Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Last day married to a woman in her 20’s...

Yep, today is the last day The Wife will be in her 20’s. Remember to check back tomorrow to read 30 things about The Wife.

Mary Ruth went with me Sunday to “Pool Day” with the youth. On the way there something happened that made me so proud of her. We were listening to her new favorite song (Play Something Country by Brooks and Dunn) and she was singing along and then the song ended and the next song came on. Right after the first words, I hear my little princess say “Daddy! This song is Mama Tried!”... That’s right; my little girl can recognize Merle Haggard’s Mama Tried after hearing the first couple of words. I haven’t been this proud of her since she started bringing me beer without me having to ask her to. Ok, she doesn’t do that yet... but trust me; you’ll be the first to know when she does. Anyway, it is times like this that let me know I’m doing something right as a parent.

For those of you scoring at home, we have now added ThunderCats to our rotation of cartoons that we watch (along with GI Joe and Transformers). I have started to cut back on the amount of House we watch together.

I would like to thank the state for having another “Tax Free” weekend. I say that sarcastically because I don’t really thank them for it. The amount of help one tax free weekend is for a single family is far outweighed by the amount of revenue lost by the state. Estimates are the state lost over $2 million over this past weekend. I doubt the average family saved enough to make it worth that. They say the tax free weekend helps the poor... but what little the poor are able to “save” because of this weekend is overshadowed by the government programs (which more times than not help the poor... or at least should help the poor) that are cut because of a shortage of revenue. Listen, I’m not a huge fan of government spending... and I dislike taxes just as much as the next person... but I really hate people talking about how they are having to cut, cut, cut because of a budget shortage and then they go and cut revenue. I'm just sayin...


Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Staff Sergeant Lucian Adams received his Medal of Honor for his actions on October 28, 1944 in France. His citation reads:

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at risk of life above and beyond the call of duty on 28 October 1944, near St. Die, France. When his company was stopped in its effort to drive through the Mortagne Forest to reopen the supply line to the isolated third battalion, S/Sgt. Adams braved the concentrated fire of machineguns in a lone assault on a force of German troops. Although his company had progressed less than 10 yards and had lost 3 killed and 6 wounded, S/Sgt. Adams charged forward dodging from tree to tree firing a borrowed BAR from the hip. Despite intense machinegun fire which the enemy directed at him and rifle grenades which struck the trees over his head showering him with broken twigs and branches, S/Sgt. Adams made his way to within 10 yards of the closest machinegun and killed the gunner with a hand grenade. An enemy soldier threw hand grenades at him from a position only 10 yards distant; however, S/Sgt. Adams dispatched him with a single burst of BAR fire. Charging into the vortex of the enemy fire, he killed another machinegunner at 15 yards range with a hand grenade and forced the surrender of 2 supporting infantrymen. Although the remainder of the German group concentrated the full force of its automatic weapons fire in a desperate effort to knock him out, he proceeded through the woods to find and exterminate 5 more of the enemy. Finally, when the third German machinegun opened up on him at a range of 20 yards, S/Sgt. Adams killed the gunner with BAR fire. In the course of the action, he personally killed 9 Germans, eliminated 3 enemy machineguns, vanquished a specialized force which was armed with automatic weapons and grenade launchers, cleared the woods of hostile elements, and reopened the severed supply lines to the assault companies of his battalion.

Master Sergeant Stanley T. Adams received his Medal of Honor for his actions in Korea on February 4, 1951. His citation reads:

M/Sgt. Adams, Company A, distinguished himself by conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity above and beyond the call of duty in action against an enemy. At approximately 0100 hours, M/Sgt. Adams' platoon, holding an outpost some 200 yards ahead of his company, came under a determined attack by an estimated 250 enemy troops. Intense small-arms, machine gun, and mortar fire from 3 sides pressed the platoon back against the main line of resistance. Observing approximately 150 hostile troops silhouetted against the skyline advancing against his platoon, M/Sgt. Adams leaped to his feet, urged his men to fix bayonets, and he, with 13 members of his platoon, charged this hostile force with indomitable courage. Within 50 yards of the enemy M/Sgt. Adams was knocked to the ground when pierced in the leg by an enemy bullet. He jumped to his feet and, ignoring his wound, continued on to close with the enemy when he was knocked down 4 times from the concussion of grenades which had bounced off his body. Shouting orders he charged the enemy positions and engaged them in hand-to-hand combat where man after man fell before his terrific onslaught with bayonet and rifle butt. After nearly an hour of vicious action M/Sgt. Adams and his comrades routed the fanatical foe, killing over 50 and forcing the remainder to withdraw. Upon receiving orders that his battalion was moving back he provided cover fire while his men withdrew. M/Sgt. Adams' superb leadership, incredible courage, and consummate devotion to duty so inspired his comrades that the enemy attack was completely thwarted, saving his battalion from possible disaster. His sustained personal bravery and indomitable fighting spirit against overwhelming odds reflect the utmost glory upon himself and uphold the finest traditions of the infantry and the military service.

No comments:

Post a Comment