Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Monday, October 18, 2010

HAPPY BIRTHDAY SUSIE!!!!!

That’s right, my little Susie is a year old today (which is good, because baby #3 will be here before we know it). A lot has happened in Susie’s first year of life...


I got my MBA
Winthrop won (another) Big South Men’s Basketball Championship
MaMa turned 95
The Revolutionary War Heroes won the College World Series
I floated down the mighty Edisto
The long-standing Adrian/Greg rivalry ended at the Edisto Peace Accords
The Wife got pregnant with Baby #3
MaMa passed away
The Wife turned 30
The Wife got a new job


It’s been a busy year...


Happy Birthday Susie!!!!!


GREAT NEWS!!!!!!!! I have now reached (and even passed) my goal of $1,000 for the Memory Walk. Of course, I couldn’t have done it (or done even close to it) without all of my friends and family who were good enough to give. Some gave a little, some gave a lot... but I wouldn’t have been able to reach my goal without all of them giving. I truly appreciate all who gave.


Better news!!!!!! You can still give! Yes, I reached my goal, but I’m still collecting money for the Memory Walk! Why? That’s simple... because I can. I sent out an email once mentioning that over 5 million Americans are living with this disease. I’d like to say I’m doing it for all of them... but I’m not. My reasons are a little more personal. I’m doing it for my friends who have had grandparents with Alzheimer’s. I’m doing it because my parents lost a dear friend to this disease. I’m doing it because I remember talking to MaMa about what Mr. Coccula was going through taking care of his wife who had this disease. Does that name sound familiar? If you were at MaMa’s funeral, you heard me talk about Mr. Coccula... if you weren’t there, maybe you read what I said. This is my small way of thanking him. So, yes, I try to be funny with the emails and the posts asking you to give for me... that’s just how I am. But the real reason I keep asking is because I feel I owe it to the people close to me who have had to fight Alzheimer’s. If you haven’t given and you’d like to, just go here.


The I’m just sayin... Football Predictions Results


Friday Night
James Island vs. Goose Creek. Got this one right... Goose Creek won 50-21.


Summerville at Wando – Got this one right, too... Summerville won 28-19.


Fort Dorchester vs. West Ashley – Missed this one... Fort Dorchester won 20-16.


Ashley Ridge vs. Beaufort – Missed this one, too... Beaufort won 42-7.


Dorman vs. Mauldin – I got this one right... Dorman won 42-24.


I ended Friday with a winning record (3-2).


Saturday
#10 USC at Kentucky – I knew this was a “trap game”. I knew it, I knew it, I knew it. And yet, I couldn’t bring myself to pick Kentucky in a football game. I couldn’t bring myself to pick a team with a coach named “Joker”. But I should have. I got this one wrong as USC lost 28-31. Some of my friends who cheer for The Revolutionary War Heroes may see this as a reason not to give to the Memory Walk. I see it as a clear sign they should give. There’s still a lot of season left... USC could still have a great year... or a very bad year. Now’s the time to give (just in case). The good news is USC is still on top of the SEC East, so they’ve got that going for them.


Clemson vs. Maryland – Well, I was wrong in more ways than one with this game. I thought it would be close... it wasn’t. I thought Maryland would win... they didn’t. Not to harp on this Memory Walk thing, but I can’t help but point out Clemson fans have been very supportive... and their team won. Still, a little more support probably wouldn’t hurt... you know... just in case. Anyway, Clemson won this one 31-7. Highlight of the game (for me) was seeing Dabo go off on the linesman and get a flag for unsportsmanlike conduct. I thought it was great. I doubt we’ll ever see it again (from him, at least), but I thought it was great. It takes a lot for a football coach to get a flag. Who knew throwing gum would do it. Like I told Dad... the linesman should just be happy it wasn’t Danny Ford standing there... ‘cause Danny wouldn’t have thrown gum. Oh, word reached me that my remark about the 1992 game didn’t go un-noticed... though I must point out I wasn’t told that Sonny had a problem with what I said. Think about that.


Navy vs. SMU – I was right... Navy won 28-21.


CSU vs. Gardner-Webb – Well, I missed this one... CSU lost 25-35.


Saturday wasn’t that good for me (1-3)... overall record after Saturday, 4-5.


Sunday
Pittsburgh vs. Cleveland – Welcome back Big Ben! I was right... Steelers won 28-10.


Miami at Green Bay – I would like to take this moment to point out something. When I pick games, I usually say so-and-so by X number of points. The number of points thing is just for fun. I’m really just picking win or lose. I hardly ever get the points thing right. For this game, I did. I picked Miami by 3 and I was right! Miami won 23-20.


Sunday was good for me (2-0)... my overall weekend record, 6-5. My stats to date are:


High School: 20-11


College: 12-14


NFL: 5-2


Overall: 37-27


Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:


First Lieutenant/Adjutant George W. Baird (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on September 30, 1877 at Bear Paw Mountain, Montana. His citation reads:


Most distinguished gallantry in action with the Nez Perce Indians.


Lieutenant Colonel Addison E. Baker (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on August 1, 1943 at Ploesti Raid, Rumania. His citation reads:


For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity above and beyond the call of duty in action with the enemy on 1 August 1943. On this date he led his command, the 93d Heavy Bombardment Group, on a daring low-level attack against enemy oil refineries and installations at Ploesti, Rumania. Approaching the target, his aircraft was hit by a large caliber antiaircraft shell, seriously damaged and set on fire. Ignoring the fact he was flying over terrain suitable for safe landing, he refused to jeopardize the mission by breaking up the lead formation and continued unswervingly to lead his group to the target upon which he dropped his bombs with devastating effect. Only then did he leave formation, but his valiant attempts to gain sufficient altitude for the crew to escape by parachute were unavailing and his aircraft crashed in flames after his successful efforts to avoid other planes in formation. By extraordinary flying skill, gallant leadership and intrepidity, Lt. Col. Baker rendered outstanding, distinguished, and valorous service to our Nation.


Coxswain Benjamin F. Baker (US Navy) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on May 11, 1898 on the USS Nashville. His citation reads:


On board the U.S.S. Nashville during the cutting of the cable leading from Cienfuegos, Cuba, 11 May 1898. Facing the heavy fire of the enemy, Baker set an example of extraordinary bravery and coolness throughout this action.

No comments:

Post a Comment