Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Saturday, February 12, 2011

Happy Birthday Rebecca!!!!!

We at I’m just sayin… would like to wish Rebecca (Mary Ruth and Susie’s Godmother) a very happy Birthday. My gift to her today is to get Jeremy out of her hair so she can spend a nice relaxing day with my little buddy Lucas.

The Wife and I went to see The Kings Speech last night. This movie gets the coveted I’m just sayin… recommendation. I loved it. Like all great movies (and by that I’m mainly thinking about The Godfather) the hero is the little brother. I find movies like this to be the most realistic. :) I wanted to see this movie because King George VI’s situation has been mentioned in various book s I’ve read but none of them ever went in depth about what he had to overcome. I won’t say anymore about the movie in case you haven’t seen it yet, except to say it’s nice to see a few of the people from the Harry Potter movies were able find work away from the world of magic.

Oh… I’ll also say this might be the last movie we see in a movie theatre (except, of course, for the 2nd part of the last Harry Potter movie). It cost $20 for both of us last night just to get into the place. Another $20 for drinks, popcorn, candy… and whatever The Wife paid our babysitter (which I’m sure was a good amount… my rule of thumb is if I’m going to overpay someone, it’s going to be the person taking care of our children).

And for any of you scoring at home, my hearing is still off in my right ear.

Winthrop Eagles Update: The Eagles beat CSU Thursday night to move into 3rd place in the Big South. Winthrop hosts the Evil Empire known as Coastal Carolina tonight at 7:00. Go Eagles!!!!!

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

First Lieutenant Orville Emil Bloch (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on September 22, 1944 near Firenzuola, Italy. His citation reads:

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at risk of life above and beyond the call of duty. 1st Lt. Bloch undertook the task of wiping out 5 enemy machinegun nests that had held up the advance in that particular sector for 1 day. Gathering 3 volunteers from his platoon, the patrol snaked their way to a big rock, behind which a group of 3 buildings and 5 machinegun nests were located. Leaving the 3 men behind the rock, he attacked the first machinegun nest alone charging into furious automatic fire, kicking over the machinegun, and capturing the machinegun crew of 5. Pulling the pin from a grenade, he held it ready in his hand and dashed into the face of withering automatic fire toward this second enemy machinegun nest located at the corner of an adjacent building 15 yards distant. When within 20 feet of the machinegun he hurled the grenade, wounding the machinegunner, the other 2 members of the crew fleeing into a door of the house. Calling one of his volunteer group to accompany him, they advanced to the opposite end of the house, there contacting a machinegun crew of 5 running toward this house. 1st Lt Bloch and his men opened fire on the enemy crew, forcing them to abandon this machinegun and ammunition and flee into the same house. Without a moment's hesitation, 1st Lt. Bloch, unassisted, rushed through the door into a hail of small-arms fire, firing his carbine from the hip, and captured the 7 occupants, wounding 3 of them. 1st Lt. Bloch with his men then proceeded to a third house where they discovered an abandoned enemy machinegun and detected another enemy machinegun nest at the next corner of the building. The crew of 6 spotted 1st Lt. Bloch the instant he saw them. Without a moment's hesitation he dashed toward them. The enemy fired pistols wildly in his direction and vanished through a door of the house, 1st Lt. Bloch following them through the door, firing his carbine from the hip, wounding 2 of the enemy and capturing 6. Altogether 1st Lt. Bloch had single-handedly captured 19 prisoners, wounding 6 of them and eliminating a total of 5 enemy machinegun nests. His gallant and heroic actions saved his company many casualties and permitted them to continue the attack with new inspiration and vigor.

First Lieutenant Welis H. Blodgett (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on September 30, 1862 at Newtonia, Missouri. His citation reads:

With a single orderly, captured an armed picket of 8 men and marched them in prisoners.

Corporal Charles Blucher (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on September 29, 1864 at Fort Harrison. His citation reads:

Planted first national colors on the fortifications.

No comments:

Post a Comment