Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Elite 8

What is more impressive... Cal Ripken’s consecutive game streak or Brett Favre’s consecutive game streak? Let me start by saying both are impressive (I’m not just saying that... they really are). Having said that, I’ve got to go with Cal’s streak. I know football is a big bad sport with a lot of hitting, but here’s a little secret: playing as a middle infielder in baseball ain’t like playing golf. Baseball in general isn’t as “non-contact” as most people think. Trust me, I’ve been KO’d in a game and hit by a lot of pitches (fyi, they aren’t throwing marshmallows... they’re throwing a hard ball and it don’t tickle when it hits you). Then you’ve got guys coming into second base with their cleats up trying to break-up a double play. More importantly, Cal didn’t get a week off between games to heal. He had to get up each day and play. Again, I’m not taking anything away from Favre’s streak... but Cal’s is more impressive.

The I’m just sayin... Top 10 Christmas Songs

10. Christmas In Dixie
9. Santa Claus Is Coming to Town
8. Santa Baby
7. Grandma Got Run Over By a Reindeer
6. Run Run Rudolph
5. Silent Night
4. Go Tell it on the Mountain
3. The Chipmunk Song (Christmas Don’t Be Late)
2. Feliz Navidad
1. Joy To The World

(Honorable Mention: The Little Drummer Boy)

Baby #3 Name Tournament: The Elite Eight! We’re getting close to the end now. Tomorrow we will have the Final Four and then Thursday or Friday we will see what name we are giving to Baby #3. Let’s see what names are going to advance to the Final Four:

REGION I

1 Gregory Winfield Horres, Jr.
2 Anthony Winfield Horres
In a somewhat shocking upset, the overall #1 seed falls before the Final Four. Believe it or not, this was mainly my call. For obvious reasons, I love this name. Interestingly enough, we at I’m just sayin… have heard rumors that this name is the “favorite name of all-time” for my Mom and Dad. I admit we haven’t called to confirm these rumors because we feel some things should just be accepted as truth. Of course, I think we all know that Gregory is Latin for “Great” while Winfield is Latin for “Gift to Women” (I can’t remember where I saw that about Gregory, but I’m pretty sure my Dad translated Winfield for me) The cool thing about this name is I would get to add Sr. to the end of my name. One thing we couldn’t really decide on is what we would call him. The options were Greg Jr., Gregory, Greggie, Little Greg, Lil’ Greg, Lil’ G, GW, Win, and Junior. I figured I’d go with Junior. Then I realized that I couldn’t say that without saying it like Sean Connery in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. The Wife couldn’t really decide what she would call him. So, we decided we should probably steer clear of this one.

REGION II
1 David Gregory Horres
6 Donald Winfield Horres
This name was in honor of my favorite Disney character (Donald Duck) and my friend and former James Island/Citadel/Charleston minor league baseball player Donald Morillo. The Wife didn’t hate the name… but she said we weren’t naming our son after a duck.

REGION III

1 Daniel Winfield Horres
2 Jackson Winfield Horres
Jackson is a name we thought about for a long time. Not sure why The Wife liked it, but I obviously liked it because of Stonewall Jackson. In the end, Mary Ruth having a “boyfriend” named Jackson kind of turned us off to the name. This name and Jacob were the only names she would talk about. Over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over… so we crossed it off the list.

REGION IV

1 David Winfield Horres
2 James Winfield Horres
It would seem the statistical analysis being done in Huger isn’t accurate. We did like this name… but I crossed it off the list. Why? Because of Dave Winfield, the baseball player. I was just never a fan of his. I don’t know him… he could very well be a swell guy. But for some reason I just never really liked him. So, I couldn’t name him this name. It wasn’t so much the first name (which I like) or the middle name (which I like)… it was the combo that got this name crossed off the list.

Winthrop Update: The Eagles are off for the rest of the week.

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Corporal Edward A. Bennett (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions in February 1945 at Heckhuscheid, Germany. His citation reads:

He was advancing with Company B across open ground to assault Heckhuscheid, Germany, just after dark when vicious enemy machinegun fire from a house on the outskirts of the town pinned down the group and caused several casualties. He began crawling to the edge of the field in an effort to flank the house, persisting in this maneuver even when the hostile machine gunners located him by the light of burning buildings and attempted to cut him down as he made for the protection of some trees. Reaching safety, he stealthily made his way by a circuitous route to the rear of the building occupied by the German gunners. With his trench knife he killed a sentry on guard there and then charged into the darkened house. In a furious hand-to-hand struggle he stormed about a single room which harbored 7 Germans. Three he killed with rifle fire, another he clubbed to death with the butt of his gun, and the 3 others he dispatched with his .45 caliber pistol. The fearless initiative, stalwart combat ability, and outstanding gallantry of Cpl. Bennett eliminated the enemy fire which was decimating his company's ranks and made it possible for the Americans to sweep all resistance from the town.

Private First Class Emory L. Bennett (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on June 24, 1951 near Sobangsan, Korea. His citation reads:

Pfc. Bennett a member of Company B, distinguished himself by conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty in action against an armed enemy of the United Nations. At approximately 0200 hours, 2 enemy battalions swarmed up the ridge line in a ferocious banzai charge in an attempt to dislodge Pfc. Bennett's company from its defensive positions. Meeting the challenge, the gallant defenders delivered destructive retaliation, but the enemy pressed the assault with fanatical determination and the integrity of the perimeter was imperiled. Fully aware of the odds against him, Pfc. Bennett unhesitatingly left his foxhole, moved through withering fire, stood within full view of the enemy, and, employing his automatic rifle, poured crippling fire into the ranks of the onrushing assailants, inflicting numerous casualties. Although wounded, Pfc. Bennett gallantly maintained his l-man defense and the attack was momentarily halted. During this lull in battle, the company regrouped for counterattack, but the numerically superior foe soon infiltrated into the position. Upon orders to move back, Pfc. Bennett voluntarily remained to provide covering fire for the withdrawing elements, and, defying the enemy, continued to sweep the charging foe with devastating fire until mortally wounded. His willing self-sacrifice and intrepid actions saved the position from being overrun and enabled the company to effect an orderly withdrawal. Pfc. Bennett's unflinching courage and consummate devotion to duty reflect lasting glory on himself and the military service.

Machinist Floyd Bennett (US Navy) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on (Date Unknown) on a trip to the North Pole. His citation reads:

For distinguishing himself conspicuously by courage and intrepidity at the risk of his life as a member of the Byrd Arctic Expedition and thus contributing largely to the success of the first heavier-than-air flight to the North Pole and return.

1 comment:

  1. Noticed Anthony is still in the running - do we perhaps have a little DiNozzo on the way? Loved NCIS last night by the way.

    ReplyDelete