Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Saturday, May 7, 2011

The Countdown (871 - 837)

Had fun golfing today with my friends KC, David and Robert. I shot a 116… but our team shot a 65 (we played best ball… believe it or not, there were a couple of holes where I had the best ball). Thanks to Uncle Joe for inviting me to play in that tournament.

Now let’s get back to our countdown of the I’m just sayin… Top 1,081 Songs of All Time

871 - “Best Days of Your Life” by Kellie Pickler

“I heard about/ Yeah, someone told me once/ When you were out/ She went a little crazy/ Ran her mouth about me/ Ain’t jealousy funny?”

I love the lyrics in this song. Also a pretty good music video

870 - “That Smell” by Lynyrd Skynyrd

“Whiskey bottles and brand new cars/ Oak tree, you're in my way/ There's too much coke and too much smoke/ Look what's going on inside you”

This is a great Lynyrd Skynyrd song… The fact that it is ranked in the 800’s has to prove that a) There are a lot of great songs out there and/or b) This whole ranking thing was a group effort.

869 - by “Because of You” by Reba McEntire with Kelly Clarkson

“Because of you/ I find it hard to trust/ Not only me, but everyone around me/ Because of you, I am afraid”

Very good song. I like the duo of Reba and Clarkson.

868 - “Innocent” by Taylor Swift

“It's alright, just wait and see/ Your string of lights is still bright to me/ Oh, who you are is not where you've been/ You're still an innocent/ It's okay, life is a tough crowd/ 32, and still growin' up now/ Who you are is not what you did./ You're still an innocent.”

Her song for Kanye West… very good. She was nicer than I would have been.

867 - “Do You Wanna Dance” by The Beach Boys

“Do you wanna dance and hold my hand/ Tell me, baby, I’m your lover man/ Oh, baby, do you wanna dance”

This song is so good that I sing it even though I don’t want to dance with the person who might be listening to me sing.

866 - “P.S. I Love You” by The Beatles

“Treasure these few words till we’re together/ Keep all my love forever/ P.S. I love you/ You you you”

Another nice little tune by The Beatles… obviously not their best (since it’s ranked 866) but still good.

865 - “In the City” by The Eagles

“Somewhere out there on that horizon/ Out beyond the neon lights/ I know there must be somethin' better/ but there's nowhere else in sight”

A great slow song with Joe Walsh in the lead.

864 - “Martin” by Zac Brown Band

“Stronger than steel and wood./ Seen me through the bad and good./ And when I'm hanging by a string,/ Every little thing/ Is understood/ Between Martin and me.”

Another great slow song… this one by the Zac Brown Band

863 - “It's A Great Day to Be Alive” by Travis Tritt

“I got rice cooking in the microwave/ Got a three day beard I don't plan to shave/ And it's a goofy thing but I just gotta say/ Hey I'm doing alright”

A good “reminder” type song.

862 - “The Waiting” by Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers

“The waiting is the hardest part/ Every day you see one more card/ You take it on faith, you take it to the heart/ The waiting is the hardest part”

I have to agree with Tom on this one… the waiting is the hardest part.

861 - “Whiskey Girl” by Toby Keith

“She ain't into wine and roses/ Beer just makes her turn up her nose/ And, she can't stand the thought of sippin' champagne/ No Cuervo Gold Margaritas/ Just ain't enough good burn in taquilla/ She needs somethin' with a little more edge and a little more pain/ She's my little whiskey Girl/ My Ragged-on-the-edges girl/ Ah, but I like 'em rough”

I like the music in this one.

860 - “Can't Get This Stuff No More” by Van Halen

“That’s the thing about self-improvement/ Don’t get me wrong, I plan on getting’ some soon/ Outside the wire somethin’s movin’/ The barn burnt down now I can see the moon”

This is a great song that I’m sure a lot of people don’t know about. It was released on their Greatest Hits Album (or at least one of their greatest hits album). There were songs from the David Lee Roth Era and songs from the Sammy Hagar Era… and then two new songs with David Lee Roth. Those songs were great (this one, and one that was even better).

859 - “Are You Sure Hank Done It This Way” by Waylon Jennings

“It's the same old tune, fiddle and guitar/ Where do we take it from here/ Rhinestone suits and new shiny cars/ We've been the same way for years/ We need to change”

The lyrics and music… what’s not to like about this song.

858 - “Sometime's It's a Bitch” by Stevie Nicks

“Sometimes it's a bitch/ Sometimes it's a breeze/ Sometimes love's blind/ And sometimes it sees/ Sometimes it's roses/ And sometimes it's weeds/ Sometimes it's a bitch/ Sometimes it's a breeze”

Yes, Stevie… yes, it is.

857 - “The Guitar Song” by Jamey Johnson

“I’m just a guitar in the pawn shop on the corner/ And I’m waiting for someone to play me now and then/ My strings are kinda rusty and I'm a little dusty/ oh but you'd be to if you've been where I've been/ I've don’t some shows with haggard back in 1967/ Now I’m dying for someone to play me back home”

I love this song… it tells the story of a guitar (from the guitar’s point of view).

856 - “I Guess That's Why They Call It the Blues” by Elton John

“And I guess that’s why/ They call it the blues/ Time on my hands/ Could be time spent with you/ Laughing like children/ Living like lovers/ Rolling like thunder under the covers/ And I guess that’s why/ The call it the blues”

I would think about The Wife and then think about this song while working on papers late at night in the library at CSU.

855 - “Somebody” by Bryan Adams

“I need somebody/ Somebody like you/ Everybody needs somebody/ I need somebody/ Hey what about you/ Everybody needs somebody”

I liked this song a lot during my early high school years.

854 - “I'll Sleep When I'm Dead” by Bon Jovi

“Seven days of Saturday/ Is all that I need/ Got no use for Sunday/ 'Cause I don't rest in peace/ Don't need no Mondays/ Or the rest of the week/ I spend a lot of time in bed/ But baby I don't like to sleep no”

I love the lyrics in this one.

853 - “Love and Marriage” by Frank Sinatra

“Love and marriage, love and marriage/ Go together like a horse and carriage/ This I tell you brother/ You can't have one without the other”

I can’t hear this song without thinking about Married With Children

852 - “Don't Go Breaking My Heart” by Elton John

“Don't go breaking my heart/ You take the weight off me/ Honey when you knock on my door/ I gave you my key”

Here’s another Elton John song that should be ranked higher than it is… What was the staff here thinking about when they voted for these songs?

851 - “I Got Nothin'” by Darius Rucker

“It’s my third cup of coffee/ The fifth time I said I’m sorry/ The sun slowly peakin' through the glass/ Says we’ve been up all night”

I love the lyrics to this one.

850 - “In and Out of Love” by Bon Jovi

“In and out of love/ Hear what I'm sayin'/ In and out of love/ It's the way that we're playing/ In and out of love/ Too much is never enough/ She's gonna get ya.”

Another old classic from Bon Jovi.

849 - “Ticks” by Brad Paisley

“'Cause I'd like to see you out in the moonlight/ I'd like to kiss you way back in the sticks/ I'd like to walk you through a field of wildflowers/ And I'd like to check you for ticks.”

I wasn’t a big fan of this song at first, but I liked the music so much it just kind of grew on me.

848 - “Ain't Going Down ('Til the Sun Comes Up)” by Garth Brooks

“Six o'clock on Friday evening/ Momma doesn’t know she's leaving/ 'Til she hears the screen door slamming/ Rubber squealin', gears a-jamming/ Local country station just a blaring on the radio/ Pick him up at seven and they're headin' to the rodeo/ Momma's on the front porch screamin' out her warning/ Girl you better get your red head/ Back in bed before the morning”

I love the tempo of this song. The lyrics are pretty good, too.

847 - “I Wouldn't Have Missed It for the World” by Ronnie Milsap

“They say that all good things must end/ Loves comes and goes just like the wind/ You've got your dreams to follow/ But if I had the chance tomorrow/ You know I'd do it all again”

This has the feel of a 1970’s TV theme song… but it’s really a Country/Pop song from the early 1980’s.

846 - “I'm Gonna Be Somebody” by Travis Tritt

“Bobby played his guitar on the hard side of town/ Where it's hard for a poor boy to find the money/ He had dedication, he had the heart and soul/ Somehow knew he was born to play”

I love the lyrics to this one.

845 - “No Hurry” by Zac Brown Band

“You know my old car needs washing/ And the front yard needs a trim/ And the telephone keeps ringing/ And the bossman knows I know its him/ And the bills ain't gonna pay themselves/ No matter anyway/ Cause I ain't in no hurry today”

Another good “reminder” type song. This group is good at fast songs and slow songs.

844 - “Lost You Anyway” by Toby Keith

“Maybe you were right, maybe I could have changed/ Sitin' here alone tonight thinkin' 'bout a lot of things/ What's a man to say when all the questions start/ Hell, I know deep down inside my broken heart”

Sometimes you just have to realize there was nothing you could do to save the relationship.

843 - “I Can't Tell You Why” by The Eagles

“Look at us baby, up all night/ Tearing our love apart/ Aren't we the same two people who live/ through years in the dark?/ Ahh...”

Another Eagles song with Timothy B. Schmit on lead vocals.

842 - “Something” by The Beatles

“Somewhere in her smile she knows/ That I don't need no other lover/ Something in her style that shows me/ Don't want to leave her now/ You know I believe her now”

Love the music to this one… lyrics aren’t bad either.

841 - “Why” by Rascal Flatts

“Now in my mind I keep you frozen as a seventeen year old/ Roundin' third to score the winning run/ You always played with passion no matter what the game/ When you took the stage, you shined just like the sun”

The lyrics in this song are just great, and the music doesn’t get in the way.

840 - “Let It Play” by Poison

“Did you ever get up on the wrong side of bed/ With an achin' head and just fall apart?/ You're running late, the boss is bitchin'/ It's cold outside, and the car won't start”

I like how the slow start then kicks into the rest of the song.

839 - “Damn” by Matchbox Twenty

“What's the matter girl/ Don't you think I'm good enough/ This old heart's had a whole lot a breakin' down/ She's got all these reasons in her head”

Another Matchbox Twenty song that I like the lyrics to.

838 - “Amazing” by Aerosmith

“It's Amazing/ With the blink of an eye you finally see the light/ It's Amazing/ When the moment arrives that you know you'll be alright/ It's Amazing/ And I'm sayin' a prayer for the desperate hearts tonight”

Great song all the way around.

837 - “Celebrity” by Brad Paisley

“Can't wait to date a supermodel/ Can't wait to sue my Dad./ Can't wait to wreck a Ferrari/ On my way to rehab.”

A great song and an even better music video.


Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Second Lieutenant Lloyd M. Brett (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on April 1, 1880 at O’Fallons Creek, Montana. His citation reads:

Fearless exposure and dashing bravery in cutting off the Indians' pony herd, thereby greatly crippling the hostiles.

Private William J. Brewer (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on April 4, 1865 at Appomattox, Virginia. His citation reads:

Capture of engineer flag, Army of Northern Virginia.

Captain Andre W. Brewster (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on July 13, 1900 at Tientsin, China. His citation reads:

While under fire rescued 2 of his men from drowning.

No comments:

Post a Comment