Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Saturday, November 27, 2010

HAPPY BIRTHDAY ALLISON!!! and Clemson/USC Trivia

Let me start by wishing my niece Allison a happy birthday. May all her wishes today come true. And if they all can’t come true, may the wish that Clemson beats Carolina today come true. I can remember when she was just a little baby and I would drive from Rock Hill to go visit her. Interesting fact... there are about 134 different ways to get from my old dorm at Winthrop to the house Sonny’s family was living in back then (I know, because I drove them all... remember, this was before GPS).

Today is the big day in South Carolina... the day of the Clemson/USC (or USC/Clemson) game. Others complain from time to time that this game doesn’t get the national “respect” that it should. I say, “Who cares?” I don’t care if some yankee in Ohio doesn’t care about this game. I don’t care if others prefer Florida/Florida State or Auburn/Alabama. Good for them. Me... I like this game. I won’t get to watch it live (because Winthrop Basketball comes first in my heart), but I will follow it. If things go well, I will watch the DVD of the game on Sunday. Here are some interesting tidbits from the gameday notes provided by each team to the media.

*This is the 108th meeting between the two schools (102nd consecutive meeting)... 3rd longest in history (keep it clean, Ross).

*Clemson leads the series 65-38-4

*Clemson’s overall record is 647-442-45

*USC’s overall record is 538-536-44

*The Revolutionary War Heroes have a 1,000 yard rusher (Lattimore) and a 1,000 yard receiver (Jeffery) in the same season.

*This is the 10th time in school history that USC has won at least 8 games.

*This is the first time in school history that the Revolutionary War Heroes have won the SEC East.

*The last time USC won back to back games in this series is when they won 3 in a row back in 1968, 1969, and 1970.

*Clemson holds a 16-8-1 edge in games played at Clemson.

*Three of the last five meetings have been decided by five points or less.

*The visiting team won seven years in a row between 1991-1997.

*The home team has won the last two by exactly 17.

*Clemson classes who have beaten USC four consecutive years were the seniors of 1900, 1919, 1930, 1937, 1938, 1939, 1940, 1983, 1991, 2000, and 2005.

*Clemson QB Charlie Whitehurst became the only QB for either team in the series to start four victories.

*USC classes who have beaten Clemson four consecutive years were the seniors of 1954. That’s it. That’s the list.

*The USC senior classes of 1952 and 1953 also never lost to Clemson (they went 3-0-1).

*Clemson has won each of the last 6 night games in the series (1997, 1998, 2002, 2003, 2005 and 2007).

*The last senior class at USC to have a winning record against Clemson was the class of 1987 (2-1-1).

*Neither team has ever been shutout in Death Valley.

*The good news for USC fans is their team is 3-2 against ranked teams this season.

*The bad news is Clemson isn’t ranked.

The I’m just sayin... Clemson/USC (or USC/Clemson) 2010 Prediction

#18 USC at Clemson 7:00pm (ESPN2) – All signs point to the Revolutionary War Heroes winning this one. Some signs even point to them winning it big (revenge for 63-17, perhaps). Clemson hasn’t done much to impress me this season while USC has. Having said that, I just can’t do it. I can’t pick USC to win. Maybe if they hadn’t won last season, I’d pick them to win this season. But they did win last season. So for them to win this season would be for them to do something that hasn’t been done in Sonny’s lifetime. I know that’s not a good reason to pick a team... but it’s what I’ve got. I also think highly of the Clemson defense. Of course, I don’t think you can take the USC offence lightly. Bottom line, I’m picking Clemson to win this game by 1. If the Revolutionary War Heroes make history and win, then I will tip my cap and congratulate them.

I would ask all of my friends who are going to the game to remember that, contrary to what you may believe, it is just a game. Have fun, talk trash, say things in a parking lot that you’d never say in a church... but remember it’s just a game. No need to run over someone because they cheer for the other team. No need to get in a fight over a football game. Don’t kill someone because they have a Tiger paw on their face or a symbol of a Revolutionary War Hero on their shirt. Because at the end of the day, that’s just stupid.

But really, we at I’m just sayin... see no reason why people shouldn’t talk trash. And remember our rule, if you go to a game at the rival’s home... be prepared for anything. People aren’t always “nice” to fans of their rival.

Baby #3 Name Update: The name Edward was added to the list of names The Wife said no to. (Sorry Ross). :(

Winthrop Update: The Eagles play Lander at 7:00pm tonight. I will be there cheering on Winthrop (with, I’m guessing, about 100 other people... everyone else will probably be watching football).

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Seaman First Class Heinrich Behnke (US Navy) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on January 25, 1905 on board the USS Iowa. His citation reads:

While serving aboard the U.S.S. Iowa, Behnke displayed extraordinary heroism at the time of the blowing out of the manhole plate of boiler D on board that vessel, 25 January 1905.

Sergeant Gary B. Beikirch (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on April 1, 1970 at Kontum Province, Republic of Vietnam. His citation reads:

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity in action at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty. Sgt. Beikirch, medical aidman, Detachment B-24, Company B, distinguished himself during the defense of Camp Dak Seang. The allied defenders suffered a number of casualties as a result of an intense, devastating attack launched by the enemy from well-concealed positions surrounding the camp. Sgt. Beikirch, with complete disregard for his personal safety, moved unhesitatingly through the withering enemy fire to his fallen comrades, applied first aid to their wounds and assisted them to the medical aid station. When informed that a seriously injured American officer was lying in an exposed position, Sgt. Beikirch ran immediately through the hail of fire. Although he was wounded seriously by fragments from an exploding enemy mortar shell, Sgt. Beikirch carried the officer to a medical aid station. Ignoring his own serious injuries, Sgt. Beikirch left the relative safety of the medical bunker to search for and evacuate other men who had been injured. He was again wounded as he dragged a critically injured Vietnamese soldier to the medical bunker while simultaneously applying mouth-to-mouth resuscitation to sustain his life. Sgt. Beikirch again refused treatment and continued his search for other casualties until he collapsed. Only then did he permit himself to be treated. Sgt. Beikirch's complete devotion to the welfare of his comrades, at the risk of his life are in keeping with the highest traditions of the military service and reflect great credit on him, his unit, and the U.S. Army.

Sergeant Ted Belcher (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on November 19, 1966 at Plei Djerang, Republic of Vietnam. His citation reads:

Distinguishing himself by conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life. Sgt. Belcher's unit was engaged in a search and destroy mission with Company B, 1st Battalion, 14th Infantry, the Battalion Reconnaissance Platoon and a special forces company of civilian irregular defense group personnel. As a squad leader of the 2d Platoon of Company C, Sgt. Belcher was leading his men when they encountered a bunker complex. The reconnaissance platoon, located a few hundred meters northwest of Company C, received a heavy volume of fire from well camouflaged snipers. As the 2d Platoon moved forward to assist the unit under attack, Sgt. Belcher and his squad, advancing only a short distance through the dense jungle terrain, met heavy and accurate automatic weapons and sniper fire. Sgt. Belcher and his squad were momentarily stopped by the deadly volume of enemy fire. He quickly gave the order to return fire and resume the advance toward the enemy. As he moved up with his men, a hand grenade landed in the midst of the sergeant's squad. Instantly realizing the immediate danger to his men, Sgt. Belcher, unhesitatingly and with complete disregard for his safety, lunged forward, covering the grenade with his body. Absorbing the grenade blast at the cost of his life, he saved his comrades from becoming casualties. Sgt. Belcher's profound concern for his fellow soldiers, at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty are in keeping with the highest traditions of the U.S. Army and reflect credit upon himself and the Armed Forces of his country.

No comments:

Post a Comment