Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Clemson/USC 1980/1984

There is a scene in The Godfather where we see Clemenza telling Michael that wars every five to ten years between the families are good because they help get rid of the bad blood. Such is the case when talking about the USC/Clemson football rivalry. Most people know about the fight in 2004 but few remember the fight in 1983. Granted the fight in 2004 involved more players and lasted longer… but it wasn’t the first and it won’t be the last. Below are videos from each game. One thing I remember from the 2004 game was a USC player standing at the bottom of The Hill taunting the Tiger players as they ran down. That’s nothing new really. Players have done it in the past and I’m sure they’ll do it in the future. The reason I remember this one is that after taunting the Tigers, this Gamecock player proceeded to fumble away the opening kickoff. Good one.

From the 1983 game (I love the audio on this one)


From 2004 (I could do without the audio on this one)


Now, back to our regular program…

Clemson: November 22, 1980. Coach Jim Carlen took his 14th ranked Gamecocks into Death Valley to face the unranked Tigers. The Gamecocks were feeling pretty good with future Heisman Trophy winner George Rogers running wild all season. Clemson, on the other hand, was just ready for the season to end. Then in the Clemson locker room before the game Coach Danny Ford pulled off one of the greatest motivation acts ever… orange pants. It sounds so simple, yet when the Tigers put on the orange pants they knew they couldn’t lose. And so, with the orange pants on, Clemson held USC to two FGs and won the game 27-6. Clemson would end the season with a 6-5 record (2-4 in the ACC). USC would go on to lose to Pitt in the Gator Bowl.

USC: November 24, 1984. Perhaps the greatest year in Gamecock football history. If not the greatest, it’s at least in the running. The week before this big game, the Gamecocks were ranked #2 with a very good shot at #1. All they had to do was take care of Navy on the road and then travel to Death Valley to crush the Tigers. It shouldn’t be a problem… the Gamecocks had already beaten #12 Georgia and #11 Florida State. So of course, Navy won 38-21. The Gamecocks were able to pull things together in time to beat the Tigers on ESPN 22-21. The Tigers would end the season with a 7-4 record (5-2 in the ACC). The Gamecocks would go on to lose to Oklahoma State in the Gator Bowl to end the season with a 10-2 record (the only 10 win season in Gamecock football history). The Gamecocks would also come in at #11 in the final AP poll.

Cleveland Cavs update: The Cavs still haven’t played since the last time I posted.

Winthrop Eagles update: The Eagles lost to the Clemson Tigers last night 102-66. The good news? It was a season high in points for the Eagles. Next up… at App State on Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment