Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Happy Birthday Terry! Memories of Lucy, Part III

Happy Birthday Terry!!! All of us at I’m just sayin... hope you have a great day. While we realize Sonny considers everyday to be “just another day on the calendar”, we’re sure he has a special place in his heart for this day... the day you move a year ahead of him in the age category.

We return now to our memories of Lucy...

I almost forgot to share this with you about Lucy and Maverick. I’m convinced Lucy was allergic to Maverick. Maybe it wasn’t just him, maybe it was all dogs... but she didn’t have any allergy problems until we brought Maverick home. The Wife said Lucy was allergic to grass, which would make sense if we didn’t have grass before her allergy problems started... but we did. The only difference between Lucy pre-allergy and Lucy post-allergy is Maverick.

It’s funny... there were some who thought we were crazy for bringing a “dangerous” pit bull into our house. When The Wife was pregnant with Mary Ruth, we were asked if we planned on keeping Lucy. Of course we did. Truth be told (and it almost always is told at least once a post on this blog) Lucy was the best dog with our children. Especially with Mary Ruth. When MR was just a little baby, we had a game we liked to play. And by we, I mean me and Lucy (and, for the most part, Mary Ruth). Whenever Mary Ruth was crying and I was holding her, I would hold her upside down (or lay her on my lap with her head hanging over my knees) and yell “Lucy! Kisses, stat!” (“stat!” is a medical term I’ve picked up working in the medical field... and watching hospital type shows on TV). It didn’t matter where Lucy was, she would get up and come over and start kissing Mary Ruth. Just like that, her crying would turn to laughter and all would be well.

I remember when we first brought Mary Ruth home. I took the dogs into the “office” and gave them bones while The Wife took Mary Ruth into the nursery to rock her. Mary Ruth let out a little cry. Nothing bad... nothing real loud... just a little cry. Maverick paid no attention. Lucy dropped her bone and went to the door and waited.

The first time we put MR into her pack-in-play, Lucy sat there and wouldn’t budge.

Honestly, I’ve joked about this before but it’s not all a lie... there were times early on when The Wife would leave me alone with MR and Lucy would pay more attention to her than I would.

Lucy would let MR crawl all over her and play “dress up” with her. Whenever she was ready to stop, she’d lick MR in the face and then make a run for it.

Some nights, she would sleep in bed with Mary Ruth. Some nights she would start there, and then get up in the middle of the night and come in our room.

She also loved Susie, but Susie didn’t like kisses as much as Mary Ruth... that was hard for Lucy to get used to.

A few weeks ago, Susie was sitting in The Wife’s lap eating pretzel sticks (one in each hand). She took a bite from the one in her left hand and then held it up for The Wife to take a bite. Next, she took a bite from the one in her right hand... and then held it down low for Lucy to take a bite. I was sure Lucy was going to take a big bite and eat the rest of that pretzel... but she didn’t. She nibbled the end of the stick, and then Susie brought it back up and took a bite from it (this didn’t bother The Wife the way it would have when MR was a baby... the way things are going, she’ll probably let Daniel eat dog food). Anyway, this little game went on for a few minutes until she didn’t have any pretzels in her hands.

I told you about the love/hate relationship Lucy and Maverick had. Well, it was nothing compared to the love/hate relationship Lucy and The Wife had. Don’t get me wrong, they loved each other... but they also seemed to fight a lot. For example:

I could walk down the hall and Lucy could walk by me without touching me. If The Wife was walking down the hall, Lucy would clip her on her way by. I think she actually took The Wife to the floor one time. It was pretty serious... I almost wet myself I was laughing so hard. I seem to remember I got in more trouble for laughing than Lucy did for clipping.

The Wife would get mad because Lucy wouldn’t come in when she called her. The Wife would stand at the back door and call Lucy over and over and over and Lucy would just sit with her back to the door (sometimes looking over her shoulder so The Wife would know that, yes, she could hear... she just wasn’t going to listen). I would go to the door and before I could get her name out, Lucy would be running inside. To make things even funnier, there were times she wouldn’t listen to The Wife, but would come running in if Mary Ruth called her.

Lucy had a toy rope that she loved to play with. The Wife took it away because Lucy kept hitting her with it (to be fair to Lucy, she only did this because The Wife didn’t want to play with her).

Lucy had a favorite cushion on our old sofa that she liked to lay on. The Wife didn’t like her laying on that one cushion all of the time, so she kept switching it with the other cushions. It didn’t matter... where ever she put that cushion is where Lucy would lay down.

I think Lucy would bark some nights just to make The Wife mad.

When the dogs were out of water, Lucy would hit the water bowl with her foot. If you didn’t get up right away, she’d stomp on it (causing it to bang and clang around) and then look at you. The Wife HATED that. I thought it was funny.

But it wasn’t all bad. They did like to lie on the sofa or on the bed together. Even though The Wife doesn’t really like getting kisses from dogs, Lucy was usually able to sneak in one or two.

Maverick when MR came home...
Lucy:  "Did I just hear a baby crying?"
MR and Lucy playing
Ah... life with a newborn Mary Ruth
Someone had to watch Mary Ruth... we decided Lucy would
MR got a Princess chair for her birthday... Lucy thought it was for her
Two friends just watching TV
MR putting a necklace on Lucy
MR hugging Lucy
Time to play "dress up" again!

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Ordinary Seaman Ernest H. Bjorkman (US Navy) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on January 21, 1903 while on board the USS Leyden. His citation reads:

On board the U.S.S. Leyden, 21 January 1903, Bjorkman displayed heroism at the time of the wreck of that vessel.

Lieutenant Colonel John C. Black (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on December 7, 1862 at Prairie Grove, Arkansas. His citation reads:

Gallantly charged the position of the enemy at the head of his regiment, after 2 other regiments had been repulsed and driven down the hill, and captured a battery; was severely wounded.

Captain William P. Black (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on March 7, 1862 at Pea Ridge, Arkansas. His citation reads:

Single-handedly confronted the enemy, firing a rifle at them and thus checking their advance within 100 yards of the lines.

No comments:

Post a Comment