out and/ Get it straight or say good night/ We can work it out/ We can work it out”

780 - “If You're Going Through Hell” by Rodney Atkins

“Well you know those times when you feel like/ There's a sign there on your back/ That says I don't mind if you kick me, seems like everybody has/ Things go from bad to worse/ You think it can't get worse than that/ And then they do”

779 - “Angel” by Shaggy with Rayvon

“Girl, you’re my angel, you’re my darling angel/ Closer than my peeps you are to me, baby/ Shorty, you’re my angel, you’re my darling angel/ Girl, you’re my friend when I’m in need, lady”

778 - “Show Me the Way” by Styx

“Every night I say a prayer/ In the hopes that there's a Heaven/ And everyday I'm more confused/ As the saints turn into sinners/ All the heroes and legends/ I knew as a child have fallen to idols of clay/ And I feel this empty place inside/ So afraid that I've lost my faith”

I heard Billy Graham reference this song in a sermon once. Not sure you’ll see me write that about too many songs on this list.

777 - “Joey” by Sugarland

“What if I spoke up/ What if I took the keys/ What if I had tried a little harder/ Instead of always trying to please”

The second song on this list with this title… but this isn’t the same song as the one by Bon Jovi.

776 - “Love Story” by Taylor Swift

“We were both young, when I first saw you./ I close my eyes and the flashback starts-/ I'm standing there, on a balcony in summer air./ I see the lights; see the party, the ball gowns./ I see you make your way through the crowd-/ You say hello, little did I know...”

775 - “He's My Brother-in-Law” by Tim Wilson

“She finally told him he wasn't worth a damn/ He tries to blame it all on Vietnam/ But he wasn't there, he was twelve in seventy-four/ And he's got a bad back and a messy divorce/ He's got a workman's comp case tied up in court/ He can't move and I can sure vouch for that”

This could very well be the best of the Comedy songs on this list. Do I think of The Wife’s brother when I hear this song? Maybe… :)

774 - “Quiet Your Mind” by Zac Brown Band

“I hear the waves/ Sun beatin' down on my shoulders/ It's a near-perfect day/ Wishin' I wouldn't get any older/ They say that it's gone 'fore you know it now/ Quiet your mind/ Soak it all in/ It's a game you can't win/ Enjoy the ride”

773 - “My List” by Toby Keith

“Go for a walk, say a little prayer/ Take a deep breath of mountain air/ Put on my glove and play some catch/ It's time that I make time for that/ Wade the shore and cast a line/ Look up a long lost friend of mine/ Sit on the porch and give my girl a kiss/ Start livin', that's the next thing on my list”

This is song is great at reminding me to slow down and only worry about the important things (like family… and, of course, you my readers).

772 - “Last Dollar (Fly Away)” by Tim McGraw

“I’m down to my last dollar/ I've walk right through my shoes/ Just a small reminder of the hell that I’ve gone through/ But look at me still smiling/ As I’m wondering what I’ll do/ Since I ain’t got nothing/ I've got nothing to lose”

771 - “Busy Being Fabulous” by The Eagles

“And you were just too busy being fabulous/ Too busy to think about us/ I don't know what you were dreaming of/ Somehow you forgot about love/ And you were just too busy being fabulous, uh-huh”

770 - “Sweets for My Sweet” by The Drifters

“’Cause I would give sweets for my sweet, sugar for my honey/ Your perfect kiss thrills me so/ Sweets for my sweet, sugar for my honey/ I’ll never ever let you go”

769 - “The Ballad of John and Yoko” by The Beatles

“Standing in the dock at Southampton/ Trying to get to Holland or France./ The man in the mac said, "You've got to turn back"./ You know they didn't even give us a chance./ Christ you know it ain't easy/ You know how hard it can be./ The way things are going/ They're going to crucify me.”

Hootie and The Blowfish covered this song for the B-side of one of their singles. I liked it, but I don’t think it made the list. I like the tempo of this song. The lyrics aren’t bad (and the music is good0.

768 - “Stand” by R.E.M.

“Stand in the place where you live/ Now face North/ Think about direction/ Wonder why you haven't before/ Now stand in the place where you work/ Now face West/ Think about the place where you live/ Wonder why you haven't before”

767 - “The Motown Song” by Rod Stewart

“Bring over some of your old Motown records/ We'll put the speakers in the window and we'll go/ On the roof and listen to the Miracles/ Echo to the alley down below”

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Staff Sergeant Herschel F. Briles (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on November 20, 1944 near Scherpenseel, Germany. His citation reads:

He was leading a platoon of destroyers across an exposed slope near Scherpenseel, Germany, on 20 November 1944, when they came under heavy enemy artillery fire. A direct hit was scored on 1 of the vehicles, killing 1 man, seriously wounding 2 others, and setting the destroyer afire. With a comrade, S/Sgt. Briles left the cover of his own armor and raced across ground raked by artillery and small-arms fire to the rescue of the men in the shattered destroyer. Without hesitation, he lowered himself into the burning turret, removed the wounded and then extinguished the fire. From a position he assumed the next morning, he observed hostile infantrymen advancing. With his machinegun, he poured such deadly fire into the enemy ranks that an entire pocket of 55 Germans surrendered, clearing the way for a junction between American units which had been held up for 2 days. Later that day, when another of his destroyers was hit by a concealed enemy tank, he again left protection to give assistance. With the help of another soldier, he evacuated two wounded under heavy fire and, returning to the burning vehicle, braved death from exploding ammunition to put out the flames. By his heroic initiative and complete disregard for personal safety, S/Sgt. Briles was largely responsible for causing heavy enemy casualties, forcing the surrender of 55 Germans, making possible the salvage of our vehicles, and saving the lives of wounded comrades.

Corporal Andrew Bringle (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on April 6, 1865 at Sailors Creek, Virginia. His citation reads:

Charged the enemy and assisted Sgt. Norton in capturing a fieldpiece and 2 prisoners.

Seaman Andrew Brinn (US Navy) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on March 14, 1863 on board the USS Mississippi. His citation reads:

Served on board the U.S.S. Mississippi during her abandonment and firing in the engagement at Port Hudson, 14 March 1863. Remaining under enemy fire for 21/2 hours, Brinn remained on board the grounded vessel until all the abandoning crew had landed. After asking to be assigned some duty, he was finally ordered to save himself and to leave the Mississippi which had been deliberately fired to prevent her falling into rebel hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment