Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Medal of Honor... and Football Predictions

They are having a bunch of Medal of Honor events in Charleston this week. Too bad for me, I didn’t realize tickets would be needed for these events. Also too bad for me, the organizers of this event refused to recognize I’m just sayin... as part of the media. I guess I’ll have to get over it... but I REALLY wish I could make it to the autograph session. I think around 60 of the 80 something recipients of this award are in town. I think it would be GREAT to be able to get their autographs... no just for the autograph, but also because it would mean being that close to these men.

I saw an article in the paper earlier this week where one of these men was asked about the event that earned him the Medal of Honor. He said, “I just did what anyone else would have done”. HA! Really?! Are you kidding me?! Have any of you been reading about these men on my blog? Granted, some of the citations for the older (pre-WWI) recipients don’t always have a “WOW” factor... but look at the citations for the men from WWII to today. These men did not do things that anyone else would do. Sure, on paper I’d say I’d do that. And if I were ever in their situations, I’d like to think I’d act that way. But let’s be honest here... I don’t like going into my own backyard at night without Maverick going with me to protect me. So the odds that I would do what these men did aren’t exactly in my favor. I understand that some (most... all?) of these men don’t always really want to be seen as “special”. They say the real heroes are the men that died and they just did what they had to do. I understand that. I’m sure some (most... all?) even feel guilty because they lived while their buddy died. But they should never (NEVER!) think that “anyone else” would have done what they did. Because I’m pretty sure that isn’t true. I’d be willing to bet that should most people be in the situation most of these men were in, there is a better chance they’d end up in the fetal position rather than act the way these men acted. I’m just sayin...

So I took Mary Ruth to her first women’s college volleyball match last night. The Winthrop Eagles CRUSHED the Charleston Southern Buccaneers (***Note: I’m not sure if the schools say “Lady” for their women's sports teams... so we may have watched the Lady Eagles CRUSH the Lady Bucs). It was fun. I think MR had fun. Volleyball is a fun sport to watch. I’m sure the people around me got tired of my yelling “WOW” every time someone hit an arm-breaking spike, but I couldn’t help it. They probably also got tired of me asking Jeremy 100 questions, but this happens at all sporting events (even sports I usually do a good job of following). I would have asked him 101 questions, but he anticipated one of the questions and answered it before I could ask. I don’t want to start any fights here, but The Wife could learn a thing or two from Jeremy. Anyway... What’s the deal with college volleyball uniforms? Are high school uniforms like that too? They weren’t when I was in high school. What am I talking about? The “shorts” these girls wear (if you can call them shorts) are shorter than my underwear and tight enough that I can only assume they have to roll them on. I mean, I wouldn’t know about this sort of thing, but Jeremy said he’s seen strippers wear more below the waist (ok, he didn’t really say that... but I think he was thinking it). Honestly, my first thought was the coaches probably don’t have any problem getting these girls to do conditioning drills since they have to wear these uniforms. Listen, as a guy... I’m not complaining. But as the father of 2 girls (with a possible #3 on the way) who I hope will earn scholarships for college, this did disturb me somewhat. But really... the match was fun to watch. Volleyball in general is fun to watch, I think. There was actually a pretty good crowd there. I’ve seen fewer students at basketball games than I saw there last night. Maybe I need to set up a “Guys Night” with the guys in my Sunday School class and we can go watch CSU play... you know, so we can all shake our heads and talk about how the girls should have more clothes on. :)

Not sure how much I’ll get to post the rest of this week, so here are my football predictions for this weekend.

The I’m just sayin... Football Predictions

Friday Night
James Island at Beaufort – JI will bounce back after their loss to Ashley Ridge to win this one. JI by 7

Summerville vs West Ashley – I’m sure Summerville is going to be looking ahead to their big match-up next week at James Island (perhaps a I’m just sayin... road trip?)... but they’ll still win this one. Summerville by 13

Ashley Ridge at Wando – Ashley Ridge looks to keep the momentum going after the greatest win in program history last Thursday. Ashley Ridge by 3

Fort Dorchester at Colleton County – This just isn’t Fort Dorchester’s season. Colleton County by 7

Saturday
Clemson vs #16 Miami 12:00pm (ESPN2) – Not real sure how this one isn’t the 3:30 ABC game, but whatever. It’s Homecoming for the Tigers and they should be well rested after their bruising game at Auburn. Miami is a good team, but Clemson seems to be pretty good too. I’m going to say this will be a close game (possible OT) with Clemson coming out on top by 3.

Navy at Air Force 2:30pm (VERSUS) – I’m not sure what Air Force has... but I know what Navy has. Navy by 14.

CSU is off this week.

The Revolutionary War Heroes are off this week.

Sunday
Pittsburgh vs Baltimore 1:00pm (CBS... not sure if it’ll be on down here but it should be) – I like Charlie Batch. I love the Steelers Defense. Baltimore is a good team. But the Steelers are at home. The only way Baltimore wins is if they knock out Batch... because I’m not sure who the back-up QB is for this game. Steelers by 3.

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Private First Class Thomas E. Atkins (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on March 10, 1945 at Villa Verde Trail, Luzon, Philippine Islands. His citation reads:

He fought gallantly on the Villa Verde Trail, Luzon, Philippine Islands. With 2 companions he occupied a position on a ridge outside the perimeter defense established by the 1st Platoon on a high hill. At about 3 a.m., 2 companies of Japanese attacked with rifle and machinegun fire, grenades, TNT charges, and land mines, severely wounding Pfc. Atkins and killing his 2 companions. Despite the intense hostile fire and pain from his deep wound, he held his ground and returned heavy fire. After the attack was repulsed, he remained in his precarious position to repel any subsequent assaults instead of returning to the American lines for medical treatment. An enemy machinegun, set up within 20 yards of his foxhole, vainly attempted to drive him off or silence his gun. The Japanese repeatedly made fierce attacks, but for 4 hours, Pfc. Atkins determinedly remained in his fox hole, bearing the brunt of each assault and maintaining steady and accurate fire until each charge was repulsed. At 7 a.m., 13 enemy dead lay in front of his position; he had fired 400 rounds, all he and his 2 dead companions possessed, and had used 3 rifles until each had jammed too badly for further operation. He withdrew during a lull to secure a rifle and more ammunition, and was persuaded to remain for medical treatment. While waiting, he saw a Japanese within the perimeter and, seizing a nearby rifle, killed him. A few minutes later, while lying on a litter, he discovered an enemy group moving up behind the platoon's lines. Despite his severe wound, he sat up, delivered heavy rifle fire against the group and forced them to withdraw. Pfc. Atkins' superb bravery and his fearless determination to hold his post against the main force of repeated enemy attacks, even though painfully wounded, were major factors in enabling his comrades to maintain their lines against a numerically superior enemy force.

Yeoman Thomas E. Atkinson (US Navy) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on August 5, 1864 on board the USS Richmond in Mobile Bay. His citation reads:

On board the U.S.S. Richmond, Mobile Bay, 5 August 1864; commended for coolness and energy in supplying the rifle ammunition, which was under his sole charge, in the action in Mobile Bay on the morning of 5 August 1864. He was a petty officer on board the U.S. Frigate Congress in 1842-46; was present and assisted in capturing the whole of the Buenos Ayrean fleet by that vessel off Montevideo; joined the Richmond in September 1860; was in the action with Fort McRea, the Head of the Passes of the Mississippi, Forts Jackson and St. Philip, the Chalmettes, the rebel ironclads and gunboats below New Orleans, Vicksburg, Port Hudson, and at the surrender of New Orleans.

Ordinary Seaman Apprentice John F. Auer (US Navy) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on November 20, 1883 on board the USS Lancaster, Marseille, France. His citation reads:

On board the U.S.S. Lancaster, Marseille, France, 20 November 1883. Jumping overboard, Auer rescued from drowning a French lad who had fallen into the sea from a stone pier astern of the ship.

No comments:

Post a Comment