Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Monday, September 27, 2010

Update from the weekend...

Before we get to the results from last weekend, let’s start with a little story from last Thursday night.

I decided I would take Mary Ruth to the James Island/Ashley Ridge football game if The Wife got home in time. The Wife got home a little after 7:30, but since Ashley Ridge isn’t too far away, MR and I decided we’d go to the game (fyi... I was wearing what I wore to work... my blue JI golf shirt and khaki pants). We got to the gate with about a minute left in the first quarter. I politely told the lady selling tickets that it was just me and the four year old. She politely told me it’d be $16. I politely told her that she was out of her freakin’ mind (who’d they think they were... Summerville?!) and if that school really needed that much money they should charge the church more to use their building and stop trying to rip off hard workers such as myself. I went on to tell her, “Don’t be fooled by the shirt I’m wearing. I only live a few minutes away and this game is on TV, so you’re crazy if you think I’m paying $16!” Ok, I didn’t say any of that. I was going to (especially the part about the church), but she changed her mind before I could say anything. Turns out, MR got in for free (which she should have) while I had to pay $8 for me (still a scam if you ask me... but I admit I haven’t been to a high school football game in a long time). So we got in and went to the JI side of the field. There was a pretty good crowd for both schools at the game. We sat down and that’s about all I remember of the game. I spent the rest of the night talking with Mary Ruth and listening to students behind me talk. Oh, my eyes were watching the game... but my brain was elsewhere. These are some of the things you missed...

Student A: “Hey, is that Greg?”

Student B: “Nah... It can’t be. Dude looks like he ate Greg”.

Student A: “Is that his daughter with him?”

Student B: “Maybe... or it could be his half-time snack”.

(Student’s can be so mean at that age)....
*****
Mary Ruth: “Daddy! That boy in the white pushed that boy in the red!” (***note... I don’t remember if the Ashley Ridge uni’s where red or not, but she said they were. For some reason, I thought they might be a different color, but she went with red so that’s what we’ll use.)

Me: “It’s ok sweetie... That’s how you play football”.

MR: “I think he’s being mean. We don’t push our friends when we play with them. I’m telling Mommy”.
*****
MR: “Daddy! Look at the cheerleaders! Can you take a picture of them?”

Me: “No”

MR: “Why?”

Me: “I don’t have a camera”

MR: “Please Daddy! Oh, I have an idea! You can take a picture of them with your phone!”

Me: “No”

MR: “Daddy! I really want a picture of them! Why won’t you take a picture with your phone?”

Me: “Because the police will arrest me”

MR: “Why will they arrest you?”

Me: “Because that’s what they do to 31 year old men who take pictures with their phone of high school cheerleaders”

MR: “Oh”
(***Note: I don’t think we were real loud, but the guy in front of us got a kick out of that conversation***).
*****
MR: “Daddy, aren’t those cheerleaders so beautiful?”

Me: “Sure”

MR: “I think they’re the prettiest cheerleaders ever!”

Me: “Eh... I’ll have to disagree with you on that, but whatever”

MR: “Daddy. You don’t think they are the prettiest cheerleaders ever?”

Me: “No”

MR: “But Daddy, you said they were beautiful!”

Me: “1. You said they were beautiful and I agreed. 2. These cheerleaders are no where NEAR as pretty as the cheerleaders when I was in school”

MR: “Daddy! That’s not nice”

Me: “Listen, I’m not saying they’re ugly or anything. They look fine. I’m just saying they aren’t the prettiest cheerleaders ever because I think the cheerleaders who were in school with me were (and are) prettier”

MR: “Well, I think these cheerleaders are the prettiest cheerleaders ever!”

Me: “That’s fine... but you’re wrong”
(***Note: This went on and on for the better part of the 2nd Quarter***).
*****
Me: “Look Mary Ruth, the band”

MR: “Wow!”

Me: “Mommy was in the band”

MR: “Is she out there now?”

Me: “No, she was in the band in high school”

MR: “Oh. Was she in this band?”

Me: “No, she was in the band at HER high school”

MR: “Oh. Where’s Mommy?”

Me: “Never mind”
*****
MR: “Look Daddy! You look like the band!” (That’s right... JI’s band was wearing blue JI golf shirts and khaki pants).

Me: “Crap”
*****
So there you have it. We stayed until the middle of the 4th quarter. If they want to play these games on a “school” night, I think they should start earlier. It was waaaay too late at night when we left. That was my only complaint. Well, that and the amount they charge you to get in. Other than that, it was a fun time. I think Mary Ruth had fun and that’s what really matters.

The I’m just sayin... Football Prediction Results

Thursday Night

James Island at Ashley Ridge – I said JI would win and... I was wrong! :( Ashley Ridge was able to hand JI their first loss of the season. Final Score: 28-21, Ashley Ridge

Friday Night

Summerville at Stratford – I said Summerville would win and I was right! Final Score: 41-27, Summerville

Goose Creek at Fort Dorchester – I picked Goose Creek. I was right! Final Score: 42-28, Goose Creek

Saturday

#12 USC at #17 Auburn – Here is what I said, “This should be a great game. The Revolutionary War Heroes are facing a beat-up Auburn team. The Tigers are at home and USC is having to deal with the news that its all-time leading receiver (Kenny McKinley) has died in an apparent suicide. Hard to tell how this one will go. I’m going to say USC by 1”. I thought it was a good game. Not great... but good. For a minute I thought the Revolutionary War Heroes were going to escape with a “W”, but it just didn’t work out for them. Auburn won and proved that the game last weekend against Clemson wasn’t a fluke. So I didn’t get this one right... Final Score: 35-27, Auburn

Charleston Southern at Hawaii – I said Hawaii would win and boy was I right. Final Score: 66-7, Hawaii

Sunday

Pittsburgh at Tampa Bay - I said the Steelers would win and I was right! Final Score: 38-13

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Quarter Gunner Charles Asten (US Navy) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on May 5, 1864 while on board the USS Signal on the Red River. His citation reads:

Served on board the U.S.S. Signal, Red River, 5 May 1864. Proceeding up the Red River, the U.S.S. Signal engaged a large force of enemy field batteries and sharpshooters, returning their fire until the Federal ship was totally disabled, at which time the white flag was raised. Although on the sick list, Q.G. Asten courageously carried out his duties during the entire engagement.

Private Edgar R. Aston (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on May 30, 1868 at San Carlos, Arizona. His citation reads:

With 2 other men he volunteered to search for a wagon passage out of a 4,000-foot valley wherein an infantry column was immobile. This small group passed 6 miles among hostile Apache terrain finding the sought passage. On their return trip down the canyon they were attacked by Apaches who were successfully held at bay.

Ship’s Cook, First Class Daniel Atkins (US Navy) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on February 11, 1898 while on board the USS Cushing. His citation reads:

On board the U.S.S. Cushing, 11 February 1898. Showing gallant conduct, Atkins attempted to save the life of the late Ens. Joseph C. Breckenridge, U.S. Navy, who fell overboard at sea from that vessel on this date.

No comments:

Post a Comment