Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Rerun

The following is something I posted last year on World Alzheimer’s Day. I was going to post it again this year, but forgot (insert your Alzheimer’s joke here). Anyway, the Memory Walk is coming up in a couple of weeks so I thought now would be a good time to re-post this. If you just want to donate without reading, go here: http://memorywalk2010.kintera.org/charleston/greghorres

*****
Memories, good and bad, are great. They make us who we are. I think it's funny sometimes the things we remember. I remember it poured down rain the day I got married. I remember The Wife and I spent 90% of the next day flying... and in bed... sleeping, because we spent the night before (after the reception) driving from Charleston to Atlanta and then had to get up at 4am to go to the airport for flight #1.

I can’t remember what The Wife’s favorite color is to save my life... but without much thought I can tell you that in 1987 with Georgia beating Clemson 20-16, the Clemson defense was able to come up with a huge safety. Clemson was then able to drive the ball down the field and with time running out (Clemson was out of timeouts) David Treadwell went out and kicked the game winning FG.

I can’t tell you what songs were played at our wedding, but I can hear with perfect clarity the chants of “Rodney! Rodney! Rodney!” that came from a packed Death Valley as Clemson QB Rodney Williams was pulled from the game after leading Clemson to a victory against USC in his final home game.

There are classes that I took in high school and college that I have no memory of, but I can tell you where I was when I saw the Winthrop Eagles beat Notre Dame in the first round of the 2007 NCAA Men’s Basketball Tournament.

I can’t remember what my boss told me to do an hour after she says it... but I remember everything Coach Hatley told me to do when I played baseball for him in high school.

I could go on and on and on... but you get the point. Memories are great. Sure, every now and then there might be a bad one... but good memories can get you through hard times. So how much would life suck if we didn’t have memories? How sad would that be? What if you were a Clemson fan and didn’t have the happy memories of 63-17 or of 1981? What if you were a USC fan and didn’t have the happy memories of... well, you get my point.

Think how hard it would be if you had to take care of someone who had lost their memories. Some days maybe they know you, most days they don’t. They forget how to do simple things that we take for granted. Forget about enjoying the happy memory of David Treadwell kicking a game winning FG at Georgia in 1986, they don’t even remember how to use the bathroom. It’s sad. I see it a lot at work. Think of all the history and happy times lost because of Alzheimer’s. Think of all the stress put on friends and family members of people who have Alzheimer’s. The Alzheimer’s Association does a lot of good work for patients with Alzheimer’s and their caregivers.
*****
They are having their Memory Walk on October 23, 2010. Our office is raising money for them. For the past 3 years, I have raised the most money at our office. As I write this, I am again in 1st place... but there are people here now who have a good shot at beating me.  Please don't let this happen.  So if you don't want to donate for the patients or caregivers... do it for me. Help me stay #1. Give here. Don’t forget.

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Lieutenant William B. Avery (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on June 5, 1862 at Tranters Creek, North Carolina. His citation reads:

Handled his battery with greatest coolness amidst the hottest fire.

Sergeant David Ayers (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on May 22, 1863 at Vicksburg, Mississippi. His citation reads:

Gallantry in the charge of the "volunteer storming party."

Private James F. Ayers (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on April 23, 1875 at Sappa Creek, Kansas. His citation reads:

Rapid pursuit, gallantry, energy, and enterprise in an engagement with Indians.

No comments:

Post a Comment