Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Monday, March 21, 2011

So THAT'S what those bolts were for...

I’m going to start today with a little “FYI” for all of you dads out there. When you put bunk beds together for your children and you end up with 5 “extra” bolts… there’s a good chance those weren’t really “extras”. Luckily for me, Mary Ruth only used the ladder one night before I realized “my” mistake and sent The Wife to Lowe’s to get me some bolts so I could fix the ladder. I say “my” because really, I think the company could have gone on and bolted the ladder. In the box, it looks like it’s already put together and ready to go. So they didn’t save any space by not having the bolts already in there… and I doubt they really saved that much time by not doing it. The miracle here is that MR didn’t fall off of it and get concussion number 3.

I hate pollen. I cut the grass Saturday (just the backyard) around 2:00 and spent the rest of the day sneezing almost non-stop. I can’t wait for Daniel to get here so he can start cutting grass.

By the way, we at I’m just sayin… would like to send a big “Thank you” to Mom for coming up two days in a row last week to help The Wife clean the house. Honestly, that’s two more days than I would spend cleaning something that very soon will have 3 children and 2 dogs living in it… but I appreciate the effort.

So, did you see that the Secret Service tape from when Ronald Reagan was shot has been released? There’s also a new book out (Rawhide Down: The Near Assassination of Ronald Reagan) on the subject. Yes, I have it. It’s next on my list of books to read. While I am old enough to remember the Reagan presidency, I am too young to remember this assassination attempt. At the end of this article we see that “Hinckley was found not guilty by reason of insanity and has been confined at a psychiatric hospital, granted increasing time outside in recent years”. I’m sorry… what? Count me in the group that isn’t real fond of “not guilty by reason of insanity”. Just because he’s crazy doesn’t mean he wasn’t shooting real bullets. It’s not like the guys who got shot were “ok” once it was decided the gunman was crazy… “Oh, he’s insane? Well then, I feel just great! Wow, I went from feeling like I was shot to feeling like I was just pinched a little”. I say lock him up in a tiny room and let him stay there for the rest of his life.

Great news for all of my Jewish readers out there… it looks like Pope Benedict XVI has decided Jews as a whole are not to blame for Jesus’ death. I’m a couple of weeks late announcing this, but I figured you’ve waited this long… a couple of more weeks wouldn’t matter that much. I, for one, didn’t realize this was still an issue. Part of me wishes there could have been some kind of modern day trial. I’d like to know what the law is regarding death followed 3 days later by resurrection. You have to think the defense would include at least a few hymns like: Because He Lives, Christ Arose, Christ the Lord is Risen Today, Christ Is Risen and, of course, Christ is Alive. I’m just sayin…

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Captain Hugh P. Boon (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions during the Civil War. His citation reads:

Capture of flag.

Lieutenant Joel Thompson Boone (US Navy) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on July 19, 1918 in Vicinity Vierzy, France. His citation reads:

For extraordinary heroism, conspicuous gallantry, and intrepidity while serving with the 6th Regiment, U.S. Marines, in actual conflict with the enemy. With absolute disregard for personal safety, ever conscious and mindful of the suffering fallen, Surg. Boone, leaving the shelter of a ravine, went forward onto the open field where there was no protection and despite the extreme enemy fire of all calibers, through a heavy mist of gas, applied dressings and first aid to wounded marines. This occurred southeast of Vierzy, near the cemetery, and on the road south from that town. When the dressings and supplies had been exhausted, he went through a heavy barrage of large-caliber shells, both high explosive and gas, to replenish these supplies, returning quickly with a sidecar load, and administered them in saving the lives of the wounded. A second trip, under the same conditions and for the same purpose, was made by Surg. Boone later that day.

Private Nicholas Boquet (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on August 10, 1861 at Wilsons Creek, Missouri. His citation reads:

Voluntarily left the line of battle, and, exposing himself to imminent danger from a heavy fire of the enemy, assisted in capturing a riderless horse at large between the lines and hitching him to a disabled gun, saved the gun from capture.

No comments:

Post a Comment