Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Tuesday, May 24, 2011

The Countdown Continues 276 - 242

Don’t forget, Darius Rucker will honor Pattison's Academy should he win CMT Performance of the year! This is a FAN supported contest. Click here to vote for Darius and you'll be voting for Pattison's!!

We will now continue our countdown of the I’m just sayin… Top 1,081 Songs of All Time


276 - “Miss Fourth of July” by Bon Jovi

275 - “As She's Walking Away” by Zac Brown Band with Alan Jackson

274 - “Let's Get Rocked” by Def Leppard

273 - “I'm Still a Guy” by Brad Paisley

“I'll pour out my heart/ Hold your hand in the car/ Write a love song that makes you cry/ Then turn right around knock some jerk to the ground/ 'Cause he copped a feel as you walked by/ I can hear you now talking to your friends/ Saying, ‘Yeah girls he's come a long way’/ From dragging his knuckles and carrying a club/ And building a fire in a cave/ But when you say a backrub means only a backrub/ Then you swat my hand when I try/ Well, what can I say at the end of the day/ Honey, I'm still a guy”

272 - “Let It Rock” by Bon Jovi

271 - “Whiskey's Gone” by Zac Brown Band

270 - “Rocket” by Def Leppard

269 - “Hey God” by Bon Jovi

268 - “Landslide” by Fleetwood Mac

267 - “Highway 20 Ride” by Zac Brown Band

266 - “Courtesy of the Red, White and Blue” by Toby Keith

“Oh, justice will be served and the battle will rage./ This big dog will fight when you rattle his cage./ An' you'll be sorry that you messed with the U.S. of A./ 'Cos we'll put a boot in your ass, it's the American way./ Hey, Uncle Sam put your name at the top of his list,/ And the Statue of Liberty started shaking her fist./ And the eagle will fly and it's gonna be hell,/ When you hear Mother Freedom start ringing her bell./ And it'll feel like the whole wide world is raining down on you./ Ah, brought to you, courtesy of the red, white and blue.”

I remember he took some flack for this song when it came out… but I thought it was the perfect song for the time (right after 9/11). I love the music at the end of this song (lyrics above).

265 - “Magic Bus” by The Who

264 - “Prayer '94” by Bon Jovi

This song is so good that two versions of it (by the same group) made the list. Even though they changed the title for this version, this is really just a slow version of Livin’ on a Prayer. It’s a nice change of pace for a great song.

263 - “Play Something Country” by Brooks and Dunn

Mary Ruth loves singing the chorus to this song… and that makes me happy.

262 - “I Go Blind” by Hootie and the Blowfish

261 - “Always Be My Baby” by Mariah Carey

260 - “I Saw Her Standing There” by The Beatles

259 - “Don't Stop” by Fleetwood Mac

258 - “I'm Gonna Miss Her” by Brad Paisley

“But today she met me at the door/ Said I would have to choose/ If I hit that fishin' hole today/ She'd be packin' all her things and she'd/ be gone by noon/ Well I'm gonna miss her/ When I get home/ Right now I'm on this lakeshore/ And I'm sittin' in the sun/ I'm sure it'll hit me/ When I walk through that door tonight/ Ya I'm gonna miss her/ Oh, lookie there, I've got a bite”

This first Brad Paisley song I ever heard. I haven’t been able to get enough since then.

257 - “Stir It Up” by Bob Marley

256 - “It's So Hard to Say Goodbye to Yesterday” by Boyz II Men

255 - “This Is Country Music” by Brad Paisley

254 - “A Little Too Late” by Toby Keith

The video for this song is just GREAT.

253 - “These Days” by Bon Jovi

252 - “Pinball Wizard” by The Who

251 - “Wouldn't It Be Nice” by The Beach Boys

250 - “3 A.M. ” by Matchbox Twenty

249 - “Almost Home” by Hootie and the Blowfish

248 - “Dixie On My Mind” by Hank Williams, Jr.

“These people never smile or say a word,/ They're all too busy tryin' to make an extra dime,/ Oh I'd love to haul 'em all down around Spartanburg,/ And show 'em how to raise hell in Carolina.”

This is the song I listened to the few times I left The South. I found it helped get me through until I could return home.

247 - “Tiny Dancer” by Elton John

246 - “Come Back Song” by Darius Rucker

245 - “Before He Cheats” by Carrie Underwood

244 - “Something for the Pain” by Bon Jovi

243 - “Alcohol” by Brad Paisley

242 - “Some Beach” by Blake Shelton


Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Sergeant Andrew S. Bryant (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on May 23, 1863 at New Bern, North Carolina. His citation reads:

By his courage and judicious disposition of his guard of 16 men, stationed in a small earthwork at the head of the bridge, held in check and repulsed for a half hour a fierce attack of a strong force of the enemy, thus probably saving the city New Bern from capture.

Sergeant First Class William Maud Bryant (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on March 24, 1969 at Long Khanh Province, Republic of Vietnam. His citation reads:

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity in action at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty. Sfc. Bryant, assigned to Company A, distinguished himself while serving as commanding officer of Civilian Irregular Defense Group Company 321, 2d Battalion, 3d Mobile Strike Force Command, during combat operations. The battalion came under heavy fire and became surrounded by the elements of 3 enemy regiments. Sfc. Bryant displayed extraordinary heroism throughout the succeeding 34 hours of incessant attack as he moved throughout the company position heedless of the intense hostile fire while establishing and improving the defensive perimeter, directing fire during critical phases of the battle, distributing ammunition, assisting the wounded, and providing the leadership and inspirational example of courage to his men. When a helicopter drop of ammunition was made to re-supply the beleaguered force, Sfc. Bryant with complete disregard for his safety ran through the heavy enemy fire to retrieve the scattered ammunition boxes and distributed needed ammunition to his men. During a lull in the intense fighting, Sfc. Bryant led a patrol outside the perimeter to obtain information of the enemy. The patrol came under intense automatic weapons fire and was pinned down. Sfc. Bryant single-handedly repulsed 1 enemy attack on his small force and by his heroic action inspired his men to fight off other assaults. Seeing a wounded enemy soldier some distance from the patrol location, Sfc. Bryant crawled forward alone under heavy fire to retrieve the soldier for intelligence purposes. Finding that the enemy soldier had expired, Sfc. Bryant crawled back to his patrol and led his men back to the company position where he again took command of the defense. As the siege continued, Sfc. Bryant organized and led a patrol in a daring attempt to break through the enemy encirclement. The patrol had advanced some 200 meters by heavy fighting when it was pinned down by the intense automatic weapons fire from heavily fortified bunkers and Sfc. Bryant was severely wounded. Despite his wounds he rallied his men, called for helicopter gunship support, and directed heavy suppressive fire upon the enemy positions. Following the last gunship attack, Sfc. Bryant fearlessly charged an enemy automatic weapons position, overrunning it, and single-handedly destroying its 3 defenders. Inspired by his heroic example, his men renewed their attack on the entrenched enemy. While regrouping his small force for the final assault against the enemy, Sfc. Bryant fell mortally wounded by an enemy rocket. Sfc. Bryant's selfless concern for his comrades, at the cost of his life above and beyond the call of duty are in keeping with the highest traditions of the military service and reflect great credit upon himself, his unit, and the U.S. Army.

Captain Paul William Bucha (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on March 16-19, 1968 near Phuoc Vinh, Binh Duong Province, Republic of Vietnam. His citation reads:

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity in action at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty. Capt. Bucha distinguished himself while serving as commanding officer, Company D, on a reconnaissance-in-force mission against enemy forces near Phuoc Vinh, The company was inserted by helicopter into the suspected enemy stronghold to locate and destroy the enemy. During this period Capt. Bucha aggressively and courageously led his men in the destruction of enemy fortifications and base areas and eliminated scattered resistance impeding the advance of the company. On 18 March while advancing to contact, the lead elements of the company became engaged by the heavy automatic weapon, heavy machine gun, rocket propelled grenade, Claymore mine and small-arms fire of an estimated battalion-size force. Capt. Bucha, with complete disregard for his safety, moved to the threatened area to direct the defense and ordered reinforcements to the aid of the lead element. Seeing that his men were pinned down by heavy machine gun fire from a concealed bunker located some 40 meters to the front of the positions, Capt. Bucha crawled through the hail of fire to single-handedly destroy the bunker with grenades. During this heroic action Capt. Bucha received a painful shrapnel wound. Returning to the perimeter, he observed that his unit could not hold its positions and repel the human wave assaults launched by the determined enemy. Capt. Bucha ordered the withdrawal of the unit elements and covered the withdrawal to positions of a company perimeter from which he could direct fire upon the charging enemy. When 1 friendly element retrieving casualties was ambushed and cut off from the perimeter, Capt. Bucha ordered them to feign death and he directed artillery fire around them. During the night Capt. Bucha moved throughout the position, distributing ammunition, providing encouragement and insuring the integrity of the defense. He directed artillery, helicopter gunship and Air Force gunship fire on the enemy strong points and attacking forces, marking the positions with smoke grenades. Using flashlights in complete view of enemy snipers, he directed the medical evacuation of 3 air-ambulance loads of seriously wounded personnel and the helicopter supply of his company. At daybreak Capt. Bucha led a rescue party to recover the dead and wounded members of the ambushed element. During the period of intensive combat, Capt. Bucha, by his extraordinary heroism, inspirational example, outstanding leadership and professional competence, led his company in the decimation of a superior enemy force which left 156 dead on the battlefield. His bravery and gallantry at the risk of his life are in the highest traditions of the military service, Capt. Bucha has reflected great credit on himself, his unit, and the U.S. Army.

No comments:

Post a Comment