Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Thursday, January 7, 2010

For any of you who want to know, I am still sick. It’s a working kind of sick. It’s a head cold/sinus type thing and I seem to be getting to the end of it. I can’t wait. I’m sure I’ll get over it just in time for my last semester to start. That’s right friends, Tuesday night will be the first class of my last semester in school ever. The Wife is just as happy about this as I am. She keeps saying something about me “helping around the house”... not really sure what that means.

Speaking of sick... Maverick has some kind of eye infection... almost looks like doggy pink eye. I told him he needs to get that looked at, but he never goes to the vet when I tell him to. I’m sure I’ll end up taking him. Also, Scooby has an ear infection. Poor guy... he’s got those big floppy ears so when he shakes his head all you hear is the “boom, boom, boom” of his ears hitting his head. We’re going to need to get him something for his ear before he gives himself a concussion.

Congrats to Boise State for winning a share of the I’m just sayin... National Championship. The other half will go to the winner of tonight’s game between Alabama and Texas.

Congrats also to my dear friend Andre Dawson on his election into the Baseball Hall of Fame. My friendship with Hawk dates back to the mid 1980s when I would come home from school, turn on WGN, and then sit and watch the Cubs play while I should have been doing my homework (or playing outside if it was summer time). How it took him this long to get in blows my mind. Then again, I said the same thing when Ryne Sandberg was finally elected... so I guess I shouldn’t be surprised over these things anymore. The other 3 I would have liked to see make it from this ballot were Lee Smith, Roberto Alomar, and Dale Murphy. Of the three, it looks like Alomar has the best shot at getting in next year.

Don’t forget to check out my spin-off blog. I do get some good forwards from time to time and I thought you might like this... is where I’m going to put those forwards.

A special thanks to GEICO for sponsoring my blog today.


My parents have Rock Band for the Wii. I love it. I think they got the Wii for their grandkids to play with when visiting. What usually happens is the grandkids play outside while my generation plays Rock Band. I have to say it’s fun playing it with my brother and sister (and sister-in-law). It would be more fun if my sister was good at it... but what can you do. We can’t all be musically gifted.

Chase Towne update: I’m going to post two updates. The first is from Christine (Chase’s mom) on January 4 giving us some bad news. The second is from Chuck (his dad) on January 5. From Christine (January 4): Hello everyone, Christine here. Chuck and I met with the doctors today about Chase's scans. It wasn't the best news, but it also wasn't the worst. They found a tiny bit of cancer in his bone marrow again, they found a new spot on his shoulder blade and there was no change in the existing tumors. They wanted to start more chemo tomorrow, but Chase's counts are not good enough. We will try again on Monday. It will be 5 straight days of chemo (Mon-Fri). The one thing we will do differently is try doing this outpatient. We will go to clinic everyday, but at anytime he could be admitted. We thought this might be better on everyone. He could sleep good at night and we would not have to chase him around the hospital attached to an IV pole. (EXHAUSTING!) We will do what we have to, but it would be nice to be able to sleep in our own beds. Around the 1st of Feb, he will get more scans and more bone marrow biopsies. They will be sending his bone marrow out to a second location for more specialized tests. Chuck and I are considering this a mere bump in the road to the day when he is cancer free. I love you all and thank you for all the wonderful surprises we received around Christmas. With all the bad that is happening in this world, there is still good people doing great things. You all have taught me about the kind of person I want to be. Thank you for that and thank you for all of your prayers. Please keep our Miracle Baby Chase in your prayers. Love, Christine

From Chuck (January 5): This morning when I left for work Olivia, Chase, and Christine were in our bed, Olivia was giggling b/c she was on her daddy's pillow. This afternoon when I got home from work Chase met me at the back door yelling at the top of his little lungs DA-DE! DA-DE! These two events were only probably 20 seconds long. But it was the most exciting 20 seconds of my day.

I tell you this story to say, yes the last 24hrs or so were tough and yes our emotions have run to the extremes (mad, sad, confused and all in between). I do not think Christine and I slept much last night either. But it was in that moment when I came home I was reminded to live for today because tomorrow is not a given but a gift. It also reminded me these emotional extremes are nothing compared to what Chase has been through in the last 8 months.

Chase is doing well. His strong will is showing in other ways now. He does not like it when things don't go his way and he does not like having to stay inside on these cold days. Please say a prayer first thanking God for the best 20 seconds of my day and for strength for Chase as he gears up for Round 11.


Cleveland Cavs update: The Cavs beat the Wizards (who were without their main weapon) last night 121-98. They are traveling to Denver tonight where they will face the Nuggets tomorrow night. Right now Cleveland is 28-9 (17-6 in conference) and in first place of the Eastern Conference’s Central division.

Winthrop Eagles update: Winthrop had a tough weekend losing on the road to Coastal Carolina and Charleston Southern. The loss to Charleston Southern broke a 17 game winning streak the Eagles had over the Bucs. It was also the first time former Winthrop assistant and current CSU head coach Barclay Radabaugh had beaten the Eagles. Winthrop is back in action tonight as they face VMI. Right now, Winthrop is 5-9 (1-3 in the Big South). The Eagles are currently in 8th place in the Big South (with a lot of basketball left to play).

No comments:

Post a Comment