Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Wednesday, July 21, 2010

I'm back and better than ever...

Fear not, my dear friends, this blog has not been shutdown. I know some time has past between my last post and this one, but I am now back. The Man and The Wife have both been keeping me busy, but know that you were always on my mind.

If you haven’t done so already, I highly recommend you check out Andy Stanley’s series on How To Be Rich. I just got around to listening to it and so far (part 1) it’s great.

I also recommend you check out the podcasts from my new favorite church.

Like you, I am excited that Psych is back (season 5 started last Wednesday). Check it out every Wednesday night at 10:00pm on USA. As I’m sure you will remember, Psych is up there with NCIS as my favorite TV show.

I had a chance to visit MaMa last night. It’s always great seeing her. Mary Ruth loves being her “nurse”. I also got to see Mom, Dad, Teri, Meredith, Ansley, Uncle George, Aunt “PBR” Yvonne, and Susan. Somehow (and I don’t know how this happened... really, I don’t... ok, maybe I brought it up) it became known last night that I am Mom’s favorite child. “Ok”, you’re saying, “big deal... we already knew that”. True, but it also became known last night that I am in the top 2 of Aunt Yvonne’s favorite children (fyi... she has 3 of her own kids, so she likes me more than she likes 2 of them. And listen, I’m not saying she doesn’t like, nay, love all of her children... I’m just sayin she likes me more).

So we were talking to MaMa last night and The Wife was standing there holding Susie. Susie has learned to wave since the last time we saw MaMa, so of course we were all trying to get her to wave. MaMa was laying there waving to Susie and we’re all waving back to MaMa and telling Susie “Wave to MaMa”. Susie is smiling at MaMa but not doing anything else. So we keep this up for a couple of minutes until I notice that Susie is waving like a champ... only it’s her left hand/arm that’s waving and it’s behind The Wife (so nobody could see it).

I was asked a question last night and it’s one I’ve been asked before. Who is Sonny? My gut reaction to this question is “Read my blog and you’ll find out”. My other gut reaction to this is “You are in my family and you can’t figure out who Sonny is?” Another gut reaction (hey, I have a big gut) is “Why don’t I get these questions from non-family members?” Alas, I will move away from my gut reactions and give a reaction from my brain (just one... it’s smaller than my gut)... Pay attention because I don’t plan on explaining this again. Sonny is my brother Kevin. I can already tell this explanation will lead to another question “Why do you call him Sonny?” The short answer is there are two reasons: 1. It’s my blog. 2. I want to. The longer answer is this: Watch The Godfather. While watching The Godfather, picture me as Michael (this shouldn’t be hard to do, I do it all the time). Now, if I’m Michael that would make Kevin either Sonny or Fredo. So let’s take a look at Sonny and Fredo (keeping in mind that I like Kevin). Sonny was the head of the family for a brief time while the Don was in the hospital, so he’s seen as a leader. He also had a temper and ended up being gunned down at a toll booth (but not before helping start a war between the 5 families). Fredo was weak/sickly who fumbled the gun when the Don got shot and just sat there crying instead of going after the guys. He also betrayed Michael (one of the best scenes from The Godfather II... Michael kisses Fredo and says “I know it was you, Fredo. You broke my heart. You broke my heart”) and ended up being executed by Al Neri (on Michael’s orders) while fishing. Now, if that doesn’t clear up why Kevin is called Sonny, then I don’t know what will.

So I had another chance to spend some time on the water with my new friend Adrian. 3 weekends in a row.... I’m starting to think she just likes seeing me in a bathing suit. Of course her husband was also there (I know he just likes seeing me in a bathing suit).

My Cubs are looking for a new manager now that Lou Piniella has announced he is going to retire at the end of the season. For the record, I’m just sayin... is endorsing Ryne Sandberg for the position. Ryno is a Cub great and has been a manager in their minor leagues for a few years now. I say give him a chance.

Word on the street is that the NBA is looking at just giving my Miami Heat the title next season. Why bother making teams play and risk having guys get hurt when everyone knows my boys are going to win. The only way this team could be any better is if they could somehow convince Charles Oakley to come out of retirement.

1 comment:

  1. thank you for explaining the background of Sonny :) I would like to think I'm the other of my mom's favorite children! so glad I got to see you and your family...hopefully I will get to see y'all before Christmas!
    -Susan

    ReplyDelete