Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Wednesday, July 7, 2010

My votes for the Charleston Baseball HOF

It’s time to vote for the 2010 class of the Charleston Baseball Hall of Fame. I know we’ve talked some on here about the Charleston Baseball Hall of Fame, but I’m not sure if we’ve ever listed all who are in it. So, here is a list of who is in:

2009 - John Dodds, Jr.
W.S. "Bull" Durham
Donald Morillo – My friend and Sonny’s former teammate
Doug Pounder

2008 - Bryce Florie – In thanks to Sonny
Danny Jones
Charley Smith
Richard Wieters

2007 - 1955 Cannon Street YMCA All-Star Team
1990 Citadel World Series Team
Anthony Jenkins – Who can forget “The Slide”
Modie Risher

2006 - Ty Cline
Mike Cook
Gary McJunkin
Chal Port – Greatest baseball coach in SC

2005 - John Candelaria

2004 - David Cone

2003 - Willie Randolph
Gorman Thomas – from James Island

These are the candidates for 2010:

The finalists, in alphabetical order, for the Class of 2010 include:
Bill Ackerman
Tim Cook
Irish Abney Danehay
Lee Glaze
Fred Jordan
Mike Kimbrell
Alfred von Kolnitz
Tim Linker
Robert F. Morrison
Channing Proctor
D.K. Walters
Kenny Wilkinson

I voted for Channing Proctor (founder of The Charleston Miracle League) and D.K. Walters (long time former Head Coach of the West Ashley American Legion baseball team). I also wrote in two people (who should be on the ballot). The first is Coach Tom Hatley, who has over 400 wins as the head coach at James Island High School (in about 21 years at the school). Included in those wins are 2 State Championships, 3 Lower State Championships, 3 Lower State Runner-ups, and 7 region titles. I can say, without a doubt, that while those teams had talent it was coaching that won the championships. We beat teams that, looking back on it now, we had no business beating. The final person I voted for was Phil Hartig. From The Citadel website: Phil is the most prolific hitter in Citadel baseball history as he established 14 offensive records and earned first team All-Southern Conference honors all four years. The league’s Player of the Year in 2001, he was also the 1998 SoCon Freshman of the Year and twice earned All-America honors from Collegiate Baseball (second team in 2000; third team in 2001). He finished his career ranked fourth in the NCAA career total bases and seventh in career hits. Among his many school records, Hartig holds the career marks in games played (239), runs (230), hits in a season (99) and career (360), doubles (76), RBI in a season (86) and career (290), slugging percentage (.673) and fielding percentage (.989). Owning a career batting average of .367, Hartig holds the mark with 17 home runs in a season and for his career, he belted 64 home runs (second best is Anthony Jenkins’ 32). He played on Fred Jordan-coached teams that went a combined 155-88 and started on teams that advanced to three NCAA regionals, won three Southern Conference Tournament titles and two SoCon regular season titles. Hartig was drafted in the 24th round by the Florida Marlins. Last, but not least, Phil helps out with the Summerville Miracle League.

After I get these two in, I will work to get Coach John Chalus from Stratford High School in. I don’t know all of his stats… I just know that I have always thought (even back when I was playing) that he was the 2nd best high school baseball coach in the area (behind Coach Hatley, of course).

No comments:

Post a Comment