Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Friday, March 4, 2011

Thoughts while thinking about previous thoughts from last week

I hope you have had a chance to follow all of this Charlie Sheen stuff. It’s been cracking me up. If you haven’t followed it, listen to some of the podcasts from the TKS from early this week (and last Friday). Great stuff.

My little buddy Lucas has been sick. I would tell you to pray that he gets better but word is he is feeling better so now I will ask you to pray thanking God for making him better. How bad was it? He had to go last Saturday to my favorite Children’s Hospital (the only one I’m just sayin... sends our children and children of our friends to) and spend a couple of nights there. “But Greg,” you ask, “weren’t you and Jeremy going to the Winthrop game last Saturday?” Yes, we were... but we ended up missing it because Lucas was so sick. Jeremy, of course, had to go with him to the hospital and I very well couldn’t go up to Rock Hill and enjoy a basketball game with Lucas sick in the hospital... so we missed it. Turns out that was ok because Winthrop lost... but that’s neither here nor there. The fact is, Lucas is feeling better. I think they had a good experience at the hospital because, like I would have done, they threw around our friend Jen’s name like it was going out of style. I’m telling you, her name is worth more than gold in that hospital. I don’t know how she got the power that she has... so I can only imagine that she got it by walking up to the biggest, baddest person there on her first day and just punched them in the face and said “The is my hospital” and after that everyone fell in line.

I will ask you to pray for my brother-in-law Brent who (sources tell I’m just sayin...) cut his finger pretty bad while cutting a chocolate bar. I have two thoughts on this... 1) Brent has been doing P90X and you’ll have to take my word (and the word of his cut finger) that it is working. 2) This wouldn’t happen if he was fat because fat people don’t cut chocolate bars... they eat the whole thing (or if using it for baking something, they use the whole thing).

As you know, there is a romantic side of me that likes to think that there is justice in this world. That in the end, good always wins. Then there is the side of me that reads this. That article is about the ruling by the US Supreme Court that says the West Baptist Cult’s protests at funeral services is covered under the First Amendment. The WBCult won 8-1... showing me that only one person on that court is able to use the common sense God gave them. I’m pretty sure this is a case of smart people out-thinking themselves. Listen, I’m all for the First Amendment. I love the freedom it grants us and I’m well aware that it also covers those I don’t agree with. I can accept that. But I cannot accept what these people are doing and I cannot accept that what they are doing is covered under free speech. I’ve been so pissed about this ruling that I waited to post something about it and I’m still pissed. I’ve got to tell you, I honestly fear this will end up leading to some bad things. I’m sure a lot of people out there were waiting... willing to give the US Supreme Court a chance to do the right thing in this case. But if the law is too blind to know right from wrong, I would not be shocked to see people take things into their own hands. Let’s be honest here, these types of “protests” wouldn’t have happened at Vito Corleone’s funeral, because after about 5 minutes there wouldn’t be any protesters. I was driving home thinking about this last night and I had a very nice moment where I thought it would be great to start a non-profit organization made up of a large group of people to follow The Cult around and set up at their protests and drown them out by singing Jesus Loves Me over and over. My next thought was much better (and cheaper) it would be to just have a large group of people meet up with The Cult at there next “protest” and... well... let’s just say, make sure there are no more protests at funerals. After a good nights sleep, I’m still 50/50 on which idea I like better. And if I were a cop, I’m not so sure I would stop anyone from going after this group. Listen, the First Amendment protects you from the government. I don’t remember any part of the First Amendment saying you have the right to say whatever you want to people and not worry about getting your ass kicked for it. The only way I’d be ok with the ruling would be if they said “We can’t stop you from doing this... but we’re not going to stop anyone else from stopping you from doing this... if you know what we mean”. I don’t want to go on and on about this... but it’s not like all speech is covered by the First Amendment anyway. The often used example is you can’t yell “Fire!” in a theatre. I think they missed a chance to do the right thing.

Winthrop Update: Winthrop lost on Tuesday to VMI. Basketball season for me is over. :(

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Boatswain’s Mate William Bond (US Navy) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on June 19, 1864 while on board the USS Kearsarge. His citation reads:

Served on board the U.S.S. Kearsarge when she destroyed the Alabama off Cherbourg, France, 19 June 1864. Carrying out his duties courageously, Bond exhibited marked coolness and good conduct and was highly recommended for his gallantry under fire by his divisional officer.

Staff Sergeant James Leroy Bondsteel (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on May 24, 1969 at An Loc Province, Republic of Vietnam. His citation reads:

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity in action at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty. S/Sgt. Bondsteel distinguished himself while serving as a platoon sergeant with Company A, near the village of Lang Sau. Company A was directed to assist a friendly unit which was endangered by intense fire from a North Vietnamese Battalion located in a heavily fortified base camp. S/Sgt. Bondsteel quickly organized the men of his platoon into effective combat teams and spearheaded the attack by destroying 4 enemy occupied bunkers. He then raced some 200 meters under heavy enemy fire to reach an adjoining platoon which had begun to falter. After rallying this unit and assisting their wounded, S/Sgt. Bondsteel returned to his own sector with critically needed munitions. Without pausing he moved to the forefront and destroyed 4 enemy occupied bunkers and a machine gun which had threatened his advancing platoon. Although painfully wounded by an enemy grenade, S/Sgt. Bondsteel refused medical attention and continued his assault by neutralizing 2 more enemy bunkers nearby. While searching one of these emplacements S/Sgt. Bondsteel narrowly escaped death when an enemy soldier detonated a grenade at close range. Shortly thereafter, he ran to the aid of a severely wounded officer and struck down an enemy soldier who was threatening the officer's life. S/Sgt. Bondsteel then continued to rally his men and led them through the entrenched enemy until his company was relieved. His exemplary leadership and great personal courage throughout the 4-hour battle ensured the success of his own and nearby units, and resulted in the saving of numerous lives of his fellow soldiers. By individual acts of bravery he destroyed 10 enemy bunkers and accounted for a large toll of the enemy, including 2 key enemy commanders. His extraordinary heroism at the risk of his life was in the highest traditions of the military service and reflect great credit on him, his unit, and the U.S. Army.

Lieutenant Henry G. Bonebrake (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on April 1, 1865 at Five Forks, Virginia. His citation reads:

As 1 of the first of Devin's Division to enter the works, he fought in a hand-to-hand struggle with a Confederate to capture his flag by superior physical strength.

No comments:

Post a Comment