Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Tuesday, June 22, 2010

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!!!!!!!

I would like to start today by wishing The Wife a Happy Anniversary! Today is our 8th Anniversary and I don’t know what I’d do without her (though I’m guessing there would be a lot of beer and video games… but there’s no use dwelling on what might have been).

I remember the day before The Wedding was the longest day of the year. HA! Get it?! The day before was June 21… the longest day of the year. Anyway, I remember it like it was yesterday. I woke up to the sounds of rain. Maybe, I thought, it’s only raining over our house. A short time later I got a call from Rebecca saying that The Wife wanted to talk to me because it was pouring down rain where they were (note: Rebecca was the maid of honor in The Wedding. Here, I feel, she dropped the ball in her role. In a situation like this, she should have been the one talking to The Wife… not me). So, it rained. It poured. At least our wedding wasn’t in a flood zone… wait a minute… it WAS in a flood zone. Downtown Charleston. I think it was also high tide.

I remember Coach Hatley coming into the church right before the service started.

I remember standing and waiting for The Wife to walk down the aisle… while my 2nd cousin Jim and my Uncle Keith were sitting behind me trying to make me laugh.

I remember my sister-in-law (Terry) boycotting The Wedding because she didn’t approve of The Wife. Or maybe it was because she’d just given birth to my favorite nephew a couple weeks before. I’ve heard it both ways.

I remember The Wife’s Aunt trying to talk me out of getting married (the rumor going around at the time was that she wanted me for herself... at least, I think that’s what I was telling people).

I remember slow dancing with The Wife to our song (You Shook Me All Night Long, by AC/DC).

You will note in the pictures below that I have hair. I have a theory about events in my life that happen when I have hair, but I’ll save that for another day.

I remember how beautiful The Wife looked.

I remember looking pretty good myself. ;)

Here was the starting line-up for the Groom’s team:



Back row (L to R): Michael, Louis, ME, Jeremy, Sonny. Front row (L to R): Dumpy, Thomas, Brent, Dad (Best Man)


And for the Bride’s team:


Back row (L to R): Jen, Meg, Elizabeth. Middle row (L to R): Rebecca (Maid of Honor), Daniella (Jr. Bridesmaid), The Wife, Rosalyn, Clair. Front row: Rebekah (Jr. Bridesmaid).



We also had two people read from the Bible – Teri and Old Jeremy (who, looking back really wasn’t all that old at the time). Below is a picture of my Kappa Sigma brothers who made it to the wedding. Old Jeremy is the guy on the far right. The other two guys not already seen in a picture before are Brock and Rhett.



This next pic is of me and The Wife leaving the party...




Over the past 8 years we’ve gained 3 dogs (Lucy – 2002, Maverick – 2004, Scooby – 2009), 2 children (Mary Ruth – 2005, Susie - 2009) and 1 house (2003).

What else was going on June 22, 2002?

*Texas beat South Carolina to win The College World Series.

*Europe was declared polio-free by the World Health Organization.

*Ann Landers died.

*Darryl Kile died.

People who have died on June 22: Judy Garland (1969), Fred Astaire (1987), Greg Horres (2002... HA! Just kidding), George Carlin (2008).

People think that I give The Wife a hard time on here... but that’s just not true. You see, on this date 8 years ago we became one. Therefore, when I “make fun of her” I’m really making fun of me. Of course, that means when she rolls her eyes at me, she’s really rolling her eyes at herself...

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. why are you saying kevin's name is sonny? is this some "brother" secret ya'll are keeping on purpose, from your ONLY sister?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Anniversary to a very adorable couple - who is that guy by the way?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jenn, you make a good point. You will note, I'm sure, that after 8 years with me The Wife is still as beautiful as she was back then. You will then note, I'm still sure, what 8 years of being with The Wife has done to me. I'm just sayin... :-)

    Teri, I changed his name because he's in the witness protection program. You just outed him. Way to go! Haha, just kidding, but if by "secret" you mean something I posted on this blog a few months ago then yes, it is a secret we are keeping from you. http://greghorres.blogspot.com/2010_03_01_archive.html

    Also, just as an fyi... he is my ONLY brother. You are the only one in the family with 2 brothers. My other nickname for him (which comes from a well known family story I just heard a couple weeks ago) is Keevin (Key-vin). It's a funny story that I probably won't share on here, but who knows...

    ReplyDelete
  5. is this story the same as "pay-it"?

    ReplyDelete