Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Monday, November 2, 2009

What's in a name......

Ever think about names? Why do people have the names they have? How about pets?

My brother has the same middle name (Copeland) that our maternal grandfather had. I have the same middle name (Winfield) as my Dad and paternal grandfather. Incidentally, I have the same initials (GWH) as my Dad and paternal grandfather… clearly making me Dad’s favorite. Or at least that’s what I tell myself. Speaking of my Dad, he was named after his dad. My nephew has the same middle name as my brother.

Mary Ruth gets part of her name (Mary) from The Mother-in-Law (and The Wife’s paternal grandmother) and my paternal grandmother (Ruth). Susie is named after my maternal grandmother. The Wife and I are probably the least original when it comes to names… but hey, we like ‘em.

Even my dogs have names that mean something. The Wife had a dog (Lucky) who died while we were in college so I told her when we got married we’d get a dog and name it after Lucky. So we found a dog that I loved (and The Wife liked)… but this was a girl dog… so we named her Lucy. Maverick got his name from my high school nickname (long story). Of course, this is also the name of a very funny Mel Gibson movie and the Tom Cruise character in Top Gun. Mary Ruth named Scooby… not hard to guess where she got that name from. It’s also interesting to note that Scooby is Spanish for pain in my a… well, I’m not 100% sure of the translation.

Cleveland Cavs update: The Cavs spent today preparing for their game tomorrow night vs. the Wizards. It should be another win for the Cavs.

Winthrop Eagles update: The Eagles are having their tip-off dinner this Thursday night. The Guest Speaker is Bob Valvano. I really wish I could be there to see him. Of course, if I could make it to the event, chances are I would be the Guest Speaker and Bob wouldn’t be there… at least, that’s what I’m telling myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment