Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Wednesday, November 17, 2010

I’m feeling a little better, thank you

Before I begin, let me welcome all of my Chinese readers to the blog. An alert I’m just saying... reader (Dad) emailed me this link to let me know that there is a good chance the Chinese are now reading my blog. Ok, he sent it to me to let me know that a cousin of mine was interviewed in it. If you click on the link and then actually read the article, my cousin is the guy with the last name “Smoak”. His grandfather is a Smoak, as was my grandmother until she became a “Horres” (which, as luck would have it, happened the same time she married my grandfather who had the last name “Horres”). Anyway, it seems the Chinese were able to catch a “ton” of data off the internet and blah blah blah... I didn’t read the whole thing. I just skimmed it to find my cousin’s name and to see if perhaps my name was thrown in there somewhere (it wasn’t). But it did get me to thinking that if we’re talking about a ton of data, then there has to be a good chance that an I’m just sayin... blog post or at least talk about a blog post from here was intercepted. So, let me again welcome all of my new Chinese readers. I hate to disappoint you, but I’m sure The Wife (as well as my family and possibly some/all of my friends) will tell you that you won’t find any useful intelligence on here. You probably won’t even find any un-useful (non-useful?... useless, perhaps?) intelligence on here. This is what I like to call an intelligence free zone. While I’m talking to my new Chinese friends, let me also recommend that you do NOT read Breakout... let’s just say it doesn’t always paint you in the best of lights. Then again, it also doesn’t always paint the US Army in the best of lights either (it was written by a Marine). Bottom line, you might want to pass on that one.

Well, as you can tell from the title, I’ve been sick (or recovering from being sick) since Saturday night (exactly when I walked through the door after having a great day in Rock Hill with Jeremy). It was bad. I was so sick I think I pulled a muscle. But enough of that... I’m starting to feel better and that’s what matters (to me).

Congrats to Danny, Ashley, Cory and all my other friends who are fans of the Revolutionary War Heroes (if there are any... it could very well just be the three of them) on their football team winning the SEC East (as I said they would... read below). With Auburn winning the SEC West, this pretty much guarantees the Revolutionary War Heroes the SEC Title (they can either win it on the field or off the field when the NCAA declares Cam Newton ineligible and makes Auburn vacate all of their wins from this season). Either way, make sure you're with Danny and Cory for the SEC Championship game because they'll be so drun... er, happy... they'll probably pay for your drinks.

Hey sports fans... not sure if you saw this yesterday (since, for some unknown reason to me, the story wasn’t picked up by the Post and Courier, ESPN, SI, or any local news station), local basketball legend Kevin Carter has decided to officially retire from playing competitive basketball after a 34 year run. According to our sources, KC walks (limps?) away holding the Bethany UMC Gym record for most consecutive years playing, most games played, most minutes played, and most fouls (called and uncalled). His amazing run lasted from 1975 to 2008. I don’t think I need to point out to you that he was well into his career by the time your favorite blogger was born. Anyway, after consulting the staff of I’m just sayin... I am ready to announce that the court in the Bethany UMC Gym will now and forever be called the Kevin Carter Court. I have also decided that his Bethany Red number 24 jersey should hang from the rafters. I ALSO think a nice picture of me and KC should be put on a wall in the gym.

The Winthrop Eagles Update The good news is The Eagles won this past Saturday. The bad news is they lost Monday and Tuesday. So right now they are sitting at 1-2. But the other good news is there are still a lot of games left to play (and they are getting Robbie back from suspension).

The I’m just sayin... Football Predictions Results

Friday Night
James Island at Northwestern – I picked JI. I was wrong. JI lost 14-45.

Summerville vs. Blythewood – I picked Summerville and I was right! Summerville won 41-31.

Ashley Ridge at Lugoff-Elgin – I picked Lugoff-Elgin... I was wrong. Ashley Ridge won 28-24.

Fort Dorchester at Stratford – I picked Fort Dorchester and I was right! Fort Dorchester won 31-17.

Dorman vs. White Knoll – I picked Dorman and I was right! The “Cavs” won 31-0.

Saturday
#22 USC at #24 Florida – I picked USC and I was right. The Revolutionary War Heroes won 36-14.

Clemson at FSU – I picked FSU and I was right. Clemson lost 13-16.

Navy vs. Central Michigan – I picked Navy and I was right. Navy won 38-37.

CSU vs. Presbyterian College – I picked CSU and I was right. CSU won 42-39.

Sunday
Pittsburgh vs. New England – I picked the Steelers and I was wrong. Pittsburgh lost 26-39.

Miami vs. Tennessee – I picked Miami and I was wrong. The Dolphins lost 10-26. UPDATE:  OOPS!  It seems I was looking at the Miami score from the wrong week.  I actually got this one right.  Miami won 29-17.  Thank you to Sonny for catching this mistake. 

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

First Lieutenant Matthew A. Batson (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on July 26, 1899 at Calamba, Luzon, Philippine Islands. His citation reads:

Swam the San Juan River in the face of the enemy's fire and drove him from his entrenchments.

Lieutenant Colonel Harold William Bauer (US Marine Corps) received his Medal of Honor for his actions from May 10 – November 14, 1942 in the South Pacific Area. His citation reads:

For extraordinary heroism and conspicuous courage as Squadron Commander of Marine Fighting Squadron 212 in the South Pacific Area during the period 10 May to 14 November 1942. Volunteering to pilot a fighter plane in defense of our positions on Guadalcanal, Lt. Col. Bauer participated in 2 air battles against enemy bombers and fighters outnumbering our force more than 2 to 1, boldly engaged the enemy and destroyed 1 Japanese bomber in the engagement of 28 September and shot down 4 enemy fighter planes in flames on 3 October, leaving a fifth smoking badly. After successfully leading 26 planes on an over-water ferry flight of more than 600 miles on 16 October, Lt. Col. Bauer, while circling to land, sighted a squadron of enemy planes attacking the U.S.S. McFarland. Undaunted by the formidable opposition and with valor above and beyond the call of duty, he engaged the entire squadron and, although alone and his fuel supply nearly exhausted, fought his plane so brilliantly that 4 of the Japanese planes were destroyed before he was forced down by lack of fuel. His intrepid fighting spirit and distinctive ability as a leader and an airman, exemplified in his splendid record of combat achievement, were vital factors in the successful operations in the South Pacific Area.

Private First Class William B. Baugh (US Marine Corps) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on November 29, 1950 along a road from Koto-ri to Hagaru-ri, Korea. His citation reads:

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty while serving as a member of an antitank assault squad attached to Company G, during a nighttime enemy attack against a motorized column. Acting instantly when a hostile hand grenade landed in his truck as he and his squad prepared to alight and assist in the repulse of an enemy force delivering intense automatic-weapons and grenade fire from deeply entrenched and well-concealed roadside positions, Pfc. Baugh quickly shouted a warning to the other men in the vehicle and, unmindful of his personal safety, hurled himself upon the deadly missile, thereby saving his comrades from serious injury or possible death. Sustaining severe wounds from which he died a short time afterward, Pfc. Baugh, by his superb courage and valiant spirit of self-sacrifice, upheld the highest traditions of the U.S. Naval Service. He gallantly gave his life for his country.

1 comment:

  1. It's a good thing you're picking up Chinese readership, b/c you just lost your Auburn readership - not cool.

    ReplyDelete